Corona Virus Now Spreading

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom and I drove around for about 2 hours looking for a store that wasn't flooded with people. Not only that but parking lots were littered with gloves and face mask everywhere. It was truly disgusting. The lines stretched for what seemed like several meters.

I don't even want to leave the house to go grocery shopping anymore. Couldn't find cat food though so I'll have to go back out tomorrow morning. There wasn't much options because people bought them out.

At my sister's work place, the workers are also refusing to work because the proper protection isn't being provided in order for the PSW's and nurses to look after the elderly in the long-term care home.
Can you shop online for cat supplies and "people" groceries?
The masks, at least, can be reused by spraying with isopropyl alcohol and put into a sealed food-grade container (like a Rubbermaid or Tupperware container) for 5 min.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you shop online for cat supplies and "people" groceries?
I did that and it took almost two weeks for it to arrive, but now I have enough cat food for at least 6 weeks. I ordered from Chewy and Amazon.

My computer is on the fritz so I'm stuck with this tablet. Best Buy isn't taking in repairs. But thankfully I have this. Haven't done my taxes, but the deadline has been pushed back, and the Post Office has forms.

When this is over, the service and repair people are going to be inundated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t followed this whole thread so, sorry if I missed a similar post about masks. I don’t know how useful these would be but they are simple enough that I think most of us can manage them. Perhaps they’ll keep someone a bit safer. I find social distancing is followed well in some places here and not well in others. Near where I live is now the highest rate per capita now. We were ordered to shelter in place in my area weeks ago but one county over, not so. I am staying home as much as possible but supplies are very short here which forces some extra outings. Being able to have washable and quickly assembled masks may come in handy. Well wishes to all, :redheartpump:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been a sobering day here. Found out someone I know has been hospitalized with the virus and someone else has symptoms and is being tested. Our governor finally issued a stay at home order which triggered a new round of panic buying. It doesn't mean we can't go the store and buy food, people!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything that isn't essential has been shut down for about three weeks here. Ohio did it before neighboring states. The numbers for Ohio are better then neighboring states but they are still going up. Franklin county where I live has a population of 1.3 million and has 503 cases with 5 deaths. Ohio has 3,312 cases with 91 deaths. Every place but Mahoning county has a lower then average death rate, that is probably because of very good health systems in Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati. I saw an interview with the head of the Cleveland Clinic this morning and he said they started getting ready for this on January 1 when they saw what was going on in China. They started stocking up on PPE and getting more ventilators before everyone else started.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the positive side, the FDA just approved a titer test. I think it'll be really helpful to find out who already had it.
New antibody test will identify those who’ve recovered from COVID-19
It's authorized for some situations, but we need a much better one or combination of tests. Not that this test won't be useful, but it's accuracy won't be quite as helpful as it sounds. It took me a while to wrap my head around the statistics, but if you would like to learn, the test is explained here and the general concept is explained here.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend, who works at a grocery store, told me today that she was feeling unwell to the point of having left work after only an hour.
She'd been off work for about 10 days.
I visited with her about a week ago.
Nervous now, more for my hubby than myself since he is susceptible to bronchitis.
Of course, I'm also the one braving the petri dishes... so, it's always on my mind, despite all precautions taken.

Stay home. Be well.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend, who works at a grocery store, told me today that she was feeling unwell to the point of having left work after only an hour.
She'd been off work for about 10 days.
I visited with her about a week ago.
Nervous now, more for my hubby than myself since he is susceptible to bronchitis.
Of course, I'm also the one braving the petri dishes... so, it's always on my mind, despite all precautions taken.

Stay home. Be well.
My thoughts are with you. I hope you will be OK.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We called a local guy who, as of now, is not considered essential so he can't come out
That's weird. Any business that "keeps households running" is considered essential here. So, hot water tanks, furnaces, phone, internet, etc...I know they have new policies and procedures in place and probably won't come out for non emergencies, but they are available. Perhaps calling a major company rather than a local guy would get you better results. The local guy might not have the proper equipment or the proper insurance to be able to continue working in these conditions.
Even our hardware stores are open at this time, many people can do their own repairs but need the proper parts...

This may have changed in the last couple of days though...Our Premier did "shorten" the original list of businesses considered essential...I just haven't looked it up yet.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went shopping yesterday I have seen that families are making this an outing going to the grocery store. St. Louis is going to start enforcing one person per family rule in the store though to get better control of the situation I understand that some people have no choice to take their kids with them but I've seen many people making the stores and Walmart a family outing instead of "shopping" Governor Parsons of Missouri finally quit twiddling his thumbs on the issue and announced that Monday the entire state of Missouri is stay at home. Not just St Louis City and County and St Charles.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wyze cam labs are working hard to meet the demands of this Coronavirus. I'm setting up one of my cams as a webcam with their new firmware) for testing. Wyze is reaching agreements with hospitals and nursing homes to set up these cams so those that are in the rooms alone don't feel so alone. Not sure if I"m making any sense. However knowing me with technology lol

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder, please no political posts in this thread. If you want to discuss politics and the coronavirus please post in the appropriate thread in the IMO forum.

Thanks.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Businesses that are essential are supposed to start limiting the number of people in the store starting Monday in Ohio. The number of people in the store depends on the square footage of the store. Everyone over that number has to wait in a line six feet apart outside. I go early Saturday morning and the last two mornings the store isn't crowded so I don't think I will be waiting outside until someone leaves. It was the same as last Saturday everything is well stocked except the disinfectants, toilet paper and paper towels. I think the toilet paper and paper towels is perpetuating itself. People are in the store see the shelves are bare, the next time they are in a store and they have some toilet paper and/or paper towels they buy it even though they don't need it at the moment. I get the disinfectants.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in la-la land, we've been on lockdown since March 19 and I am getting used to it. Most grocery stores have long lines of people 6 feet apart and they let in a few at a time when some leave. Stocking is catching up and I haven't had to go without any items for the last couple of times I've shopped. I had supplies of paper products and cleaners before lockdown so I haven't had to buy any, and I'm certainly not going to hoard. We get our cat supplies auto-delivered from Petco.com, and no problem with that.
Yes, artiemom artiemom , how are you doing?