Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several studies done in different countries that show Type A is more likely to contract the virus and to have a serious illness as well as Type O being less likely. The question is why. What is the genetic difference that is causing this? It could also explain why some parts of the country have less serious illness even in cities then other parts of the country, there could be a significant difference in the blood type distribution.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even the blood type theory on immunity is very complex. There are 8 main blood types A+, A-, B+,B-, AB+, AB-, O+, O-, but there are 35 different Blood Groups.
As for resistance to this virus, studies showed during SARS, that blood types containing anti-A antibodies were able to resist the attachment of the virus to the cells which would eliminate the ability for the virus to replicate. And because SARS Cov-2, has a similar protein makeup, that same link is being made.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well in December 2019 I went to a work party in the city, the next day I woke up with a headache that was pretty severe like I as if I was hit by a truck, I just put it down to drinking alcohol and felt very exhausted for the entire week, here in December is summer. Then two days later I wake up to having an eye infection which only infected one eye, this eye infection did not go away for 1 months. During December and January, I remember I would feel very lethargic for the whole month that I would fall asleep at the computer at 12 pm in the afternoon which is not normal for me and randomly throughout the day, I would feel also dizzy at times and out of breath when walking up the stairs. There was one particular day 1 week after celebrating new years eve in the city, it was a warm day around 28 degrees Celcius, but my body felt like as if I was on fire and I was sweating to the point that sweat was dripping down my face and I was feeling lethargic and my heart was racing, but I thought maybe I am just getting too hot in the house even though the cooler was on, that I took off in the car like a crazy person to the shops to buy a tub of ice cream to cool me off, for the next two weeks I was eating ice cream non stop to cool me down internally because I was feeling extremely hot all the time.

Then I returned to work on the second week of January at the end of this week on a Friday, I was sitting in the office feeling very feverish and out of it, I couldn't think properly and I was feeling nauseous and couldn't function in the office but I stayed for the whole day because I was thinking it might go away. I am a person who is considered cold-blooded by work staff and family and I always feel cold, even in the summertime which my parents think I am weird, but on this day I was begging for the air con to be put on. On Monday the following week, I went to work with a runny nose, I was sitting in the office blowing my nose constantly where I literally used up 5 boxes of tissues, my office bin was filled to the max and I even resorted to using toilet paper as I was going through office supplies at an embarrassing rate. I was coughing up a lot of phlegm non-stop which was white and cloudy, coughing a ridiculous amount non-stop, sneezing non-stop and I can say the sneeze is a different sneeze very strong sneeze which takes the energy out of you. The nasal spray saved me as it worked effectively in drying up my nose, but I had to keep using it. I also lost my sense of smell and taste, I remember for a few weeks food tasted really bland even though my nose was not stuffy because I was using the nasal spray. This went on for 4 months straight, I bought so much cough depressants 5 bottles to help me stop coughing and used 5 bottles of nasal spray to clear up my nose, used tonnes of tissues, took paracetamol a lot I went through 4 packets. My lungs felt like as if someone was sitting on my chest and it was hard to take a breath at times and I would feel a rip in my lung every time I would breathe or cough like as if the fluid was in there and I couldn't get it out. I also had these sharp zaps in my head which would happen randomly like maybe a few times a day probably around three times at the most.

I also remember having a sharp pain in my right eye just under the brow bone and behind the eyeball and above the brow bone and there was also a weird pressure there.

My left eye had the eye infection with a cyst that wouldn't go away for 1 month straight and went away after using all the antibiotic cream ointments, antibiotic eye drops, using isopropyl wipes to no avail and until I surgically stabbed it with a needle to get the infection out cause I had enough. When the eye infection finally went away after one week. Then I noticed my left eye and right eye this whole time was always red and bloodshot in the outer corner of the eyes, always burning, so I again used eye drops to clear the redness. Then again a month after this I got the infection again in my left eye, my vision was blurry in both eyes for 3 months straight, I kept cleaning my glasses thinking it's my glasses may be scratched, but something was wrong with my eyes. Driving at night was very difficult as the glare from the car headlights made my vision worse. This is all up until April and May.

In June and July, I feel fine, no flu or virus symptoms, no coughing, sneezing, I have my taste. My eyes feel normal there is no blurry vision at all when reading at the computer during the day and night, but at night when driving I still get the glare which I never had before. I also feel strange in the mind and I also feel some lethargy at times, I feel slower in thinking and in movements, I feel something is wrong even though I feel better than I did since January.

I never have been tested for the COVID 19 virus but whatever it was and I am sure it was some virus, it was full-on and was hard to shake off. I don't know what the hell it was.
Deb got very sick the day after Christmas, fever, bad cough, just no pep and felt lousy. I remember thinking "how long until it gets me?" and it did, New Years Eve day, slight fever, clear mucus pouring out of my nose like never before, tired, felt so weird. I stayed home that day and rested and also New Year's Day, somehow made it through the rest of the week at work but it felt like it came back on both of us, not quite like it was at first but this thing took the better part of 2 months to get rid of. Several others at my work had it and one got tested for the flu and it was negative, the doctors had no clue what it was but I swear that we had a strain of this plague. And then about a month later I had terrible intestinal pains and gas, finally at Deb's urging I went and got checked but the doctor said he was seeing others with the same symptoms and thought it was the stomach flu, but who knows???!!

I swear that we had it or something just like it, we were never sick like this before and it just felt different.....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The getting better then getting sick again seems to be part of it for a lot of people. I saw a nurse interviewed that had it, she came back from a vacation in Hawaii and came down with it. It lasted a few days then she was fine. She went back to work because she thought she was over it and got sick again. She ended up with pneumonia but did get over it. Pneumonia after a virus hangs on for a long time is not unusual. Many years ago when I was 30 I had a flu virus that did the same thing, waxed and waned for about a month and I ended up with pneumonia.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I understood about Type A blood is that they are more prone to have inflammation issues which cause a release of antibodies and proteins to fight whatever is causing the inflammation. From what I researched they said that if a person body is having an inflammation reaction and antibodies and proteins are triggered to fight the inflammation it means that the immune system is working effectively.

However, in relation to Covid 19 research that I have read, is that it seems that the Covid 19 virus triggers inflammation in the body and the antibodies and proteins go into overdrive, and the blood platelets become altered by the virus which makes the megakaryocytes cell (from the bone marrow responsible for the production of blood thrombocytes (platelets), which are necessary for normal blood clotting become hyperactive, and for some reason, blood clots start to form in every organ of the body. They also say that in the patient's who died, they thought they were dying from inflammation of the heart Myocarditis, but this inflammation which is caused by viral infections in the heart was not detected in the patients who died from COVID 19.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Deb got very sick the day after Christmas, fever, bad cough, just no pep and felt lousy. I remember thinking "how long until it gets me?" and it did, New Years Eve day, slight fever, clear mucus pouring out of my nose like never before, tired, felt so weird. I stayed home that day and rested and also New Year's Day, somehow made it through the rest of the week at work but it felt like it came back on both of us, not quite like it was at first but this thing took the better part of 2 months to get rid of. Several others at my work had it and one got tested for the flu and it was negative, the doctors had no clue what it was but I swear that we had a strain of this plague. And then about a month later I had terrible intestinal pains and gas, finally at Deb's urging I went and got checked but the doctor said he was seeing others with the same symptoms and thought it was the stomach flu, but who knows???!!

I swear that we had it or something just like it, we were never sick like this before and it just felt different.....
I reckon I had it too, cause it was hell, it didn't feel like the flu for me cause I have had a bad flu and a bad virus last year in June and July, but this was something else. At times I felt like I was dying especially when I was feeling like I was on fire and sweating, dizziness, breathing difficulty, confusion and my heart rate was going crazy at times and then there were days where it felt like my heart rate was really slow, and I was thinking it was because I had too much medication mixed with the cough syrup and nasal sprays.

Like there were times where I was thinking I should go to the hospital or I might die, but I didn't tell anyone at home because my parents are elderly and I didn't want to stress them, so I slept with the door unlocked to my room in case something went wrong ( a bit stupid idea).

And because of this hellish experience whenever I walk out of the house into the shopping centre or work, I wear a mask, use hand sanitizer, we have the new spray hand sanitizer that I spray myself with and I use glen 20, wipe everything around me like a lunatic, I keep away from people like they are the plague, I use gloves at work if I have to touch things, and if I touch something that many people would use and I don't have gloves like door handles, a shared pen, stapler etc I will either wash my hands or sanitize my hands. I use my elbows to push buttons in the lift. People at work probably think i have gone nuts, but i dont care.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reckon I had it too,
I'm in the same boat. I swear I had it back in March. I am so predictable when it comes to how my colds and/or flu progress, and this one was just weird. It wasn't a cold, it wasn't a flu, it was a mash up of both and didn't progress normally. At one point, my lips were blue for about a day and a half, that's when I started to worry. The thing is, because my symptoms were all over the place and I didn't have reason to believe I had contact or had traveled, I wouldn't have qualified for testing. This was when there was a shortage of test kits and they were being very strict with who they tested. And also, when the nasal congestion started, (this was before they announced that there were more symptoms than the fever, cough, shortness of breath) I just chalked it up to a bad cold...but now, I really wonder.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did go to the doctor in January, and he was with similar symptoms as me and told me that I just have a normal virus and it was at the time when all the symptoms of COVID didn't exist, and we didn't even have any tests yet to use, you were only tested if you had a fever with severe difficulty breathing and coughing a dry cough.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I reckon I had it too, cause it was hell, it didn't feel like the flu for me cause I have had a bad flu and a bad virus last year in June and July, but this was something else. At times I felt like I was dying especially when I was feeling like I was on fire and sweating, dizziness, breathing difficulty, confusion and my heart rate was going crazy at times and then there were days where it felt like my heart rate was really slow, and I was thinking it was because I had too much medication mixed with the cough syrup and nasal sprays.

Like there were times where I was thinking I should go to the hospital or I might die, but I didn't tell anyone at home because my parents are elderly and I didn't want to stress them, so I slept with the door unlocked to my room in case something went wrong ( a bit stupid idea).

And because of this hellish experience whenever I walk out of the house into the shopping centre or work, I wear a mask, use hand sanitizer, we have the new spray hand sanitizer that I spray myself with and I use glen 20, wipe everything around me like a lunatic, I keep away from people like they are the plague, I use gloves at work if I have to touch things, and if I touch something that many people would use and I don't have gloves like door handles, a shared pen, stapler etc I will either wash my hands or sanitize my hands. I use my elbows to push buttons in the lift. People at work probably think i have gone nuts, but i dont care.
I do similar things, not quite to this extent but I don't blame you.

The other thing to think of could we possibly already have antibodies to resist this now IF we did in fact have it early in the year?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing to think of could we possibly already have antibodies to resist this now IF we did in fact have it early in the year?
I can't remember where I read this so it could be wrong...but I heard that those who got infected and then got it again (after having tested negative after the first infection), had worse symptoms the second time around. As far as I know it was rare for this to happen though.
IF this true, I wonder if that plays into the inflammatory response. When you have antibodies to an infection, it allows you to fight back harder and quicker against the threat, which is usually a good thing. But because that seems to be what is causing covid-19 (over-reaction to infection and inflammatory response) it might not be a good thing to have already had it.
Again, I'm only speculating but still something to consider...
IDK, it's hard to know what to believe and how to interpret all the weird symptoms and findings...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walmart is going to start requiring all customers to wear masks in all stores (including Sam's Club) starting July 20th.

Local schools are talking about opening by splitting the classes in half, having the kids come in on alternating weeks, and doing online school the other weeks, with full disinfecting on the weekends. One guy I know who has a kid in elementary school said that he doesn't think it'll last long. He says there will inevitably be a spike in infections somewhere in the state and then they'll just shut things down again.

My nephew is very much hoping they offer an online-only option. But he's in high school; it's different for little kids. I don't know what parents will do for child care if little kids aren't in school. It's not likely their employers will be very accommodating for long.

Last edited:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't remember where I read this so it could be wrong...but I heard that those who got infected and then got it again (after having tested negative after the first infection), had worse symptoms the second time around. As far as I know it was rare for this to happen though.
IF this true, I wonder if that plays into the inflammatory response. When you have antibodies to an infection, it allows you to fight back harder and quicker against the threat, which is usually a good thing. But because that seems to be what is causing covid-19 (over-reaction to infection and inflammatory response) it might not be a good thing to have already had it.
Again, I'm only speculating but still something to consider...
IDK, it's hard to know what to believe and how to interpret all the weird symptoms and findings...
I work in the administrative side of research, and while I can't go into specifics (due to confidentiality as well as just not knowing myself) I do know that there are researchers here who have found that to be true in animal models - if you get it a second time, and you absolutely can, it is decidedly worse.