Corona Virus Now Spreading

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More people around here are starting to wear their masks under their noses. I live in a pretty good mask area, but people have been getting lazy, and I think that's not helping.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Around here, everyone uses a mask including when walking outside in many cases. I do see shelves emptying out of paper good, dry good, cleaning products though.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are normally pretty good for mask wearing too where I live. I've gone back to volunteering at the local charity shop and customers are mostly respectful of social distancing (we're only letting 5 people in at a time because the shop is small) and mask wearing/sanitisation - those who are exempt always let us know before we even ask them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More people around here are starting to wear their masks under their noses. I live in a pretty good mask area, but people have been getting lazy, and I think that's not helping.
I am seeing more of the mask below the nose thing. It reminds me of a small child finding a way to break a rule and nothing can be said about it. Does the mandate really need to say that the mask has to cover the mouth and the nose?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see people wearing a face shield but no mask all the time. A shield doesn't keep your germs from spreading to others :bat: All it does is to keep foreign objects and some aerosols from directly hitting your face.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There were ads on TV from a company that were selling them and the public health people came out against them. I suppose if someone wanted to be really cautious they could wear a shield with a mask, that is what people in hospitals that work with contagious patients do. That makes sense for them. They are in close contact with patients who are highly contagious and doing procedures like intubations. I heard a doctor on TV that said the deal with the scarves that people have around their necks and pull up over their nose and mouth aren't good either because they aren't thick enough. Copperfit is selling one but I think it is thicker then a regular scarf so that might be okay.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard a doctor on TV that said the deal with the scarves that people have around their necks and pull up over their nose and mouth aren't good either because they aren't thick enough. Copperfit is selling one but I think it is thicker then a regular scarf so that might be okay.
The ones that Copperfit and Mission are selling are better than the average neck gaiter, they have multiple layers and are purpose made for this sort of thing. Not sure if they're any better than fabric masks but at least you can throw them in the laundry without them shrinking.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see people wearing a face shield but no mask all the time. A shield doesn't keep your germs from spreading to others :bat: All it does is to keep foreign objects and some aerosols from directly hitting your face.
I've seen a few people wear shields instead of masks, but those I've seen are elderly. Considering who I've seen wearing them, I'm just glad they're doing something. As i said, best that the little old lady is trying something...even if it protects her and not others. If she can't wear a mask at all...it's an alternative instead of just using the "I'm exempt" excuse. The ones who just flat out refuse are the ones I get irritated with...

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what Maryland is doing right but I hope it continues. We are in Phase 3 right now. Our main areas of infection was Prince George's Co, Baltimore Co, Montgomery Co, and the City of Baltimore. All predominantly black areas so I am hoping since it is reported that they along with the elderly and overweight are most at risk, they are taking it seriously and using extra precautions.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only seen one person wear a face shield; a little old lady in my building. While it is so unusual, I understand the reasonings behind it. I would rather see someone with a face shield Vs wearing a mask below the nose.

I have a face shield, but will only use it, if absolutely necessary. As in during flu season, if I have to go to the doctors office, and if we are again, under quarantine.

From what I have read, masks do need to be at least 2 layers, preferably 3 .. or 2 with a filter.
You can make a filter from a coffee filter, cut to fit.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
that is what people in hospitals that work with contagious patients do. That makes sense for them. They are in close contact with patients who are highly contagious and doing procedures like intubations
When I went to Pain Management at the Cleveland Clinic last week,
anyone in contact with any patients wore a shield and a mask.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A few stores in Old Town Pasadena have signs up that you cannot enter if you ONLY have a face shield. Makes sense.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I seems, in the past couple of months, that I’ve started to lose more than the usual amount of hair when I wash it in the morning. At first I thought I was imagining things, but I started to pay close attention, and no, it’s noticeable. I didn’t think I was feeling that much stress, but I wondered if the combination of COVID restrictions and the unrelenting grind of political news was taking more of a toll than I realized. It turns out that I’m not alone. Doctors are seeing more stress-related hair loss, among other issues. My jaw has also started to ache.
Sleepless Nights, Hair Loss And Cracked Teeth: Pandemic Stress Takes Its Toll

