Corona Virus Now Spreading

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a video clip of a woman who had evacuated her home because of the wildfires in Oregon. What was she carrying? Two of those big industrial size packs of paper products. One was toilet paper, I recognized the package as one of the national brands, I think the other one was paper towels.

:oops: :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but doesn't explain people were/are keeping hoarding toilet paper.
The best explanation I read was that people desperately needed to feel they were in control of something in their lives,
What I heard, was that the toilet paper issue was something that originated from Australia. If someone from there could confirm....I'm not completely sure, but supposedly there really was a shortage for a short time on TP there, as they get most or all? their TP, or perhaps it's the raw materials? from China. But of course with social media, it took off and made everyone else crazy, even though we don't rely on China for our TP or the raw materials to make it.
If this is true, it does make sense considering many only read headlines or memes for their news and don't get the full story. And then when people start to hoard, more start to hoard out of fear of others hoarding, and we eventually get a shortage anyway...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What I noticed in those days was that this thing of the toilet paper was something happening only in English-speaking countries and some of the northern European countries.
It didn't happen in the southern Europe.
Yes, Germans were hoarding toilet paper, too. One thing that was very strange in our area was that stores were running out of herbal and fruit tea bags - which are a domestic product that Germany exports a lot of. I could understand people stocking up on imported black/green tea or coffee due to supply chain fears, but why herbal tea? People can be very illogical. :lol:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, toilet paper is in fully stock. It is the Paper Towels and Napkins which are in shortage!!!!
You cannot find a Paper Towel or Napkin around..

Really crazy...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried stores further away from where you live? There's no shortage of paper towels or napkins where I am but it's probably too far for you to drive all the way out here.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it takes so little to trigger the excessive acquisition. Someone sees a person with several packs of something in their cart so they buy extra just in case. That sets off a chain reaction and clears the shelves in that store. People then go to another store and set off the same thing there. If I had a choice with paper products I would rather be without paper towels and paper napkins then to be without toilet paper.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we just hit 100 cases in my city. We've had 6 new cases in less than a week. None, as far as I know, are due to school re-opening. Our health unit has decided to no longer say the ages or gender of those who test positive. I don't care about the gender, but knowing the ages I feel is important.
One thing though, our province has set up a separate website that is tracking and posting all cases related to schools and day cares. It names the city, school/day care and if it's staff or student, so I guess that's a way to see if any kids get it in my area...if I see a school or day care from my area on the list....which so far there are none.
Most of the cases in our province are due to "private gatherings"...which makes me so mad....but that discussion probably belongs in the IMO thread....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio's positivity rate is back below 4%. Whatever increase there is from Labor Day weekend is going to start showing in the numbers now. It seems like anything increases the numbers.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
We are still in the top 10-15 cities with seriously high positive cases. sigh... All the surrounding communities and some in a different part of the state, are on that list. It is spreading.

The stores are crowded, if you do not go during senior hours. Paper towels and napkins are a no go.

It is kind of hit or miss as to when you can find things. Yesterday, I picked up a large refill bottle of Lysol Cleaner, a couple small packs of gloves, Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner, and a small Lysol Wipes~~ for my hands, in the car, after shopping.

To my surprise they had about 4 bottles left of Clorox Clean Up Spray.

I am still on the lookout for napkins...

My covid test, from last Friday was negative.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is ordering online for napkins an option artiemom artiemom ? You could do ship or store pick up. The local Target store has some brands of napkins in stock according to the web site. The Everett and Somerville stores are closer to you and also have napkins in stock. You might not find the brand you typically use but at this point in time it doesn't matter as long as you have something.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the peak time for TP to be never on the shelves, I was very happy I live near the water and boat stores had TP on the shelves. I guess nobody thought about using that kind except me. Worked great. I also scored a huge bulk packet of TP off Amazon. Got the last one! I went back and checked and it said "sold out". I had tried in the past to order TP online but by the time I got it into my cart and tried to check out, somebody beat me to it and I was out of luck.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to LTS3 LTS3 , I scored Bounty napkins at Target!!! Not the huge pack, but the regular size you get at the grocery store!!! No limit on these, so I got 2 packs. Now, I am ok with paper stuff

Target also had a ton of Clorox Clean-Up spray! Very surprising. And a huge package of Bounty Paper Towels.
I got a smaller, store brand pack of PT

I also picked up a nice tan colored sweater while I was there, for $20. I really good outing!

Big Lots also had a lot of paper products.

I guess it is a hit or miss as to which store has what.

All done with my stockpile. Now to just replace what I use. I have no room for anything else in here.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really think the reason that some stores are cleaned out and others aren't is psychological. Someone stocks up others see it so they do the same and so on until the shelves are cleared. I think that is true for everything but disinfectants, those are going to be scarce and hit or miss for awhile.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's actually easy to kill on surfaces if the product is used correctly. They all have different contact times needed to 'kill' the virus, it actually isn't killed it is rendered incapable of replicating. The surface needs to remain wet with the product long enough. They did a test when this all started with spray disinfectant cleaners, they used Lysol, Clorox and Formula 409. In a surprise finding the Formula 409 killed the virus faster then the others. I don't remember the difference but it was significant. The 409 was close to instantaneous.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
It's actually easy to kill on surfaces if the product is used correctly. They all have different contact times needed to 'kill' the virus, it actually isn't killed it is rendered incapable of replicating. The surface needs to remain wet with the product long enough. They did a test when this all started with spray disinfectant cleaners, they used Lysol, Clorox and Formula 409. In a surprise finding the Formula 409 killed the virus faster then the others. I don't remember the difference but it was significant. The 409 was close to instantaneous.
I wish Murphy's Oil Soap killed it.(It has been recalled because it was found to be hurting pets. They are going to reformulate.)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish Murphy's Oil Soap killed it.(It has been recalled because it was found to be hurting pets. They are going to reformulate.)
Mia6 Mia6 - I hadn't heard about any issue with Murphy's Soap.....so, I just asked MrGoogle..........and found nothing.

Were you thinking of something else, perhaps,,,,,,,,,,,,,? (or, maybe I need to sharpen my search skills :lol:......or, go back for Google 102:flail:)

But - if you have something you can post, I'd appreciate it!

[I was just about to try it out on a "discovery" I made in a dark corner here!]

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband is convinced a second coming of Covid19 will happen in November or the US will have a Civil War over the outcome of the upcoming election so we are sticking up. Food and supplies to last us at least 6 months. I am someone who only buys for the upcoming week so this has been tough for me. I hate managing a large inventory of stuff. Goes against my minimalist personality.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't go that far with most things. I have enough food to last two or three weeks, may not be able to have what I want to eat towards the end of that time but I would have food to eat. I probably have 6 or 7 months worth of the different disinfectants that I use but that stuff is still very much hit or miss. I noticed this morning they had the more reasonable size packs of toilet paper and paper towels at least for one person. I just started on my huge pack of toilet paper and haven't started on the huge pack of paper towels yet so I am good for quite a while.