Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is everyone doing?

My county, my town in particular, has had a boom in cases. We had previously been seeing like one or two new cases every few days; last week there were 30 some new cases and over the weekend 29 more were confirmed. Much of it is tied to the bars being open and packed, but apparently there was also a worker at Hobby Lobby who tested positive and just kept coming to work anyway. I think they had a similar problem at a local restaurant, which is troublesome as that restaurant in particular is small and often packed.

It's a bummer. I went out for a dinner with my friends on Tuesday of last week - we ate on the patio, and the restaurant we went to was really good about wearing masks and having the tables spread apart. But now I've gone back into hiding and probably won't be out for awhile. My friends actually went to the restaurant mentioned above that has had a boom in cases after we got done with dinner, but as my dog recently had surgery I had to get back home to him and couldn't come with (whew).

My friends are pretty split on whether or not they are concerned. My friend in SD works at a coffee shop and has had a terrible time getting the other employees there to wear masks or clean surfaces. About a week ago she came down with a high fever and was tested but it was (thankfully) negative. She's taking it very seriously; but I have other friends who are frequently going to restaurants and bars and one even few to PA over the weekend. It's interesting.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My whole country (Turkey) opened up suddenly after partial lockdown. new cases have doubled in 2 weeks. but numbers seem very low according to official declarations. there is a lot of misinformation. In the meantime, people have been flooding restaurants, bars, beaches, shopping malls. many people carry their masks under their chin (mandatory in all country). although my workplace and colleagues are doing ok in terms of precautions, I'm worried about my family members most, who, like most others are fed up with trying to be careful about every little thing and instead behave at kindergarten level (except not kissing and embracing).

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Illinois and things have been pretty stable and overall cases declining. We are doing good enough in the northern suburbs of Chicago to start phase 4 opening soon, which includes gatherings up to 50 people, indoor seating starts for restaurants (only outdoor for past few weeks) with social distancing measures between tables or barriers installed if less than 6 ft. apart, health clubs open with 50% capacity (saunas, hot tubs and steam rooms still closed), movie theaters and other shows indoors 50% capacity, although outdoor venues on 20% capacity (I would think outdoors would allow for higher capacity approval than indoors?? Confused by this rule unless they are thinking of larger capacities in outdoor venues?), games and recreation like arcades, bowling alleys, etc. open to 50% capacity and outdoor establishments no more than 50 groups (no amusement parks, indoor playgrounds), meetings and conventions up to 50 people or 50% room capacity, summer camps and summer school programs (only during the day, no overnights) at 50 percent with groups sizes 15 of less (10 if participants change week to week), offices 50% capacity.

Previously outdoor seating at restaurants and hair cuts, nail saloons, and massages were open, among other services of that type were allowed to start.

I'm still staying indoors because there are people taking off their masks or not wearing them properly when I've tried to shop at stores or at the farmers market. Granted it is still required where I live.

In Illinois as a whole, our percentage of positives per tests are going down and number of confirmed cases are lower than a week ago. We will see with the further openings for gatherings indoors and some of the holidays this month and next how this may influence things. Still, I'm thankful to be in an area with more restrictions than other areas. Some places are enforcing more than others.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure there are no legal restrictions in this state anymore. A lot of stores are still doing their own restrictions, and a lot of restaurants are doing things differently. I saw that the buffet restaurant my family likes will fully open up next week. . .I hope they do something different because it was a germ factory before. I only go there for the sushi, and fortunately filthy grabby little children don't like sushi so that section is pretty clean. But the chocolate fountain always has little kids' hands and tongues stuck in it, I'd never use it myself. Maybe they can put a fence around it and have an attendant.

Anyway they say the numbers in the state are going down, not sure how, maybe we just live far enough apart and have enough of that Midwestern standoffishness not to breathe on each other. Or maybe they ran out of tests, which seems more likely.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.... Person who attended combined protest, basketball tournament in Waukegan tests positive for COVID-19

Considering people were standing shoulder to shoulder with almost no mask wearers, you bet they are spreading it, whether asymptomatic or not sick enough yet to think it is covid, and don't want to wear mask at all or correctly in other situations. Luckily, I'm a good distance away from here, but who knows how it will spread if there is a cluster from this. Also, the article says "Health officials are urging those who attended the event to self-quarantine until June 28, which is 14 days after the event had been held." I don't have faith people with willingly quarantine if told to if they don't feel sick... I'm hoping I'm wrong.

We'll see how my area and surrounding areas are in the following weeks after this and things start opening up more.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overall my Province is doing well, except for a few specific areas. Things are opening up with restrictions. In my city, we did not have any documented cases since May 14th, then just this past weekend, we got 3. Two are in their twenties, who traveled "down south" (where all the cases are) and the other is in his 60's with an unknown cause.
With only 3 cases, were obviously doing well, but it we still need to be careful as things open up.
I'm also back at work now as of Monday. It went OK, but I (well, the receptionist - over the phone screening) had to refuse treatment to a client as they screened positive. Clients have to screen negative to questions about travel, contact and symptoms, and this person unfortunately said yes to one of the symptoms, so they couldn't come in for their appointment. (It's mandated by our ministry of health and governing body).

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyway they say the numbers in the state are going down, not sure how, maybe we just live far enough apart and have enough of that Midwestern standoffishness not to breathe on each other. Or maybe they ran out of tests, which seems more likely.
My friend who lives in Mitchell said there's a lot of just not testing that is going on. She said that if you get really sick, or you've been exposed, doctors are just telling people to assume they have it, but don't offer a test. She did manage to get tested though, and it was negative. But she wasn't super ill and wasn't knowingly exposed to someone who was sick (though she works in the public so it's likely).

I've seen a lot of people say that many get sick and may not know it and probably never show symptoms. But those people typically aren't getting tested, so they may have it but they aren't being reflected in the numbers - so this numbers jump is due to individuals who have it and did get sick. Which concerns me - in the past week our numbers have nearly doubled. And it was supposed to "take a break" this summer. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see, but I'm not personally taking any risks. I'm super lucky that my boss has advanced degrees in infectious diseases and does not mess around - we won't physically go back into the office until it's safe, and I am grateful for that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend who lives in Mitchell said there's a lot of just not testing that is going on. She said that if you get really sick, or you've been exposed, doctors are just telling people to assume they have it, but don't offer a test. She did manage to get tested though, and it was negative. But she wasn't super ill and wasn't knowingly exposed to someone who was sick (though she works in the public so it's likely).

I've seen a lot of people say that many get sick and may not know it and probably never show symptoms. But those people typically aren't getting tested, so they may have it but they aren't being reflected in the numbers - so this numbers jump is due to individuals who have it and did get sick. Which concerns me - in the past week our numbers have nearly doubled. And it was supposed to "take a break" this summer. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see, but I'm not personally taking any risks. I'm super lucky that my boss has advanced degrees in infectious diseases and does not mess around - we won't physically go back into the office until it's safe, and I am grateful for that.
It sure isn’t taking a break and as far as I am concerned now is more dangerous than in March, because people are more relaxed and tired of being alone. I know a week ago I totally forgot about social distancing and COVID and had a nice long chat with a neighbor. It wasn’t til I came in that I realized what I had done.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
COV-19 will be around for a long time. I was reading an article supposedly by a viral immunologist (I studied immunology in college). He had all the jargon correct ( I don't really trust what I read on the Internet any more.) From what he said it is more complex that other viruses with our immune response. So basically I am getting a better mask to wear when I go out and preparing for the long haul!
j

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is going to be a long haul and the sooner that people realize that and adjust the better. We don't have to go back to lockdowns, just common sense precautions. Limiting number of people in stores, wearing masks, as many office workers as possible working from home, online options for school those are the types of things that can keep much of the economy open. Things like gyms and inside restaurant dining, maybe not but other things can be open with limitations. Things like no more samples or testers along with limiting number of people inside at the same time. The elderly and people with underlying conditions should stay home as much as possible. Everyone else just use a little common sense.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Retail workers on Reddit are saying that people are presenting them with bogus "ADA cards" saying that they can't wear a mask because it will cause them "mental or physical harm". So for any retail workers who work somewhere masks are required, be on the lookout. Not sure if your workplace would want the fight but it's still a thing to watch out for.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Retail workers on Reddit are saying that people are presenting them with bogus "ADA cards" saying that they can't wear a mask because it will cause them "mental or physical harm". So for any retail workers who work somewhere masks are required, be on the lookout. Not sure if your workplace would want the fight but it's still a thing to watch out for.
That was on the news here yesterday!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been back to work for a week now, and things have gone pretty well overall, so I'm glad about that. But one thing I've noticed is how little people have been staying current with the symptoms and possible side effects of this virus. I understand there is still a lot of unknown, especially with long term effects but just as an FYI, I thought I would post what information I have. (I work in health care so we are mandated to stay current on this stuff)

The more common symptoms of COVID-19 include:
• Fever (temperature of 37.8°C or greater)
• New or worsening cough
• Shortness of breath (dyspnea)

