Corona Virus Now Spreading

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this on facebook. Guess more businesses have started requires masks nationwide, too. Thank goodness for the people employed to help keep them more safe.

Although, I had been in a local Dollar Tree months ago, but there was a mask mandate here. First store had someone walk in without a mask that appeared to be an employee, and the second store both employees had pulled down their masks to talk half way across the store. Granted to say, I walked out both times without purchasing despite already taking a quick few minutes to pick up a few things. Not worth the risk to me. That's why I'm only online shopping right now.

1594844252555.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm my brother's girlfriend works at Dollar Tree, I'll have to ask. I didn't know they required it for customers.

Once a few do it, more will follow. They want to require masks; they just didn't want to go first :tongue: .

Menards is also requiring masks for customers, but it's not on that list. They might be just a Midwest chain and not considered a "national retailer", maybe that's why. But they are a major chain and not a mom 'n' pop place.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work in the administrative side of research, and while I can't go into specifics (due to confidentiality as well as just not knowing myself) I do know that there are researchers here who have found that to be true in animal models - if you get it a second time, and you absolutely can, it is decidedly worse.
I feel sorry for the animals they test on, i wish they would test everything on humans :(

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When i returned to work a two weeks ago, i wore a mask and everyone was looking at me like I was crazy, now this week, since there are more cases in other states starting to spread and in our local area it is increasing quickly in the last few days because now it is affecting staff who live near these areas, people have started coming into work with masks on.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio expanded the mask mandate to 12 counties. DeWine wanted to make it statewide at the beginning of this but he backed off and made it a strong recommendation. I guess he is getting there county by county. It is still really up to businesses to enforce it. It does help businesses out who do want to enforce it because they can make the ordinance the reason. The supermarket I go to had their sign up that masks were required because of local ordinance. They didn't require them before though most customers wore them in the store. There is a convenience store I won't go to anymore because it seems to have become the place that people who won't wear them go to.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like you would think that when so many people are getting infected around the world and are dying especially with sudden deaths from the virus because people didn't know they had it, people would at least wear a mask. Nelson Mandela's daughter tested positive for the virus a few hours before she died.

And i still dont understand why some business go to all the trouble of putting social distancing markers, hand sanitizers, and have masks available for people to use for free, people wont use it. It is not like wearing a mask is stopping their freedom. And even though the mask is not 100% effective it is still better than nothing.

Like it would frighten me if i were an elderly parent aged 60 and i have teenage or adult children that decided that they dont care, will not wear a mask, not sanitize so keep away, or care if i would die from the virus, kinda makes me think that they would prefer it, probably they are all thinking there is a large sum inheritance would be left behind in their bank accounts

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kroger will require face coverings for customers starting July 22nd. They don't plan to be flexible---if you can't wear a mask, wear a face shield, if you can't wear that, they'll set you up for curbside delivery.

We don't have Krogers here but add them to the list! I think a lot of grocery stores will follow suit soon.

And Kohl's, starting July 20th. I told you they were just waiting for a non-membership store to go first, lol.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume that will cover all stores under the Kroger umbrella, like Mariano's.

I'm so glad masks are enforced in stores here. I was reading an article yesterday about how IL hasn't had a perfect response to the virus, but they can still be held as an example of what to do for some other states.

I've been reading way too much about school openings because I still have my teaching pages followed on facebook. While I'm glad I'm able to take the year off, I'm definitely worried about hearing my former coworkers snd students getting really ill as the plan is to go back in person.

I hope those that have school aged children they're planning on sending back are having them practice with masks at home now. The archdiocese plan says the teachers will teach them how to wear a mask properly, but for every student who's already been prepared by their parents, that's a bit less stress and danger for their teacher.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shop at a Kroger. All of the employees wear them and most customers have worn them since the CDC came out with the reasoning for them. We are a county where the mandate is in effect so the sign went up saying they are required by local ordinance. The kind of mask available to the general public are really only effective if everyone wears them. We don't have the N95 masks that will protect the wearer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Walmart said that 65% of their stores are in places that already have a mask mandate, so they thought it would be a small matter to expand it to all stores. Idk, though, I just really hope they got their toughest employees to be the enforcers, because, judging by the local Facebook comments, they're going to have a real fight on their hands.