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seems, in the past couple of months, that I’ve started to lose more than the usual amount of hair when I wash it in the morning. At first I thought I was imagining things, but I started to pay close attention, and no, it’s noticeable. I didn’t think I was feeling that much stress, but I wondered if the combination of COVID restrictions and the unrelenting grind of political news was taking more of a toll than I realized. It turns out that I’m not alone. Doctors are seeing more stress-related hair loss, among other issues. My jaw has also started to ache.
Sleepless Nights, Hair Loss And Cracked Teeth: Pandemic Stress Takes Its Toll
It helps if you don't pay attention to national news, it's mostly opinion piece crap without much actual news anyway.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory You can try taking Biotin. Find them in the vitamin area.
My hairdresser suggested this years ago. I have been taking it ever since. My hair does shed, but it grows back in. My hair grows very fast. I swear it it because of the Biotin.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It helps if you don't pay attention to national news
Ha. Easier said than done. The news seems to be in the very air we breathe. That said, I've made a conscious effort to reduce how much news I'm reading every day. I am committed, though, to looking at the Johns Hopkins site every day to see how many cases and deaths there are. I feel like I need to acknowledge the toll COVID is taking on people's lives, to see and think about those who've died.
ou can try taking Biotin
Thanks for the suggestion, artiemom artiemom ! I'll check it out.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seems, in the past couple of months, that I’ve started to lose more than the usual amount of hair when I wash it in the morning. At first I thought I was imagining things, but I started to pay close attention, and no, it’s noticeable.
Some articles relate the hair loss to the coronavirus. They say it must be one of the less known effects and symptoms of this disease.
You might want to look for a video on the web where the actress Alyssa Milano, who suffered from covid, shows people how much hair she's losing with her brush, and she says it's because of the virus, and asks people to wear the masks.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ha. Easier said than done. The news seems to be in the very air we breathe. That said, I've made a conscious effort to reduce how much news I'm reading every day. I am committed, though, to looking at the Johns Hopkins site every day to see how many cases and deaths there are. I feel like I need to acknowledge the toll COVID is taking on people's lives, to see and think about those who've died.

Thanks for the suggestion, artiemom artiemom ! I'll check it out.
This past week, I decided I have had enough of the increased amount of news I have been watching. I am now trying to physically wean myself off of it. I have an Amazon First Stick. I downloaded Pluto. I have been watching Star Trek, TNG: every night this week... enough with the badness. I need some good clean fun to watch.

Pluto is kind of cool. They have updated their interface; making all the programs in really High Def. With the lights out, I feel as if I am at the movies. It is awesome to watch Star Trek, TNG; in really HD.. The colors are so vivid. You really feel as if you are watching anew series.

Good luck with the Biotin. While it helps my hair, my nails are another situation.
They grow, only so long, and then they split, crack, get brittle.

Covid: I cannot stock up any more. I am full. Just replacing.

Saw Dr Fauci on GMA. He is not hopeful for the winter/holiday season. I do not blame him. I am seeing more people without masks. Massachusetts is a High Impact State. My city and the surrounding ones are alsoin the Red.

I decided I am staying home for all the holidays. I have plenty of food in here. Just need a few perishables. It will be a different year; 2020 is "the year that shouldn't have been."..

Went to the eye doctor, yesterday. She was furloughed for 5 months!
In her opinion, and another one of my doctors, we are not going to be back to a new normal for, at least another year. IT is disheartening.. but nothing that I did not suspect.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to the eye doctor, yesterday. She was furloughed for 5 months!
In her opinion, and another one of my doctors, we are not going to be back to a new normal for, at least another year. IT is disheartening.. but nothing that I did not suspect.
Your doctors are very optimistic! :lol:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest had to go take his PSAT yesterday so he got to talk to people that he normally doesn't speak to much now that schools have been closed. He said other people have been able to get their Learner's Permits yet his appointments are always canceled and asked to be rescheduled. I think we've had to reschedule 3-4 times already. No idea why some kids have been able to take their tests but not my son. This last time, I rescheduled it for a different VMA (DMV to some of you. ;) ) to see if maybe it's just the other one that keeps canceling stuff. His appointment is in November. :crossfingers: