Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a freezer full of stuff. . .but if the power goes out that won't do much good. I should put away some more canned goods I suppose. I have a small stash but not a lot.

I did end up buying more TP from Sam's last week :paperbag: . Even though it's just me. But I figure I can share with friends and family members. . .I have a lot of storage space. I already helped one friend a couple months ago when she couldn't find any. She has 3 kids so it seemed a bit urgent!

I told my mom that since the year is already shot, we should just get everything unpleasant with over all at once. Like getting rid of Daylight Saving and switching to metric, etc. Might as well!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 - I hadn't heard about any issue with Murphy's Soap.....so, I just asked MrGoogle..........and found nothing.

Were you thinking of something else, perhaps,,,,,,,,,,,,,? (or, maybe I need to sharpen my search skills :lol:......or, go back for Google 102:flail:)

But - if you have something you can post, I'd appreciate it!

[I was just about to try it out on a "discovery" I made in a dark corner here!]
Or maybe I shouldn't post stuff that I haven't researched myself, ha!! The manager of our Walmart
told Kaylee about the Murphy's issue. My Walmart is not selling it. She called and asked what I wanted
her to get. She rattled off different products and I decided upon Mr.Clean because it disinfects and is
safe on fake wood flooring as I have. We still have a half bottle of Murphy's but she cleans all the wood
and the flooring in my apt with it so it's used a lot. I have her dust with it as I don't like polishes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although it's been talked about, I don't believe it has ever been confirmed. But the CDC has now confirmed airborne transmission.
What I didn't catch when reading is how long the virus stays airborne, and I don't believe they stated how far it can travel (beyond the six feet). But there you have it. It's airborne. Good news though, transmission thru surface contact (like grabbing something off the shelf at the store) doesn't seem to be a big issue.
CDC says coronavirus spreads mainly in the air, through respiratory aerosols and droplets

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of countries are bracing for a second wave of the virus, but it doesn't really seem like we ever got past the first one here in the US. It's still bad here, in that our numbers have skyrocketed. We previously would have 1-5 new cases every two days, now we're up to 100+ every two days. We were on the list of top 25 counties that had the fastest growing number of cases. But it's not at all surprising - still lots of parties going on, bars are busy, etc. My two friends who live in town aren't being careful either; they don't really go to bars like college kids anymore but they still go to game day parties, trips to KC, restaurants, etc. I feel terrible but I just can't see them right now.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm not well stocked at all but I guess I could get started. If all else fails I guess Chisum could bag me some rabbits :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although it's been talked about, I don't believe it has ever been confirmed. But the CDC has now confirmed airborne transmission.
What I didn't catch when reading is how long the virus stays airborne, and I don't believe they stated how far it can travel (beyond the six feet). But there you have it. It's airborne. Good news though, transmission thru surface contact (like grabbing something off the shelf at the store) doesn't seem to be a big issue.
CDC says coronavirus spreads mainly in the air, through respiratory aerosols and droplets

The CDC took down that down today: CDC Publishes — Then Withdraws — Guidance On Aerosol Spread Of Coronavirus It was apparently posted to the CDC web site in error.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio is up to 145,000 cases and had over 800 new cases yesterday. The county that I live in has 26,000 cases with 150 new cases yesterday. We have a number of colleges here, the big one being Ohio State so that certainly doesn't help. There is a mask mandate, restaurants are very limited to dining in many are still doing takeout, delivery and pickup only, swimming pools never opened and bars have to close at 10 p.m. The state tried to keep gyms closed but the gyms won in court. There are a number of rules though involving social distancing, disinfecting equipment after each use, saunas and communal showers had to remain closed and there is no lost and found. That is about the best they could do under the circumstances. We still can't get down to those real low numbers though.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohio is up to 145,000 cases and had over 800 new cases yesterday. The county that I live in has 26,000 cases with 150 new cases yesterday. We have a number of colleges here, the big one being Ohio State so that certainly doesn't help. There is a mask mandate, restaurants are very limited to dining in many are still doing takeout, delivery and pickup only, swimming pools never opened and bars have to close at 10 p.m. The state tried to keep gyms closed but the gyms won in court. There are a number of rules though involving social distancing, disinfecting equipment after each use, saunas and communal showers had to remain closed and there is no lost and found. That is about the best they could do under the circumstances. We still can't get down to those real low numbers though.
We've been rising the last several days, over 600 yesterday, it may be due to the colleges. The weather has been great so people are still outside. I have actually been to my rec center- by reservation- I reserved a time when there was no one else registered. They really are cleaning well at the rec center.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI: If you need masks, Home Depot seems to be the place to get them. They are very well stocked...

Also Walgreens has a fair amount.

