Corona Virus Now Spreading

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry everybdy, I sneeze whenever the sun shines (and it hasn't stopped shining since the beginning of April). When I have to go shopping I look into the sun before I get out of the car and have a really good sneeze - at least 5 or 6 times! I then put on my mask, keep my head down, and enter the shop! It's worked up till now but one day I'm sure to explode in the store ...... and be thrown out? 🤧

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My provincial government changed the parameters of what type of Health Care Providers can open and we didn't even get any notice of these changes from our governing bodies prior to it being announced to the public on the figgin' news!!!! It was like a sneaky, back door deal that no one knew about.
The media basically said "they're allowed to open now! yay! Yeah, well hold your horses people! First, it's a gradual opening providing services with STRICT protocols. And it applies to essential care, and that we have to prioritize clients who would otherwise suffer without our services. Your stiff back from sitting on your butt on Facebook all day doesn't count, go get a hip replacement surgery and we'll talk! And that's only if and when we get guidelines and procedures given to us by our individual governing bodies. Which also means that clinics need time to prepare and get all the necessary equipment to be able to provide treatment. This was VERY unexpected due to the nature of our services and that we are still under an emergency order. I don't know who was pushing to include us in the first phases of reopening our economy, but they should have kept their mouths shut!
So now we are all having to do damage control explaining to clients that "no you can't get a massage tomorrow!!!!"
So frustrating!
I talked to my boss last night when this came out. She asked what I thought and is totally on board with my concerns...Even she doesn't think we'll be able to open until July, so at least there is no pressure.
She is going to gather all the information she can find and send us some documentation to go over in regards to what we need, would like and what not to move forward to a gradual opening. We are going to have a staff meeting in the next couple weeks to go over all the new policies and procedures, and also to get our input on how to proceed. We all have to be comfortable and prepared, so I'm glad she's asking for our input and not jumping the gun on anything.

OK, freak out done....sorry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read a Business Insider article that said using the stimulus payment to pay off debt such as student loans or a car loan is a bad idea :dunno: The article said to use the money for rent / mortgage, groceries, utility bills, etc and then put the remainder aside for emergency savings. In lots of places around the US, a $1200 stimulus payment isn't enough to cover one month's rent.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rich people notoriously don't know how much things cost, and simultaneously overestimate and underestimate, like the famous line from Arrested Development "I mean, it's one banana, Michael. What could it cost, $10?"

Anyway I doubt most people have any choice what they spend it on, there will be bills that NEED to be paid, or food they NEED to buy, etc.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came across this article...
After I laughed at the ridiculousness of this. I started to be a little concerned about how something like this will affect the spread.
If monkeys are susceptible of even just being carriers (note the part where one was caught chewing on one of the samples)...let's face it...they don't practice social distancing.
Coronavirus: Monkeys 'escape with COVID-19 samples' after attacking lab assistant

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went shopping today. I think everybody here has forgotten there's a pandemic :/. Walmart was a madhouse and there were like 3 people wearing masks (besides the employees). Full stock of TP though! Of course people were wearing masks at Costco, but nobody paid any attention to distancing or anything. Everybody is gonna have it soon.

I tried to get in for a haircut---the website let me make an appointment. But the stylist called me back after just a minute, sounding a bit harried, and said there were no appointments available until tomorrow late afternoon and she didn't know why the website let me make an appointment. Oh well, guess I'll be moppy a little longer.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The first bit of good new about the virus is popping up in the news coming out of Italy and from viral researchers. They believe there is evidence that the virus is weakening and becoming less lethal. The Italian doctor or researcher, don’t recall which went so far as to say that the COVID they are seeing now is nothing like that of the initial outbreak. Let’s all hope that is true.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many viruses do weaken as they replicate, not all but many do. A successful virus does not kill it's host and this virus is new to humans. There are already four coronaviruses that are endemic to humans and they cause the common cold. I believe in time there will be a fifth and that is the new to humans virus that we are dealing with now. It is a matter of how long it takes and how many casualties there will be before we get to that point.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Many viruses do weaken as they replicate, not all but many do. A successful virus does not kill it's host and this virus is new to humans. There are already four coronaviruses that are endemic to humans and they cause the common cold. I believe in time there will be a fifth and that is the new to humans virus that we are dealing with now. It is a matter of how long it takes and how many casualties there will be before we get to that point.
Right. That is why hearing the Italian say that they are actually seeing a difference in patients from a month or two ago to now gives hope that it will happen sooner rather than later.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
South Dakota universities say they'll start in-person classes at the end of August, then run non-stop (no holidays or in service days) until the Thanksgiving break, and then move to online classes for the rest of the year. This is to try to keep the students from travelling home and back all the time. Sounds interesting, I wonder if other states will try that too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
South Dakota universities say they'll start in-person classes at the end of August, then run non-stop (no holidays or in service days) until the Thanksgiving break, and then move to online classes for the rest of the year. This is to try to keep the students from travelling home and back all the time. Sounds interesting, I wonder if other states will try that too.
I feel like I heard Notre Dame was going to start classes earlier than usual, so they could try to get in a full semester before a second wave.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else see this photo?
1591279646861.png

This is from a park in San Francisco

While I think this is pretty smart thinking from the officials stand point. What's sad is it's needed.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid some of my debts off as I follow the advice of Dave Ramsey and he said that we should use the stimulus to continue paying off debt. I guess he knows what he's talking about. Most creditors and collection agencies work with you if they know you're using Dave Ramsey's formula.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to put mine into savings but I think it will soon come right back out again to help cover the cost of my dog's surgery.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, you can always count on the Post for quality journalism :D.

I'm sure epidemiologists have to look into this stuff, but I don't think it quite deserves a news story.

ETA: do they really say "parping" in Australia? I've never heard that before!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a haircut on Saturday. They had everyone wear a mask, and charged a $3.95 "sanitation fee" :/. Now, they did have to let the disinfectant sit for 10 minutes in between customers, so they are losing money that way, so I guess I can justify that surcharge. I just hope it's actually going to the stylists and not lining some rich dude's pockets. And the stylist said that a lot of people would argue with her about wearing a mask, or take it off halfway through and she'd have to threaten to leave them half-cut to get them to put it on again. Poor girl. They don't get paid enough for that nonsense.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a haircut on Saturday. They had everyone wear a mask, and charged a $3.95 "sanitation fee" :/. Now, they did have to let the disinfectant sit for 10 minutes in between customers, so they are losing money that way, so I guess I can justify that surcharge. I just hope it's actually going to the stylists and not lining some rich dude's pockets. And the stylist said that a lot of people would argue with her about wearing a mask, or take it off halfway through and she'd have to threaten to leave them half-cut to get them to put it on again. Poor girl. They don't get paid enough for that nonsense.
Breaks my heart.

I went to the supermarket yesterday and the poor girl in the deli could barely breathe while working.

I feel like it's awful stores require employees to wear masks but that the stores don't require the same of shoppers. I'm very pro-mask because I've always felt like if I can help not spread it, then I'll do whatever I can. I don't really understand some people.

I look forward to when this is all over =(