Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My town is requiring mandatory masks in stores,
Oh sure, if the town requires it. I'm not sure they would if not required to though. We'll see if all Walmarts will change their policy at the same time.

My brother works at Walmart too (masks are required now) and he says wearing a mask for a full shift isn't so bad, not sure how he feels about gloves. If employees won't wear a mask they get sent home without pay, and could get fired. But there are definitely some "sovereign citizen" types of customers that I can imagine will refuse to wear a mask, and you can't threaten to fire them! And they aren't going to leave peacefully. It's going to be interesting to see how that works out.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Remdesivir has been a candidate for treatment for about a month, at least. They've just needed to run the necessary trials. According to what I read, the trial resulted in an 8% vs 11% "failure", which is only a 3% margin between the treated group vs the placebo group. It's encouraging, but in my opinion, there's still room for improvement. Perhaps it will be the building block for a treatment cocktail.

As for wearing masks in the grocery stores and in public... we should have all seen that coming. When I went to the Asian market, they had a security guy standing at the door to help enforce their policy. They were also very carefully metering the people going in as others left.

I'm honestly losing my patience with people who complain about virus protocols.
This thing doesn't care about your rights, it doesn't care about your religion, or culture, or lifestyle.
Just wear the masks, respect personal space, and clean your hands!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But there are definitely some "sovereign citizen" types of customers that I can imagine will refuse to wear a mask, and you can't threaten to fire them! And they aren't going to leave peacefully. It's going to be interesting to see how that works out.
Agree

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm honestly losing my patience with people who complain about virus protocols.
This thing doesn't care about your rights, it doesn't care about your religion, or culture, or lifestyle.
Just wear the masks, respect personal space, and clean your hands!
Right there with you. It is something so simple to help protect other people, if someone unknowingly is a carrier.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Remdesivir has been a candidate for treatment for about a month, at least. They've just needed to run the necessary trials. According to what I read, the trial resulted in an 8% vs 11% "failure", which is only a 3% margin between the treated group vs the placebo group. It's encouraging, but in my opinion, there's still room for improvement. Perhaps it will be the building block for a treatment cocktail.
I had no idea it was. I've been trying to stay away from coronavirus related news for my mental health.

And yes, I agree. More needs to be done at this seems like a step in the right direction.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Costco announced today that starting Monday, all shoppers and employees have to wear masks. I wonder if they’ll provide masks if members come unprepared. It wouldn’t surprise me. Weeks ago as this thing was just getting started, they had an employee stationed at the entrance wiping down cart handles as people entered.
I don't know about the Costcos around here, as we're not members, but ALL stores are requiring masks for all shoppers, per the governor's orders, and it's bring-your-own. No mask, no entry. Period.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
She said starting May 1st all workers will be wearing masks and gloves (although some may be already as a personal choice), and they will have a sign on each entrance door stating customers must wear a mask. She did not state whether or not supplies were provided or not.
I'm not a fan of the idea places have of wearing gloves- because unless people change their gloves after everything they do what they touch leaves on the next surface a conglomeration everything they have touched before. I see how it's protection for the wearer, but it's spreading more stuff around. I think more frequent handwashing would be better. Which is a pain at work, but healthcare workers do it (including me for over 40 years.)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know about the Costcos around here, as we're not members, but ALL stores are requiring masks for all shoppers, per the governor's orders, and it's bring-your-own. No mask, no entry. Period.
Our governor hasn’t gone that far, but it seems to me that more people are voluntarily wearing them. Of course, I’m only going out once a week for our quick grocery run. But I’d say that about 75% of shoppers were wearing masks on Sunday at Fred Meyer (which is Kroger owned). Thankfully, our county has a very low number of cases and no deaths...so far. 🤞

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had no idea it was. I've been trying to stay away from coronavirus related news for my mental health.

And yes, I agree. More needs to be done at this seems like a step in the right direction.

This drug is being put through the paces with trials and is showing promise. China is throwing cold water on it by saying they saw no improvement but they also talked up the anti-malaria drug that Trump was talking about so they don't have much credibility. It is a true anti-viral. The problem with anti-virals is that there isn't a one size fits all. They have to work against the mechanism that a specific virus uses to take over cells in the body, this one shows promise in stopping the viral spread in the body which would keep a case from becoming severe.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered one of these for doing some sandblasting. I wonder if it would pass for going shopping. It includes a hardhat!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Medical and dental facilities are reopening next week in my state. They're going to require masks for everyone of course, but I still feel a little uneasy.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a respirator that I wore when spray painting vehicles. It had 2 filter cartridges with activated carbon inserts. I wish I still had it, but the rubber parts deteriorated long ago.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a respirator that I wore when spray painting vehicles. It had 2 filter cartridges with activated carbon inserts. I wish I still had it, but the rubber parts deteriorated long ago.
Studies have shown Scott’s blue shop towels made into a mask are about as good as a N95 mask. No sewing needed, you just accordion fold them staple each end about an inch in, add a rubber band and staple at the end. They arent the most attractive to look at but comfortable to wear. Can post a pic if you want to see one.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Medical and dental facilities are reopening next week in my state. They're going to require masks for everyone of course, but I still feel a little uneasy.
How can you get a dental procedure done wearing a mask?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume they'd have you wear it up until the actual exam or procedure starts.
I guess that makes sense. Like I could see wearing a mask to the doctor, or like for cataract surgery or something, but that threw me for a loop.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What still gets me is just how many people are totally okay with others getting sick and dying "because she was old", or "because he was a smoker". It increases their chances, but if they hadn't gotten COVID they wouldn't have died. And it's not okay that you're okay with their death.

I know death is a reality. I've lost all of my grandparents and a woman who was very close to me (years ago, not because of COVID). I grew up on a farm and have certainly seen death close up. But I think if we can prevent it, we should. And if preventing it means you don't get to go to the beach for a couple of months, fine. I know it sucks. I wanted to go on vacation too.

And I know there are many who need to work and who are in financial trouble; hopefully this lets us take a good look at just what shape our economy was in before this. But my frustration is mainly aimed at those who want to leave simply because they are bored or who want a haircut. I saw a post on Facebook from an individual who I had previously met with considering him loans (will not be using him anymore) that anyone who is compromised or "scared" should stay home so he and others can go out and have fun. He can work from home so it is not a hardship for him, just selfishness.

Anyway, rant over. I think our state is going to be opening up Monday because of pressure from individuals. I just hope it isn't catastrophic.

Today is my mother's 65th birthday. I've ordered an ice cream cake for her from Baskin Robbins and am going to pick up Mexican food as well and take it out there. You can bet I'll be wearing a mask the whole time and will be using a lot of germ-x between trips. I'm nervous because I honestly haven't been anywhere besides my house and my parents' house in weeks - but I can do this.