In order to be fully effective, an N95 mask has to be properly fitted and properly worn at all times. So I'm not sure if they would even be more effective than regular masks for the average user. But mostly, masks are just to make sure germs don't travel very far, not to filter them out.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel bad for store employees who basically have to be teacher's aides to grown adults who can't follow the rules. I ran into Menards the other day because I needed a part to fix my toilet. Multiple people tried to get in without a mask and raised holy hell about having to buy one there or leave. Others wore a mask into the store, but were either wearing it improperly or just flat out took it off and carried it or hung it on their ear while they were shopping.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I assume that will cover all stores under the Kroger umbrella, like Mariano's.
I shop at Fred Meyer which is Kroger-owned, and they’ve required customer masks since the beginning of the month when it was mandated by the governor. But employees have all been wearing masks for weeks, and there’s always an employee at the entrance wiping down carts. Like KittyFriday KittyFriday , I feel sorry for employees who have to approach people not wearing masks. In some cases, it clearly can be dangerous. Seriously, they should outfit them all with panic buttons.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I just saw a news article saying that an employee "pepper-sprayed a man for not wearing a mask". Well, no, the employee pepper-sprayed him because when they said he had to wear a mask, he got angry and started assaulting nearby shoppers. I'm not sure what else they could have done.

I think it's easier for employees when it's the law, then they can pretend to think it's silly and kind of commiserate with the customer, instead of having to stick with the corporate hard line.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's easier for employees when it's the law, then they can pretend to think it's silly and kind of commiserate with the customer, instead of having to stick with the corporate hard line.
It's a bit more complicated than that. When something becomes mandatory city wide or province (state) wide. It gives the employees and companies some level of protection when a customer does become difficult. If it's just a company policy, that's when the "my rights!!" and "this is discrimination!!", and all the online bashing about a company can hurt them. With a "law" it allows a company and it's employee to be able to protect themselves.

For example, my first 2 weeks back at work. Our policy is to wear a mask. It is mandated by my governing body, but it's not "public knowledge" until they get there or book an appointment. During that first two weeks, although my clients were good about it, many asked if they really had to keep their mask on for their entire visit and some tried to convince me to let them take it off. Some clients showed up without masks and a few were miffed that we would charge them a dollar for one of ours. Again, overall the clients were good about it, but I did get a few guilt trips. And front staff did have some very "interesting" phone calls. Now that my city has mandated masks for all indoor venues...not a single client this past week has questioned anything. It really does make things go smoothly.

We did have one woman get all irate about mask wearing and her rights and all that bull poop. Quoting freedom and discrimination laws and going a tangent about privacy laws and whatnot. Again, having it mandatory gives us another level of protection from a bully patron to refuse service without much backlash, either by public reaction and boycotting or lawsuits or complaints submitted to our governing body about refusing care or client abandonment which are grounds for misconduct charges against the therapist.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our county has had mandatory masks for a week and they are now mandatory statewide starting today. Hopefully people will comply. Shopping is less stressful if everyone follows the mandates.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to break it to you but not all Kroger's stores employees wear the masks or if they do it's down to their chin. Last week we went to Rulers which is Kroger owned and only one clerk out of 7 was even wearing a mask. This is why I always say I'll have to see how well these companies enforce it because so far here in my stupid city nothing seems to be enforced. Our governor is like he trusts everyone's judgement. Dollar General does nothing here. They just let the people in to shop, like they did yesterday when I was there. But I live in a backward state.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope those that have school aged children they're planning on sending back are having them practice with masks at home now. The archdiocese plan says the teachers will teach them how to wear a mask properly, but for every student who's already been prepared by their parents, that's a bit less stress and danger for their teacher.
The preschoolers at our school watch a "how to wear a mask" video almost every day to just really get them used to it. We had kids back in class starting in May and at first it was hard, but it has become normalized now. They also watch a handwashing video and know how to ask for hand sanitizer. We have plastic dividers set up between students too and no one can do face-to-face partner stuff. However, at break time they still like to crowd around each other, even the older kids (we go up to 6th grade) who should be able to understand logically why all of this is necessary.

Are there kid-friendly "how to wear a mask" videos on Youtube for English speakers I wonder? Are American kids as obsessed with youtube as Korean kids are? haha
We show our kids the Korean version even though we're a fully immersive English academy, just to not take any risks that they won't understand, especially the pre-schoolers.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Dollar Tree that's requiring masks, not Dollar General.
I guess you missed my earlier comment but St Louis city and county had mandatory masks in all businesses even though our state governor is leaving this to each city. So if my Dollar General is in St Louis masks are mandatory at any DG in St louis.