Home Depot has a big supply.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went shopping today. They had Clorox wipes, aerosol disinfectant spray AND rubbing alcohol. No pump spray disinfectant, but I was at Walmart pretty late so they might have had it earlier. Also plenty of TP. So supply seems to be rebounding. BUT Costco had a 1-each limit on all meat products, so maybe they're expecting supply issues with meat? Not sure why they did that.

They took away the one-way signs on the aisles at Walmart. I suppose it just caused arguments, but it seems like the more cases we get, the less careful everybody is :/.

They had to close the school at one nearby town because all the teachers were out sick or in quarantine. They closed the daycare/preschool in another town, and also closed the gas station for a day for deep-cleaning because one of the employees tested positive.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it seems like the more cases we get, the less careful everybody is :/.
I think people are just getting less careful regardless...I'm not sure of it's just because people are sick of following the rules, or they are starting to feel like it won't affect them, or maybe just because, at this point they are willing to just take the risks because we can't live like this forever...IDK.
We had a bit of a "spike" in cases in my city. We are now sitting at 104 cases, with 10 new cases in the least 2 weeks, after several weeks without any new cases. Most seem to still be following the rules about mask wearing, but people are expanding their "bubbles" and getting together with friends and family. I've heard of several people who have been having gatherings, not big ones for the most part, but still...people are getting sick of not seeing their friends. Especially families with kids and teens.

At this point, I'm not really afraid of covid. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to get it and I take ALL precautions. But what's causing me the most anxiety, is getting ANYTHING. The policies and procedures I would have to follow if I get so much as a sniffle from a cold worries me more because we have entered our cold/flu season.
If I show ANY type of symptom, I have to self isolate until I go get tested, then of course self isolate until I get the results. Then I still can't go to work until all my symptoms are gone regardless of if the test is negative or not. So I could end up missing up to 2 weeks of work because someone around me decided, "It's just a cold" and went about their day. Never mind if I end up with bronchitis or something where symptoms can last several weeks.
I already saw this last week. A client of mine came for her treatment and told me that she has her son in isolation at home. He's not allowed to leave his room except to use the bathroom. And he's to only use the bathroom in the basement and no one else is allowed to use it. He ended up catching a cold (got tested, was negative) because someone at his work went to work with a cold and they don't wear masks if there are no customers. My client is in the same boat as me, being diligent about not getting sick with any type of virus as she is a teacher and would face the same rules as me.
I just wish and hope that others realize that the "it's just a cold" mentality causes a lot of issues for many people in the work place. It's not about WHAT virus you have at this point...You get anything and it's a real pain in the butt and affects our ability to make an income.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am fortunate I work almost exclusively from home and could work exclusively from home if I am sick. 'It's just a cold' doesn't affect me as far as work goes. I think people are just tired of all the restrictions even if they haven't been impacted financially. Many have been affected financially and with them there is a growing anger. That is different from the nut jobs that have been saying it is a hoax and masks violate their 'individual freedom', these are people who are headed for a major financial disaster.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think people are just getting less careful regardless...I'm not sure of it's just because people are sick of following the rules, or they are starting to feel like it won't affect them, or maybe just because, at this point they are willing to just take the risks because we can't live like this forever...IDK.
All of the above I think. It's difficult for everyone to act as if they're in an operating theatre 24/7.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our province has scaled back on openings for restaurants, bars and strip clubs. Strip clubs have to shut down completely and restaurants/bars have to have last call by 11 and close by midnight. They are however still allowed to serve food for curbside pick up/delivery past the midnight hour. They have also scaled back the amount of people that can gather back to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors. With the exception for restaurants, funerals, church, gyms...and such where social distancing measures and mask requirements are in place and monitored and enforced by staff...they can still allow up to 50 people indoors and 100 outdoors.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I've noticed not on the shelves is handsoap like from Softsoap. Hand sanitizer is now in place of it. I agree hand sanitizer is important but I really need some Softsoap hand soap! :frustrated:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked home improvement stores like Lowe's? I know the Lowe's here, I assume Home Depot is the same, has an aisle of cleaning products and paper products which includes hand soap. They don't have a huge selection of brands so they may not have that particular brand but they have hand soap.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never did have a run on hand soap here. I wonder why.

But, yeah, hardware stores usually have a decent selection of hand soaps.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked home improvement stores like Lowe's? I know the Lowe's here, I assume Home Depot is the same, has an aisle of cleaning products and paper products which includes hand soap. They don't have a huge selection of brands so they may not have that particular brand but they have hand soap.
No. The only Lowe's is in the next county over and if I cross the bridge, there tends to be an accident soon after I get stuck on the wrong side for hours. I've found hand soap but it's generic non-smell ones. I like the ones with a smell even though I can't smell them. :lol: