Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
South Dakota can be the nation's Libertarian test case :/. I'm not sure how it's going to work out but we'll see I guess. There are no restrictions and no mask requirements, every business does what it wants to do.

I saw the entrance employee stop a guy at Menards to tell him he had to wear a mask. So it's good they're enforcing that. I bet they send their biggest, tallest male employees to be the entrance dude, because I bet Menards customers aren't the sorts who would listen to anyone else. It was kind of funny though because he has a kid with him, and when they came in the kid is like "hey dad, it says we need masks!" and the dad just waved him off. Then when the employee stopped them he was all like "oh, I didn't know!" all innocent-like, lol.

Idk how many at Mt Rushmore were from out of state but that's going to cause a big jump, I think. They were outdoors, which is definitely better than being indoors, but it was pretty crowded and very few wore masks.

Last edited:

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The age group of 18-35, which feels invincible (I remember those days) seems to be the one driving up the numbers. Maybe they will give us the herd mentality which I heard originally was going to be necessary to stop the spread.:rolleyes:

I meant to say herd immunity, not herd mentality.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nick Cordero died after a three month battle with this. He developed the clotting problems and went into septic shock, he was 41 with no underlying health issues. His wife said had he survived he probably would have needed a double lung transplant.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nick Cordero died after a three month battle with this. He developed the clotting problems and went into septic shock, he was 41 with no underlying health issues. His wife said had he survived he probably would have needed a double lung transplant.
I had been following his saga. I am so sad to learn of his passing. RIP Nick Cordero.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thing with herd immunity is that they don't know how effective it is, or how long it lasts.

What is also concerning is that even if you survive, you may have lasting health effects. I know several individuals who are very fit and healthy (think marathon runners) who now can't walk up a flight of stairs without being winded, and their docs say it will be years until regain their former lung capacity, if ever. And the instance of strokes that seem to come with this is super concerning as well - I read a story of an 8 year old boy who survived, but had 2 strokes, dialysis, and a heart operation before he got to leave the hospital.

Our governor made masks mandatory, but it's up to each county to adopt her order. Our county did, but there are so many people who are still refusing and will openly say it's not their job to protect other people.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last year I have had a Costco membership and just realized that I had a Sam’s Club as well as it apparently auto renewed. Anyway, this morning I thought I would go to Sam’s and compare how safe I felt shopping there vs Costco.

1. Costco requires masks, Sam encourages it but doesn’t require it. All staff and about 90% of shoppers were wearing.
2. Costco is always crowded. At Sam’s mid morning on a Monday it was uncrowded with a lot of open aisles
3. Sam’s has self checkout, Costco doesn’t. I was able to walk up, checkout in a minute and be out the door. This is big for me since there isn’t a cashier handling all of my items.
4. This isn’t safety related but for shorter people like me the carts at Sam’s are much lower in height and comfortable.

I definitely felt that at least for the next year, Sam’s feels better to me. And a bonus is that my Kcups coffee was cheaper per cup at Sam’s than at Costco.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Columbus OH has made it mandatory. They have told the Columbus police they can cite people for trespassing if they are in a public area without a mask. The county is looking into whether they can do the same thing. A county commissioner said 'put on a d__n mask'. DeWine at first was going to make it mandatory for the state and he got a lot of pushback so he made it a strong recommendation. I don't know if he will try again.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Shop towels are supposed to be one of the best filtration materials for home made masks. I had been making no sew ones but they look a little strange so I thought I would take a shot today at sewing masks instead. It only took about an hour to get five done . The fabric tape across the top covers the stitching where I sewed in the nose piece and it looks sort of cute. Happy to share measurements/directions if anyone wants them.
A00E0586-0C39-4463-AA3F-4FC01C8AD98D.jpeg

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes please, susanm9006 susanm9006 I bought a roll of those blue Scott shop towels but haven't done anything with them yet. The fabric strip across the top makes all the difference - yours look terrific!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes please, susanm9006 susanm9006 I bought a roll of those blue Scott shop towels but haven't done anything with them yet. The fabric strip across the top makes all the difference - yours look terrific!

Here you go. I bought that pretty fabric tape at Michaels a couple years ago so don’t know if you can still get it but plain old medical cloth tape works as well.

Shop Towel Mask

2 Shop towels, cut to 7 ¼ wide x 9 ¼ long
1 6 inch pipe cleaner
2 7 inch pieces of ¼ inch elastic
1 7 ¼ inch piece of cloth tape (white medical tape or cloth decorative tape)

Lay two towels, cut to size, on top of one another (short side at top). Lay pipe cleaner in center, fold over both towels, about ¾ of an inch and stitch across. Create three folds, approximately one inch or so each going down the towel so that the mask ends up around 3 inches and sew in place along the edges. Use the cloth tape across the top either on outside or inside to cover stitching.

Turn the mask over, place the elastic about a ½ inch diagonally in from the corner, double stitch it. Continue sewing down to bottom, sewing over the other elastic, also placed diagonally ½ inch from corner.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you susanm9006 susanm9006 I have some bias binding tape that I think might work to cover the stitching. Don't think I'll be going to Michael's in covid-19 times to look for tape to make masks for protection against covid-19 . . .

