Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who recently got engaged and is planning the wedding for next August. I feel terrible but there is just going to be so much stuff that I know she absolutely wants to do that she won't be able to. She's having her first dress fitting at the end of the month but honestly her and my other friends haven't been careful at all so I don't know how I feel about attending. And I know she wants a big bachelorette party but I don't see that happening either.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we just got our first case in a school. One student, in a high school. They have not specified yet how this person contracted the virus yet. Two classes have been dismissed for 14 days, and they are to self-isolate for the two week period, and are encouraged to get tested. The rest of the school is to remain open.
We also are now sitting at 12 active cases, bringing our total to 122. Most of the new cases have been travel related or contact with a travel case. I'm assuming these are thanks(covid)giving cases... :rolleyes2: as 8 cases are from 2 groups of 4 announced on Oct ,22nd and 23rd respectively. In each announcement it was "one travel related and three contact with travel related".
We'll see what the next week or so brings.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just saw this article about Amazon now having Lysol products in stock .... through third party sellers at ridiculous marked up prices :bat: Lysol disinfecting wipes and spray are back in stock at Amazon $18 for a single can of spray? No thanks. Didn't Amazon say they were going to crack down on marked up prices on disinfectants and other hot essential items by third party sellers?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still see ridiculous prices on that stuff on Amazon. They are so big they probably rely on violations being reported. I see the wipes and disinfecting wipes in the grocery off and on. Through the summer I would buy what I could when they were there. I have a pretty good stash now. I do occasionally buy wipes when I see them because I go through them faster then everything else. I have four different kinds. I have Lysol which are my favorite but I can't be choosy now. I also have Clorox, a store brand and some other off brand.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in Walgreen's yesterday, and a woman came up to the register with a shopping cart full of toilet paper. I wonder if the shortage is going to start up again. Cleaners and wipes are being used up, but toilet paper?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can fathom: you can never tell what will not be available during another surge/closure... and what can transpire after this election.

Last week, I could not find any toilet bowl cleaner!! of all things!! ridiculous... It is where you are and what they get for supplies. Feeling that if I went to another city, there would be a different shortage/lack of..

People are getting mask weary... many are not wearing masks, unless they have to... and many are trying to defy the orders of any establishment.

It is impossible to stockpile everything.. there is no way you can.. all you can do, is your best; with what you have available to you... Trying to think of everything is an impossibility.

Frightening.. but...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BJs had no toilet paper in stock today and only off-brands of paper towels which people were grabbing. Tissues were in short supply and only in the little cube boxes. I saw people with carts full of bulk packs of bottled water. People are definitely starting to hoard again here. I'm going to have to go back to the supermarket tomorrow to get toilet paper. The paper aisle was full today. I'll bring my little shopping cart with me so it's easier to get a bulky pack or two home.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
BJs had no toilet paper in stock today and only off-brands of paper towels which people were grabbing. Tissues were in short supply and only in the little cube boxes. I saw people with carts full of bulk packs of bottled water. People are definitely starting to hoard again here. I'm going to have to go back to the supermarket tomorrow to get toilet paper. The paper aisle was full today. I'll bring my little shopping cart with me so it's easier to get a bulky pack or two home.
Good Luck... From my experience, things are there for a few hours, and then disappear. You do not know when or where you will find them. Get some Toilet Bowl cleaner also.. none in my grocery store for 2 weeks.

Stock up on freezer food, baking supplies, and non perishables.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My freezer is full of raw cat food. I have no space to fit anything more in :sigh: I've been trying to stock up on pantry items.

I'm good on paper towels, napkins, and various cleaners / disinfectants and hand soap. I might be ok with my current supply of toilet paper until the end of the year but another pack or two won't hurt. In a pinch, I can grab one of those partial rolls from work :paperbag: The janitors always put full rolls in the dispenser and leave partial rolls sitting on top.

