Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah there was a guy on Youtube who counted out 1000 grains of rice, then 1000 times that (one million), which was a fair-sized pile, then brought in a dump truck with 1000 times that (1 billion) to illustrate exactly how much more money a billionaire has than everyone else. So, yikes.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are below 50 new cases a day here in Korea. A large portion of that are people who have returned from overseas, so after next week (2 weeks since mandatory quarantine for all arrivals) we should get a good picture of how much is being spread through the community. It keeps popping up in bursts, but honestly with the amount of normalcy people are going about their lives, you'd think it would have gotten a lot worse. The government is still trying to get young people to stop clubbing, meanwhile the political candidates (the federal elections here are next week) have been ignoring social distancing too and going out and speaking to gatherings of people 🤦
Still too early to drop the guard, but it will also be interesting to keep an eye on China as Wuhan started to open back up this week.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy moly

:jawdrop::jawdrop:

'Jack Dorsey, the founder of Twitter and payment app Square, has said he will donate $1bn (£810m) towards efforts to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

According to Mr Dorsey, the donation represented approximately 28% of his wealth.'

Twitter boss pledges $1bn for coronavirus relief

Astonishing to think that the huge amount of money is only just over a quarter of his overall worth..
Step right up, Jack. And all you others out there with far more than you should have, who haven't stepped up and made a meaningful contribution, NOW's THE TIME.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn’t it crazy? There’s been a lot of upset I’ve read too about wealthy people who are donating what seems like a lot but is a minuscule amount of their actual wealth. The Facebook guy comes to mind. People are saying it’ll bring about discussions about income inequality in the US but probably not...
Yes, 1% holds 90% of the wealth... I am extremely passionate about this topic. People have already been having discussions from years. My school has had many events this semester to educate people and brainstorm and inspire ways to spread awareness and help, even before the virus started. Many of my friends are advocates and always sharing information, too. Everything has to start somewhere. I believe that voices will get louder and increase in abundance because of current events though. We need to keep fighting for each other. We deserve better.

I was relieved to read that, at least in Illinois, essential workers are supposed to have most of daycare costs for children covered and only pay $1. (Does not say if per day, etc.)
Illinois Will Charge ‘Essential’ Workers $1 For Child Care During Coronavirus Emergency

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard this morning that J. K. Rowling had shown symptoms of COVID-19 (but never got tested so it isn't certain that she had it, just likely) and said that she was helped by doing a breathing exercise she got from her doctor. Here's the video:

I grew up in Colorado, and when I was a girl we used to go to the mountains numerous times every summer. (For those who don't know, my mother was a physical therapist, so extremely knowledgeable about medical matters.) One day in the mountains we met a woman who normally lived at sea level, who was having an attack of altitude sickness. And my mother told her that any time you're having trouble breathing, it's very important to exhale as fully as possible. If you haven't fully exhaled when you take your next breath, there will be stale air still in your lungs, carbon dioxide snuggling up to your alveoli (the tiny air sacks in your lungs where oxygen is taken in and carbon dioxide released), and all that CO2 will keep the fresh, oxygen-rich air away from those alveoli, which is where you need it. So when you're doing these exercises, make sure you exhale all the air you breathed in.

Margret

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw John Prine in concert once, back when I was in high school. Joe Diffie also died last week of Covid complications. Sad week for country music.

The mayor of Seoul finally shut down clubs today. It sounds like something out of a drama, but a K-pop star got the virus when he was overseas. He went to a club where a club worker and her roommate both tested positive and both worked full-shifts over the very busy weekend (I saw pictures of the street and wow, yeah, that's a lot of kids not caring about the virus) Before the government tried to strongly encourage clubs to close and would fine them for staying open (for a big club in Gangnam, a fine of a couple grand wouldn't be very noticeable), but now they've completely suspended business for all bars and clubs until the 19th. A belated move, I think, but a good one. I knew kids were still going out, but I didn't know so many were that irresponsible.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Things are not going to go back to the way they were before this anytime soon. This stuff is going to cycle. It isn't mutating as fast as flu viruses do which makes a vaccine possible. It would probably be an annual thing like the flu vaccine. Until we get either a vaccine or we accommodate this virus thru it mutating and more and more people having antibodies, we are going to be going in and out of these lockdowns. There will always be some public health restrictions and there will be those who ignore those restrictions.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know people have been bitching about those 9 states that aren't on lockdown, my state Nebraska included. I don't think people understand that out here and I am sure in those other states, social distancing is more the norm than not. We just don't have the population. The only cases of coronavirus we have are in the bigger cities. The restaurants have been closed, drive-through only, a store like Walmart, etc. are limiting the number of people, and we have pretty much been doing what everyone else has been doing. it just isn't official. The governor has been mandating much stricter restrictions county by county. Making people stay home for fourteen days is enforced if they have tested positive, or even are sick, and most businesses have shut down or abide by the ten-person rule and 6-foot distance rule. No church, no gatherings of any kind. We aren't on lockdown, but we are following a lot of rules anyway!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think people understand that out here and I am sure in those other states, social distancing is more the norm than not.
download (1).jpeg

:lol:
The only cases of coronavirus we have are in the bigger cities.
Unfortunately that's not how it's playing out here. The small towns in this area actually have a higher per capita rate than the cities so far. Which makes sense---in a small town, everybody goes to the same bar/restaurant, the same weddings and funerals, the same church, the same park, the same businesses, the same Post Office, etc.

Yes, we're doing basically the same things that someone in a state with a stay-at-home order is doing. But if the governor doesn't call a stay-at-home order, workers aren't protected if they choose to stay at home. So anything else I have to say about that belongs in IMO.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw John Prine in concert once, back when I was in high school.
I was supposed to see him last summer in Denver, but he was feeling poorly then, and another band took his spot last minute. So I'm not sure how well he was doing before he got the virus and I'm sure it was, sadly, too much for him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I know this involves our Prime Minister. But this is not meant to be a political dig or anything. This is simply a hilarious and cringe worthy use of words. I laughed by butt off. Enjoy!
Trudeau Says ‘Speaking Moistly’ During Coronavirus Update, Regrets It Immediately

LOL! EW!
I can't wait for all the memes to come out on this! :lol:
Hahahahaha! Oh wow that's great. I think I'd fire that speech writer, lol. You can tell he didn't write it and hadn't read it before then.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to report that I finally found some toilet paper today during my walk at cvs! So much excitement. Bought one 12 pack.
Our Target has both toilet paper and paper towels, but in larger packages. Limit one to a customer. I bought paper towels yesterday while we were out, but we didn't need TP, so I didn't buy any. Our Giant has paper towels, but not a roll of TP in sight anywhere.

When I bought the paper towels (Bounty), I felt like I had won the lottery.