Other symptoms of COVID-19 include:
• Sore throat
• Difficulty swallowing
• New olfactory or taste disorder(s) (loss of taste/smell)
• Nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain
• Runny nose, or nasal congestion
• Exacerbation of chronic conditions
• Chills
• Headaches

Other signs of COVID-19 can include:
• Clinical or radiological evidence of pneumonia

Atypical symptoms/clinical pictures of COVID-19 should be considered, particularly in children, older persons, and people living with a developmental disability. Atypical symptoms can include:
• Unexplained fatigue / malaise (general feeling of unwell) / myalgias (muscle aches/pains)
• Delirium (acutely altered mental status and inattention)
• Unexplained or increased number of falls
• Acute functional decline
• Croup
• Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
• Multisystem inflammatory vasculitis

In children :
Presentation may include persistent fever, abdominal pain, conjunctivitis, gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting and diarrhea) and rash
Atypical signs can include:
• Unexplained tachycardia (fast heart rate), including age specific tachycardia for children
• Decrease in blood pressure • Unexplained hypoxia (even if mild i.e. O2 sat <90%)
• Lethargy, difficulty feeding in infants (if no other diagnosis)

An increasing number of COVID-19 patients are developing fast moving, potentially life-threatening blood clots that may lead to stroke or limb amputation in some cases. And many of these patients are YOUNG. The clotting can happen even when the active infection is gone and can present in asymptomatic patients.
These clots are forming in veins not normally affected by critical illness and are difficult to break down even with the use of blood thinners, presenting a new challenge in treating and understanding the novel coronavirus.
Many patients infected with COVID are getting large blood clots in veins and arteries, but also very small blood clots even in the smaller blood vessels of the lung, of the kidney, of the brain.
Even the capillaries (smallest veins) of the skin are seen to be affected.

Other research is showing that this virus crosses the placenta in pregnant women. And although the pool of candidates was small, some women in their first and second trimesters, unfortunately miscarried. And all the placentas tested, even in babies who were born healthy, showed damage and clotting. They are unsure if this is a direct correlation with coronavirus, but still something to I feel people should know. Especially considering that a woman's immune system is lowered during pregnancy, making contracting the virus a bigger threat.

Again, this is not to scare anyone, and I'm not trying to cause any increased anxiety, but if people are only focusing on the breathing/coughing and fever, and ignoring or are unaware of all these other possible symptoms then of course, the risk of further spread is increased. We don't need to hide and cower, just take proper precautions.
Wash your hands often
Don't touch your face
Keep distance
Wear mask if distancing is difficult (whether you feel sick or not).

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get terrified by everything I read about pregnancy and Covid. I'm on a baby aspirin regimen for other reasons, but it sounds like that wouldn't be enough to help with the clotting if I were to contract it. I do think the placenta is bigger than needed, so it could take some damage without hurting the baby. I can't put myself in a bubble and it's trying to decide which risks to take.

And then half of those Covid symptoms are also pregnancy symptoms!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is always going to be some risk but there are things that we can do to lower the risk. I went for a hair trim yesterday, I had my big haircut after things opened back 5 weeks ago but I went for a trim yesterday. I needed a cut when everything shut down so it was really bad when I got it cut after the salons reopened . I want to keep up with it in case there is another shut down. I used to go to a walk in place I am now going to a regular salon where a lot of precautions are taken. They do the cell phone thing so you don't come in until the stylist is ready. Very few people in the salon, plexiglass shields everywhere, everyone wearing masks. I know they are disinfecting between clients. Yesterday she was running a little late so I think she was trying to get caught up and her entire station was still wet from disinfectant. I am paying more for a cut but it is worth it to me to lower the risk as much as possible. That is all we can do, lower our risk as much as possible.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so it could take some damage without hurting the baby.
Yes, yes, yes.
That's why I made sure to include that even full term healthy babies born had shown sings of damage and clotting. Even compared to NON covid patients, some placentas showed damage (although I don't think the specific clotting).
If they were so fragile, humans would have died out long ago.
But for those, or those we may know who "poo poo" the possible risks (not you), it's better, to have the information so you can make an informed decision.

It's not healthy to over think everything and cause a bunch of anxiety, but we can't keep our heads in the sand either.

Congrats by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!, I saw your other thread but didn't reply yet.

Last edited:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Due to my migraines + birth control I'm somewhat of a stroke risk so the clotting and strokes in young individuals (like myself) concerns me. I'm also the type of person who gets a cold and it turns into something worse pretty easily, so I've been extra cautious.

Cases here continue to climb. News yesterday was that a handful of EMT workers at 3/4 locations in the county had fallen ill - not due to patient proximity but community spread and then they spread it among themselves.