Corona Virus Now Spreading

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are a ton of people in the city, who are non-believers.
Not just the city. There's plenty of it down here too. :ohwell:

I am debating on using gloves while shopping. I know how easy it is to cross contaminate things; even using gloves... and we have to conserve our supply... It is tuff.
Do you have an Ocean State Job Lot near you? They have a decent supply of gloves. I bought two boxes early this week.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is supposed to be under 2.3%
Eek. It's about a 10% positive rate here.
When confronted at a store, they automatically cause a scene, stating: "I have rights! Hippa allows me to not wear a mask!!"
The dumb thing is that HIPAA only applies to hospitals/pharmacies/other medical professionals. What they're thinking about is the ADA. But the ADA allows for alternate access, which means the store could keep them out as long as they provide curbside service or similar. Not that we can expect much from mask deniers ;).

The CEO of McDonalds says he wants franchises to call the cops on people who make a fuss about wearing masks instead of just serving them to get them out of there. Which is all very fine for him to say; he's not the one getting paid $8 an hour to get punched by a jerk. But it is true that stores are going to have to draw a hard line, because if there are any loopholes, people will take advantage.

I haven't been shopping since most of the mask mandates went into effect. I'm going this weekend, I'll see what's changed.

Brazil's president, who was saying that it was all a hoax, etc., got COVID-19, and is having complications. He says he got mold in his lungs from staying inside for 2 weeks. Sure buddy :rolleyes2:.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Sioux Falls school district is giving students a choice of being in the classroom with masks, or staying home and doing school on the internet. One mom (they had her on the news) decided to quit her job and start an e-learning/"homeschool" daycare. Which is kind of a cool idea, although a lot of parents can't afford it.

Her reasoning was that her kid has a speech impediment, and teachers were big enough jerks to him without the mask, and she thinks they'll be worse if he's muffled by a mask, so she doesn't want him in class if he has to wear one.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The masks do muffle your voice. I've seen several miscommunications in stores because of the muffled voices.
I automatically start talking so loud with a mask on LOL! I always apologize and ask if I'm yelling at people. Everyone just laughs and agrees they feel like their yelling too, but it's all good, no one's ever said that they felt I was yelling at them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supermarket I go to has an announcement over their sound system about the requirement for masks. It says if someone as a disability which precludes them from wearing a mask they can use the pickup service. They aren't letting people in without a mask because there is an alternative available.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The supermarket I go to has an announcement over their sound system about the requirement for masks. It says if someone as a disability which precludes them from wearing a mask they can use the pickup service. They aren't letting people in without a mask because there is an alternative available.
We had the opposite here when I walked past our local Indian just now. A sign saying "feel free not to wear a mask" and nobody wearing any PPE. :angrywoman:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of us in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Careful going out to restaurants everyone! Masks are supposed to be mandatory in Illinois, unless people are sitting at their table, so not sure if this was a result of people not wearing properly or customers not replacing their masks when waiters come up or just being inside even with precautions. But something important to keep in mind to keep staying cautious.

Health department warns after COVID-19 outbreak at Crystal Lake restaurant

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My children’s school district is implementing virtual learning from September until November for my youngest and December for my oldest. Then it would be 3 days virtual and 2 days in classroom learning. Or I can sign up for 100% virtual until the end of January 2021. This all depends of what Cuomo decides this week.
We have family members we still will not visit because they have the attitude of it won’t hurt them. Since the restrictions have been lifted they’ve been vacationing in places that have high Covid cases and they have not been following the 2 week self quarantine once returning. It makes me shake my head. Especially when they tell us we are overreacting.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cases here in Ohio are leveling off and beginning to show signs of dropping. Ohio is still up to 96,000 cases and the county I am in is over 17,000. Mandatory masks and a 10 p.m. curfew on bars seems to be working. A lot of restaurants here are still pickup or delivery only. A few have reopened at a low capacity many that didn't used to require reservations now require them to keep the numbers down and do the disinfecting the area after people live. Restaurants are also required to have a certain level of ventilation before having inside dining even under those conditions.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of us in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Careful going out to restaurants everyone! Masks are supposed to be mandatory in Illinois, unless people are sitting at their table, so not sure if this was a result of people not wearing properly or customers not replacing their masks when waiters come up or just being inside even with precautions. But something important to keep in mind to keep staying cautious.

Health department warns after COVID-19 outbreak at Crystal Lake restaurant
The article didn't say if it was from indoor or outdoor dining. Hopefully indoor.

That prom for the south suburbs they held in Indiana was a super spreader. I wanted to facepalm. Yeah it sucks they didn't get a prom, but was it really worth the cost?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 7 day moving average is decreasing now with some restrictions being put back in place.
I see almost all people wearing masks at the stores now, thankfully.
I donated blood 10 days ago and they automatically do an antibody test, and mine was negative. So either in June when I felt awful for a couple of days it wasn't covid, or it was mild and I didn't develop antibodies, or it was covid and the antibodies went away.
I'm betting I didn't have it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohio And Mass. are 2 of the 6 states involved in a corsortium to group together, guaranteeing an order for rapid result Covid tests!
Our numbers are slowly rising. The Gov is seriously warning of taking at least one step backwards.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw the headline. He does wear a mask except when he is at the podium speaking and no one is around. He is older but he isn't overweight. I don't know about underlying conditions but most people his age have something.