I hope the state doesn't shut down again and public transportation is reduced. Uber and Lyft proved to be unreliable midway through the first shut down even if I scheduled rides days in advance.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was at a meeting on Monday evening and found out Thursday one of the people there had tested positive for COVID the next day. :confused: Thankfully we all had masks on, including her, and she was about 20 feet away from me for almost the entire time, so I am not considered at risk and don't have to quarantine. Even so, I'm staying home from church tomorrow.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen newspaper reports that Germans are starting to hoard toilet paper, yeast, and pasta again, but DH didn't notice any shortages when he did the weekly shopping yesterday. Germany's one-month partial lockdown begins tomorrow. Once people find themselves waiting in line to get into stores again, they're bound to start stockpiling certain items. Even non-essential shops are staying open this time, though, so maybe fewer people will panic buy. :dunno:

The only things we've stocked up on are Mowgli's prescription/LID cat food and favorite litter, both of which we buy in bulk even in non-Corona times. Neither is available in stores. Between the new lockdown and online Christmas shopping, parcel delivery companies are probably going to be overwhelmed again.

Most of Europe is either already on lockdown or shutting down this week, but not to the extent we saw in the spring. Schools and most businesses are supposed to remain open. Private travel is very restricted, entertainment and hospitality venues are closing or closed, and some countries have (usually nightly) curfews.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was at the store yesterday and didn't notice any shortages. The disinfectant shelves were a little thin but that is now the norm. I am good on the paper products for awhile. I am good on Alice's prescription food. I have it on auto ship and they got behind in the Spring. I had some here that I bought when she first went on kidney food and then she decided not to eat it. It hadn't expired yet and her Highness decided she would eat it. I also bought a case at the vet's to get her through. The auto ship caught up and I am now ahead on it. I had thought about skipping a shipment but I decided to stay a little ahead on it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got two more bulk packs of toilet paper and one of paper towels from the supermarket today. Prices are definitely more than pre-pandemic. No chicken thighs again :ohwell: I may need to send mom to her local supermarket to get chicken for me. She has a "super" supermarket while the one I go to is a regular sized one. And she can go at any time of day until Thursday to look. I'm not going back to the supermarket until the weekend.

The cats are good on food for now. I should have enough until mid- December or so with 6 bags. They have enough litter for awhile. I can go back to BJs again and get more if needed and there's always Chewy but it costs $10 more there and a bit of plannng is needed to take into account any shipping delays.

Wearing a mask in cold weather is such a pain. My glasses are constantly fogged up. Crossing the street is now a hazard because I can't see the walk sign or changing traffic signals or cars appearing out of nowhere clearly enough :oops:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is changing for many ethnic foods in the U.S. as well. Americans had pretty much Americanized everything so dishes no longer even resembled their countries of origin. The advent of the Food Network and authentic restaurants moving out of their specific areas in large cities is slowly changing that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
EU consumers have become spoilt by the huge selection of goods available from other member countries. That was really apparent when borders were closed during the spring lockdowns. Goods were getting through, but slowly, and the supply of many things just didn't meet demand.

This time the politicians are saying the borders will remain open, but who knows if that's going to remain true or if some production bottlenecks won't develop.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, Yeast and flour were in short supply, if non-existent during the earlier lockdown. It seems everyone was making their own sourdough bread; and baking a ton of things from scratch.

That is also why home improvement supplies are still in short supply. I wonder what it will be during the winter? The bread baking or chocolate chip cookie making? or something entirely different...
It needs to be something constructive, time consuming, and easy to see and get good results.

This is really crazy.
I did order a couple of books from Amazon. I have a couple in here, and have a ton on my kindle. I prefer to read a book, and have to re-introduce myself to it.

Just need to pick up some replacement things this week... and a couple more things for Christmas gifts... I am just about done... It has to be.

I ahve decided not to even look at my credit card balance. They will eventually get paid off, after the really bad weather and the new lockdowns happen... sigh...

I cannot do anything more... I have stressed and done enough. I can order what I need, when I run out. .. that is all...