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio started a threat level ranking for counties that goes from 1 to 4. Starting at 6 p.m. counties at three and four are under a mandatory mask requirement. They are required indoors in public areas and outside where social distancing can't be maintained. There are 6 states at level 3 and 1 at level 4. The areas include Cleveland, Youngstown, Columbus and Cincinnati. There is one area at Level 4 and that is Franklin which is Columbus. Police Chiefs in some areas are already saying that they aren't the mask police and they don't have time for this. What it really does is make it easier for businesses to enforce this. It is no longer the business requiring this on their own, they can say the State is forcing them to do this.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Massachusetts is hpeningnup... We have had the numbers lowering, to a point where it was 'considered "safe" "...
Not sure about this.. I think it is opening up too early. It is now the beginning of Stage 3.. There are 2 steps in Stage 3. We are at the first step.

I do not feel comfortable with this. Watching all the other states with the numbers steadily increasing, I think opening up is premature. Governor Baker, is very cautious; however, I think it is a also a matter of somehow saving the economy.

Baker has taken a ton of flak for keeping ups close this long. He is a Republican; more like a Democratic Republican. How else could he be constantly re-elected in a very Blue State?

Personally, I think he has done a good job. He rules by science and not by the 'other' things.

I am still taking advantage of Senior Hours, and staying home a ton.. It is beginning to get to me. Living in a large apartment building, it is claustrophobic. Yes, I have the beach.. but..

I am waiting to see what happens within the next few weeks~~ after the holiday celebrations.

My gut feeling is telling me to keep overstocked on things.. just in case..
We are still in the middle of the first wave... and yet to experience the dreaded second wave.

Trump is an idiot.. but..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not going out much at all. I go into the office one day a week and work from home the rest of the time. I take my Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer in with me. I wipe down my area at the beginning of the day with the Lysol. There is no way I can wash my hands every time I touch a surface that might be contaminated so I use the hand sanitizer frequently. I go to the supermarket on Saturday morning. I wear a mask and do my weekly thorough disinfecting after putting the groceries away. I do go every 5 or 6 weeks to get my hair trimmed. I switched to a salon that is taking all the precautions.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Massachusetts is hpeningnup... We have had the numbers lowering, to a point where it was 'considered "safe" "...
No place is safe, of course, but Massachusetts is looking better than many states.
A30A97F3-1AFB-4BDE-BEF9-2CD620CE2157.jpeg

It is beginning to get to me.
Me, too. I find myself thinking, “I’ll just run out to [name of store].” And then I stop. “No, I won’t.” It’s a “want,” not a “need.”

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure about this.. I think it is opening up too early. It is now the beginning of Stage 3.. There are 2 steps in Stage 3. We are at the first step.

I do not feel comfortable with this. Watching all the other states with the numbers steadily increasing, I think opening up is premature. Governor Baker, is very cautious; however, I think it is a also a matter of somehow saving the economy.

Baker has taken a ton of flak for keeping ups close this long. He is a Republican; more like a Democratic Republican. How else could he be constantly re-elected in a very Blue State?

Personally, I think he has done a good job. He rules by science and not by the 'other' things.

I am still taking advantage of Senior Hours, and staying home a ton.. It is beginning to get to me. Living in a large apartment building, it is claustrophobic. Yes, I have the beach.. but..

I am waiting to see what happens within the next few weeks~~ after the holiday celebrations.

My gut feeling is telling me to keep overstocked on things.. just in case..
We are still in the middle of the first wave... and yet to experience the dreaded second wave.

Trump is an idiot.. but..
I agree with all of this. I'm being very careful. I have asthma and my brother died in February from being sick and it going into his chest. He also had asthma. I've had A LOT of people ask me if it was COVID. Who knows. They weren't testing back then. Because of him, I am being very cautious, more cautious than most. Now that Massachusetts is moving into Phase 3 I am slowly moving into Phase 2. I am having my hair done next week. I'm nervous about it, but I also feel we may ended closing things up again and want to get my six inches of gray roots taken care of. I would consider eating outside at a restaurant if I felt they were taking all of the proper precautions. This weather certainly isn't conducive to it though. We've only been getting curbside takeout. Now with things reopening it's getting harder and harder to find places that are still doing curbside.

My mother is 87 and lives alone. To say the isolation is getting her is an understatement. I can't see her senior center opening up any time soon for Bingo, etc and I'm starting to think she is going have to be put into an Assisted Living facility before that actually happens. The emotional toll that this is taking is awful.

No place is safe, of course, but Massachusetts is looking better than many states.
We are, but are numbers are starting to plateau instead of going down. I'm concerned they are going to start going up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know here when they opened up inside dining and bars the numbers started going the other way. Ohio requires a certain ventilation system to open up inside so there really aren't that many places opened up for inside but they still went up. Franklin county really surged it is now the only county in the state that is at the highest end of the scale that goes from 1 to 4, that is why masks are now mandatory inside public places and outside where social distancing isn't possible.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you susanm9006 susanm9006 I have some bias binding tape that I think might work to cover the stitching. Don't think I'll be going to Michael's in covid-19 times to look for tape to make masks for protection against covid-19 . . .
Yes, I get that. But if you decide you want a print, I just got some beautiful printed paper tape that works fine. You can buy it over the internet at amazon and other places. Just search for Washi Brand tapes.