Corona Virus Now Spreading

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to Kroger today. We kept our phones and my credit card that we used to pay for groceries in a ziplock baggie. No masks. We brought about 5 Clorox wipes and wiped down everything we touched before putting it into the buggy. Once we got to the car, we sprayed the outside of all the bags with a 50% alcohol solution (perks of being lab rats!) and put them in the trunk (it's hot here so in theory that heat did some killing). Used hand sanitizer as soon as we got in the car. When we got home, we stripped down, threw our clothes in the washing machine, and washed them in hot water and dried them for a long time. Unloaded the groceries and sprayed down the counter with the alcohol solution. We then took hot showers.
But are you high risk or do you have contact with high risk people? I’m not and I’m not doing any of this, and your post made me wonder if I should. We don’t go out for grocery shopping as it seems panic buying in Seattle has somewhat stopped and we’ve been able to order groceries online, and when I get them, I just put everything in its place and then wash my hands very diligently. We’re also doing take outs few times a week (because of laziness plus willingness to help the restaurants in our area). Apart from that we have no interaction with anyone at all, although we go for daily walks/runs around our neighborhood.
The way I see it is that most of us will get that virus sooner or later, and great majority will only have mild symptoms. Looking at statistics, I’m positive I’m in this group of people. I actually sometimes wish I could have it now since we’re isolating anyway and I’m not a threat for others. I’m not worried about myself at all, only about infecting someone else.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I turned 49 I have never had a drink because of medication. So I know nothing about alcohol. Should I just go to Target and buy a beer? Embarrasing question

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All the extra handwashing is doing a number on my hands. I am using Eucerin for very dry skin on them but the backs are chapped. At times they are actually sore. I am going to continue with the handwashing though.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also hoping you check in artiemom artiemom - I hope you're healthy and as mentally well as you can be.
I am ok... I really am, physically ok... Emotionally, well-that is a different story.
I am lazy.. the "not sleeping well" bug has caught me. It is so easy, when you have no place to go, to just laze around all day in you pjs--and eat, watch tv, on computer..

Our update last night: no new cases!!! A total of 20 cases and 7 deaths. Yes, I knew a couple of them. And another friend, in the building, has the virus and is not doing good.

The executive director of the building has gotten it... sigh..He said it was a mild case.. we will see.

I have my windows open every day--for fresh air. I wipe down the door, periodically with Clorox wipes. At my Wellness phone call check, I mentioned that I was concerned about my car, since I have not started or moved it, in a week.

The caller noted it, and will look into seeing if someone would at least take my remote start, to start the car.

Management is trying.

We are ok.. Geoffrey is getting so spoiled.. He wants to play!! This time it will be 3 times today!!! He cries for it!!

I did manage to trim his claws--had to resort to a towel wrapped around him---a slippery worm--Covering his head.

Today, I had to brush him.. He has been having weekly hairballs come up.. I have a precious supply of paper towels and bags, and gloves.. sigh..

We are doing ok.. the days are just mashing together.. On Thursday I swore it was Friday!!

My only issue problem is my neighbor across the hall.. She is a chain smoker. She has everyone convinced that she does not smoke in her apartment. The cigarette smoke invades my entire apartment!! She thinks she has everyone fooled.. She is a bully..

I have been officially complaining about her since August. Now, I am not going to deal with it.. Today, I had to call the emergency number to complain. They keep calling her, and she keeps smoking. She thinks that while having her window open, the smoke does not come out!!! and she just calls their bluff!!! Also tries to cover it up with stinky air freshener!!

I got such an immediate headache and asthmatic this afternoon, I was furious. Now is not the time for having issues..

I tried talking to her, in August. She denied it, said she knows the rules, and started yelling and bullying me.. That is when I decided to officially complain.. She has lived here or 8 years, and has given the staff 'gifts'... so they are hesitant to confront her... Gets me so mad..

Today, I was so furious, that I decided I am going to mention this when they call me for the wellness check. I am going to ask them if they can do anything about this. This is going over the head of the people here, but if they cannot do anything, maybe this will do it.. sigh.....

anyway, my vent for the day...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually sometimes wish I could have it now since we’re isolating anyway and I’m not a threat for others. I’m not worried about myself at all, only about infecting someone else.
I feel that way too. If there were a way I could deliberately expose myself and then stay home, I'd do it right this minute. I just want to get it over with instead of feeling like a slow-motion tornado is coming.
Since I turned 49 I have never had a drink because of medication. So I know nothing about alcohol. Should I just go to Target and buy a beer? Embarrasing question
What for?
All the extra handwashing is doing a number on my hands. I am using Eucerin for very dry skin on them but the backs are chapped. At times they are actually sore. I am going to continue with the handwashing though.
I've been slathering my hands in Eucerin (Vaseline would work too) and wearing nitrile gloves all night. Seems to keep my hands in one piece so far, although they still look pretty rough at the end of the day.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel that way too. If there were a way I could deliberately expose myself and then stay home, I'd do it right this minute. I just want to get it over with instead of feeling like a slow-motion tornado is coming.

What for?

I've been slathering my hands in Eucerin (Vaseline would work too) and wearing nitrile gloves all night. Seems to keep my hands in one piece so far, although they still look pretty rough at the end of the day.
To make sanitizer

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, for that you want rubbing alcohol (should be labeled as "isopropyl alcohol"). They have 70% and 91%. Either one is fine but get the 91% if you can find it. It should be in the pharmacy section near the bandaids and stuff.

If you really can't get that, you can use a very strong liquor like Everclear. It needs to be at least 70% alcohol (it will say on the label---not the "proof", look for the "ABV"). Straight vodka may be strong enough.

Don't use those directly on your skin though! They'll burn. But they're fine for spraying on things.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
But are you high risk or do you have contact with high risk people? I’m not and I’m not doing any of this, and your post made me wonder if I should. We don’t go out for grocery shopping as it seems panic buying in Seattle has somewhat stopped and we’ve been able to order groceries online, and when I get them, I just put everything in its place and then wash my hands very diligently. We’re also doing take outs few times a week (because of laziness plus willingness to help the restaurants in our area). Apart from that we have no interaction with anyone at all, although we go for daily walks/runs around our neighborhood.
The way I see it is that most of us will get that virus sooner or later, and great majority will only have mild symptoms. Looking at statistics, I’m positive I’m in this group of people. I actually sometimes wish I could have it now since we’re isolating anyway and I’m not a threat for others. I’m not worried about myself at all, only about infecting someone else.
I suppose I'm considered "higher" risk? I have some breathing issues that are only exacerbated when I exercise, but nothing diagnosed. I've never had an inhaler or had to go to the ER in my post-toddler life because of breathing issues.

I'm just very paranoid. Neither B nor I work with more than 6 people at any given time, and it's just the two of us, but I would be devastated if I brought something into my workplace or house because I wasn't cognizant enough. It may be overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I think you're doing fine just washing your hands well since you're doing online ordering. It's the first time I have enforced everything we did seriously. B rolled his eyes but did comply.

When we do order from somewhere (good Lord it's so expensive!), we put everything on our own dishes and use our own silverware and immediately throw out the containers/bags the food came in. Our dishwasher has a steam sanitize setting, which is arguably my favorite feature about it. I've always used it, but now I'm extra glad we have it.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose I'm considered "higher" risk? I have some breathing issues that are only exacerbated when I exercise, but nothing diagnosed. I've never had an inhaler or had to go to the ER in my post-toddler life because of breathing issues.

I'm just very paranoid. Neither B nor I work with more than 6 people at any given time, and it's just the two of us, but I would be devastated if I brought something into my workplace or house because I wasn't cognizant enough. It may be overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I think you're doing fine just washing your hands well since you're doing online ordering. It's the first time I have enforced everything we did seriously. B rolled his eyes but did comply.

When we do order from somewhere (good Lord it's so expensive!), we put everything on our own dishes and use our own silverware and immediately throw out the containers/bags the food came in. Our dishwasher has a steam sanitize setting, which is arguably my favorite feature about it. I've always used it, but now I'm extra glad we have it.
Ok noted. If we’d be required to go to the office, I’m sure I’d be paranoid as well. But since we’re cooconing just two of us, i think I’m good not being that careful.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Heartfelt *PRAYERS* for your sister.
artiemom artiemom That woman should have been asked to leave, or evicted, long ago. Secondhand smoke is worse, some experts say, than firsthand smoke. I'm surprised that any management corporation would allow smoking in a multi-unit building as it absolutely puts others' health at risk. Stick to your guns. That's unconscionable.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Unpopular opinion: beer is gross. If you have a store than allows you to make your own 6 pack, go do that and get a variety of things that sound good to you. I drink very, very rarely (like maybe one drink every two or three months), but when I do, I usually prefer a hard cider.

Edit: I just realized you were asking about alcohol to sterilize things :paperbag: didn't read far enough down the thread! I still stand by my "beer is gross" comment though, lol!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still stand by my "beer is gross" comment though, lol!
Haha, I concur! Nasty. I also don't like hard liquors, except in certain mixed drinks. I don't drink often but I'll have an "alco-pop" type drink now and then, like a Smirnoff Ice or a Seagram's or whatever. A lot of people say beer and whiskey are acquired tastes but I don't know if I could ever choke enough down to acquire that taste!

A couple of bar/restaurant owners in the area tested positive, and the restaurant was fully open (not just takeout) until just a couple days ago. So probably now everybody in the area has been exposed, because even if they didn't go to the bar, most likely one of their family members did.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unpopular opinion: beer is gross. If you have a store than allows you to make your own 6 pack, go do that and get a variety of things that sound good to you. I drink very, very rarely (like maybe one drink every two or three months), but when I do, I usually prefer a hard cider.

Edit: I just realized you were asking about alcohol to sterilize things :paperbag: didn't read far enough down the thread! I still stand by my "beer is gross" comment though, lol!
Beer is gross. Life is too short to drink stuff that tastes bad in my opinion. I much prefer a cider or a sweet wine like moscato, or a vodka mix. Most sweet things, really.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beer is gross!!! Hate vodka and my stomach can't handle the dark stuff really. I do like ciders that aren't too sugary and mimosas with a little more oj than the usual.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bottle of aloe vera gel for sunburns and tried that and it was really soothing. It doesn't stay as long as lotion but it helps, and I also use lotion mostly.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
put lotion bottles around your house, and in your purse, and apply as often as you can.

I use both bag balm (very thick so you cant touch anything, but works wonders) and gold bond ultimate (has coconut oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter.) my hands were so badly peeling, and they are now much better.

Last edited:

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
put lotion bottles around your house, and in your purse, and apply as often as you can.

I use both bag balm (very thick so you cant touch anything, but works wonders) and gold bond ultimate (has coconut oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter.) my hands were so badly peeling, and they are now much better.
And O'Keeffes Working Hands! I and a colleage developed xray films manually back in the day. Occassionally, the corrosive acidifying fluid permeated gloves or we dunked our hand too low too fast. O'Keeffes kicked in after we exhaused Aquaphor and Bag Balm's therapeutic effect. My cohort's hands still have deep scarred cracks, healed, but they stay soft between surgeries and isolation ward scrubbing.

Attachments

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am ok... I really am, physically ok... Emotionally, well-that is a different story.
I am lazy.. the "not sleeping well" bug has caught me. It is so easy, when you have no place to go, to just laze around all day in you pjs--and eat, watch tv, on computer..

Our update last night: no new cases!!! A total of 20 cases and 7 deaths. Yes, I knew a couple of them. And another friend, in the building, has the virus and is not doing good.

The executive director of the building has gotten it... sigh..He said it was a mild case.. we will see.

I have my windows open every day--for fresh air. I wipe down the door, periodically with Clorox wipes. At my Wellness phone call check, I mentioned that I was concerned about my car, since I have not started or moved it, in a week.

The caller noted it, and will look into seeing if someone would at least take my remote start, to start the car.

Management is trying.

We are ok.. Geoffrey is getting so spoiled.. He wants to play!! This time it will be 3 times today!!! He cries for it!!

I did manage to trim his claws--had to resort to a towel wrapped around him---a slippery worm--Covering his head.

Today, I had to brush him.. He has been having weekly hairballs come up.. I have a precious supply of paper towels and bags, and gloves.. sigh..

We are doing ok.. the days are just mashing together.. On Thursday I swore it was Friday!!

My only issue problem is my neighbor across the hall.. She is a chain smoker. She has everyone convinced that she does not smoke in her apartment. The cigarette smoke invades my entire apartment!! She thinks she has everyone fooled.. She is a bully..

I have been officially complaining about her since August. Now, I am not going to deal with it.. Today, I had to call the emergency number to complain. They keep calling her, and she keeps smoking. She thinks that while having her window open, the smoke does not come out!!! and she just calls their bluff!!! Also tries to cover it up with stinky air freshener!!

I got such an immediate headache and asthmatic this afternoon, I was furious. Now is not the time for having issues..

I tried talking to her, in August. She denied it, said she knows the rules, and started yelling and bullying me.. That is when I decided to officially complain.. She has lived here or 8 years, and has given the staff 'gifts'... so they are hesitant to confront her... Gets me so mad..

Today, I was so furious, that I decided I am going to mention this when they call me for the wellness check. I am going to ask them if they can do anything about this. This is going over the head of the people here, but if they cannot do anything, maybe this will do it.. sigh.....

anyway, my vent for the day...
Saw your posts 2 days ago, and folks messages checking on your status. I want you to have a resource to call for Geoffrey (like Geoffroy's cat ? They are at Conservator's Center Inc in NC. So cute).

If you, also, are transported for hospitalization, The Animal Rescue League of Boston has taken initiative with a network of animal welfare advocates, to ensure he is taken care of or temporarily housed/sheltered with a "foster," until hospitalized patients recover. They state to call (857) 350 - 8730, and they can ensure you have a "lifeline" ready to go, to help you with Geoffrey, in your time of need.

Regarding the smoker. We've dealt with this in community apartments before. Management can broach her from a perspective of she needs to know they understand Her needs, they know Your needs, and now they need Her to Understand Your Needs, and everyone else, just trying to heal and survive, together, sharing a community:

"We know you are stressed, worried, and scared, we know you mitigate stress by smoking. Respiratory compromised residents' lungs cannot tolerate your smoke; you are damaging their lungs. Not only your own lung damage by your persistent habit, you are taking their choice to breathe clean, non-inflammation inducing air, away from them while they, too, are ill, and struggling, and stressed. Your corrosive smoke worsens their symptoms at this time. Not a "mere annoyance," your smoke is harming others. Please, try other stress management techniques, consider nicotine-therapy patches or gum if your healthcare provider approves. Do Not Blow smoke out the windows, Decrease your smoking, Immediately. We are here for you, call if you need a small air filtration unit, to smoke near, while you, too, are coping during this difficult time."

Thinking of you artiemom artiemom My mantra to those ill that I advocate for pre-pandemic and my friends/family infected at this time:

FLUIDS, REST, PROTEIN.

While recovering from COVID19 at home, Hydration, Rest, and Protein are important.

Second to that, if you have the Resources: Nebulization with Bronchodilators (Levalbuterol is easier systemically for your body on repeat use than Albuterol) as often as every 4-6 hours, Hot Steamy liquid to nurse, and Analgesia/Muscle Relaxants for pain.

If you Treat Your Pain, your body's stress lowers, and it can focus on hydration, energy, immunity, healing.

While nauseated, keep in stock Ondansetron aka Zofran, or promethazine aka Phenergan, to take as needed (I love the ODT sublingual tabs, melt, then no worry you'll just regurgitate a partially digested whole tablet).

Then, try to eat 1-2oz portions at a time of protein: soft or hard boilded egg, lean chicken (fat can induce gastritis or colitis when GI empty/acidotic for prolonged period, let me tell ya), Ensure, Glucerna, or other Abbott Nutrition protein sources.

Why is protein important? It's in your cells, driving and "transporting" bodily functions and actions in tissues, including lung (alveolar) tissue, in our snotty mucous flowing, even in tear production. Your alveoli, which are losing proteinated fluid while SARS-CoV-2 "invades and takes over, nuking" your alveoli. As a study of the first SARS outbreak noted: Diffuse alveolar damage in the lung; alveoli are flooded with highly proteinaceous fluid (arrowhead) that stains dark pink.

FLUIDS, REST, PROTEIN.

Take care of yourself. #youmatter #youareimportant #Geoffreycatruined #covid19seniorwarrior #overcomecovid19 #

Attachments