Corona Virus Now Spreading

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been out of Softsoap since last spring, but the stores I go to got some hand soap in giant bottles from England - Bayliss and Something. It comes in lavender and cucumber/rosemary. I got the lavender, and it's really nice. The name brands we're used to in the US are in short supply everywhere. I guess they've been re-engineered to produce hand sanitizer. Time to try something new.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our province has announced that we are now in our second wave. For the past almost 2 weeks we have seen a minimum of 400 new cases a day, with yesterday seeing 700...a new record for single day cases. They have also said that this wave will be worse. We have not surpassed the 400/day mark since June 2nd, so I guess we'll see what happens next...
What's frustrating and relieving (for me) at the same time, is where these numbers are. Out of the 700 cases, 641 are concentrated in Toronto and in 6 surrounding districts. Our remaining 27 health unit districts have reported less than 10, while 12 of those reported none. I'm in one of the "less than ten" with only one new case reported yesterday.
And of course, the ever frustrating demographics of who is spiking those numbers...There are 317 new infections among those 20-39 years old, the most of any age group. There are also 183 new cases among those 40-59, and 101 among those 19 and under.
Only 36 of these new cases are school (up to grade 12) related,either child or staff...so we can't blame the schools or kids for the spike.

Our Premier had said before, that when it comes to the possibility of closures and lock downs, he would take a regional approach. I hope he follows thru with that because we can't afford to be shut down and not working again. And with only one case in my district, it would do more harm than good to shut down the province across the board, than simply shut down those top 4 districts of Toronto, Ottawa, Peel and York. Niagara, Halton and Hamilton have mildly concerning numbers but not compared to the others.

Have any of you seen this? This is the poop that just really grinds me.:angryfire:
Nearly 200 tickets issued in relation to Wasaga Beach, Ont., car rally amid coronavirus pandemic

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New York state has went over 1000 a day. New York city has two areas with an infection rate higher then it should be. This is a tenacious virus. It is hard to get people to take it seriously because so many people have no symptoms or only very mild symptoms. We got a different view of it at the very beginning in the U.S. because in the New York City area it was in the nursing homes and assisted living facilities really bad. That along with not having the little bit of therapeutic knowledge we have now drove up the death rate.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A local guy just died of it. He was 82, but was previously healthy. He was hospitalized for 2 weeks before succumbing to pneumonia.

The positive rate here is somewhere around 250 a day, which is a lot for a rural state!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our second wave seems to have peaked a month ago. Active cases in my town are down to 109 from 283 in early September.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went grocery shopping today. Had more cleaning products than normal but what was abnormal was no taco shells on the shelves. How weird! Good thing we are having nachos next week and not tacos.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've been out of Softsoap since last spring, but the stores I go to got some hand soap in giant bottles from England - Bayliss and Something. It comes in lavender and cucumber/rosemary. I got the lavender, and it's really nice. The name brands we're used to in the US are in short supply everywhere. I guess they've been re-engineered to produce hand sanitizer. Time to try something new.
You mean Bayliss and Harding, that's like a bit of a luxury brand here in the UK :) It's normally gifted for Christmas or presented in hotels.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hit or miss around here with cleaning products. Paper towels are still a 'hot' commodity, along with paper napkins. The napkins are really scarce.

There are some Lysol cleaning products~~ no aerosol spray Lysol. I also spotted some Clorox
Clean-up with Bleach.

Sunday I managed to see/buy the large refill bottl os SoapSoap Antibacterial soap..

It seems with the rising levels of Covid people are beginning. to really stock up.. At the grocery store, the turkey breasts are being scooped up, along with stuffing, etc. People are planning for the holidays..

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It seems with the rising levels of Covid people are beginning. to really stock up.. At the grocery store, the turkey breasts are being scooped up, along with stuffing, etc. People are planning for the holidays..
There's going to be a huge demand for small turkeys and turkey parts this year due to people foregoing extended family feasts on Thanksgiving and Christmas. A lot of people will probably decide to go with a duck or a big chicken. Stores are going to have trouble selling big turkeys or geese.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even in ordinary times small turkeys are always scarce here anyway. 'They are always those huge turkeys. I will probably make something that for me anyway is special and freezes well. I may make a lasagna. I can cut that up in individual portions and freeze it. That is something that I don't make very often and I will have portions of it for 3 or 4 months.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still struck by your stories, it seems really non-sense that items are missing from the shelves for no apparent reasons, while over here, where the situation is the same as the rest of the world, everything is still available.
We'd been missing the yeast in the first two months of the lockdown, but apart from that and since then, all stores are stocked up.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty well stocked up for either the second wave of Corona or the possible problems after the election. Began stocking up on items when I saw them. Plenty of TP, paper towels, cleaning products, canned goods, frozen meals, meat, etc. I just replenish when needed but I try to avoid using my stash.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing that is still a little hit or miss here is the disinfectants but that has gotten better in the last month. The shelves are no longer completely cleared like they used to be. I think most people have been doing the same thing that I did over the summer and are stocked up. The wipes and the sprays are still hit or miss but they are better then they used to be. I think the thing with them is people go through them faster then the disinfecting cleaners because they are easy to use on a daily basis so people go through them pretty fast. I know I go through the wipes quickly but I still have a stash. The next time I see them I will probably replenish a bit.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went grocery shopping yesterday. No disinfectant spray or hand soap but I was able to find everything else I needed. I stocked up; I've never bought that much stuff in one go before! But I will be able to eat for months.

One of my friends and her boyfriend went and got tested - apparently the person who sits next to her boyfriend at work tested positive. His wife has symptoms but he does not, so his workplace told him to just keep coming in but to wear a mask. I think both of them (my friend and her boyfriend) tested negative, but she's coming back next weekend and I don't know that I want to risk hanging out with her. It sounds so harsh, but I don't want to get sick, and I really don't want to give something to my parents who I see regularly.

We had another death here in the county - he was 75 and went from testing positive to passing away within the span of about a week and a half.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still struck by your stories, it seems really non-sense that items are missing from the shelves for no apparent reasons, while over here, where the situation is the same as the rest of the world, everything is still available.
We'd been missing the yeast in the first two months of the lockdown, but apart from that and since then, all stores are stocked up.
Americans have a long tradition of running to the store and panic buying at the first hint of a disaster. Hurricane coming? The shelves will be stripped of bread. Snowstorm coming? Good luck finding milk. Why? Who knows? There's probably some complicated psychological reason.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Americans have a long tradition of running to the store and panic buying at the first hint of a disaster. Hurricane coming? The shelves will be stripped of bread. Snowstorm coming? Good luck finding milk. Why? Who knows? There's probably some complicated psychological reason.
They were calling for a blizzard here about 11 years ago. I stopped by Safeway on the way home from work to get some cat food, bottled water and soy milk. When I came out of the store my cart was filled with food and it came to over $300.00. We had back to back storms and I was snowed in for a week.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When all the toilet paper panic buying was going on at the beginning of this I read an article by a psychologist explaining it. It is the need to be able to control something that a person really has no control over. Someone feels the need to do something, to be in control of something so they hit on some type of panic buying. It gives them the sense that they are now ready for what is coming.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When all the toilet paper panic buying was going on at the beginning of this I read an article by a psychologist explaining it. It is the need to be able to control something that a person really has no control over. Someone feels the need to do something, to be in control of something so they hit on some type of panic buying. It gives them the sense that they are now ready for what is coming.
And why toilet paper?
Why not tin foil rolls, chewing gums, tea spoons? ;)