Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone talks about millennials and younger folks not adhering to the isolation rules, but not much is said about elderly that just won’t take precautions. I’m a bit frustrated right now so sorry for ranting. My husband’s grandmothers, both over 85yo, are still out on a daily basis. They are highly functional and social given their age and live alone (they refused to move in with my husband’s parents) and I’m guessing they are simply bored out of their mind. None of them use internet so TV and phone is the only entertainment it seems. It’s so difficult to change the habits of an elderly person. They go out to the bakery, boucher’s, to their neighbors etc, I’m guessing more for a company than the necessity. The family calls them daily but obviously it’s not enough. They have help arranged. But They are lonely and bored and because of that, they simply forget about precautions. It’s really difficult and frankly, disheartening, as we make such an organized effort to keep high risk people safe and some of them won’t do the same for themselves.
It's interesting because I just saw a Facebook post that's being shared that is "apparently" quoting an 85 year old man talking about how younger generations are weak because their generation grew up with WWII and things like Polio and Scarlet Fever and still went out and didn't hide. Also that they rallied around their government and didn't criticize their leaders* and why can't we all do that?

*That part made me laugh, only because I just watched a little video on the 1918 flu and how it got so bad worldwide because governments, the US included, kept it from citizens so that people would still go to war.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some of the hospitals in this area no longer allow visitors. By now it may be all hospitals in Columbus. It makes sense. With asymptomatic carriers there is no way to know who has this and who doesn't. The way it is now only people who are seriously ill or injured, not because of the virus but because more and more people are treated as outpatients, they don't need to be exposed to this virus.
thats awful. :sigh: i understand the logic behind it, but if my mom were alive it would have destroyed me not to be by her side. When she was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, she was not alone in the hospital for even a moment. Everyone took turns to be by her side.

Sorry, just made me so sad to think of the virus patients passing away without their loved ones.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting because I just saw a Facebook post that's being shared that is "apparently" quoting an 85 year old man talking about how younger generations are weak because their generation grew up with WWII and things like Polio and Scarlet Fever and still went out and didn't hide. Also that they rallied around their government and didn't criticize their leaders* and why can't we all do that?

*That part made me laugh, only because I just watched a little video on the 1918 flu and how it got so bad worldwide because governments, the US included, kept it from citizens so that people would still go to war.
Yeah, the old guy's missing a lot of details.

I had a friend, who lived to be in her 90s, who got polio while pregnant with her last child, about a year before the vaccine came out. That kid is older than me.

Not everyone was so lucky. Glad they have the vaccines now. Bet they didn't have anti-vaxxers in the day.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 64 the only one I personally remember is Scarlet Fever. It was taken seriously. Schools closed down for a week, that was the incubation period. I grew up on a farm. When I wasn't old enough to be home alone, at least that is what my overprotective parents thought, and they needed to go into town I had to stay in the car with one parent. Thank goodness for the quick swab tests now routinely done to check for strep throat. The strep throat gets treated with an antibiotic and it doesn't go into Scarlet Fever.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD ON YA, susanm9006 susanm9006 and on behalf of everyone you will help with these masks, THANK YOU.
She's a witch She's a witch That's right! The blame game is so stupid in the best of times, and all the more so now. "Clean your own yard!" is a motto for me. Doesn't matter the age, nationality, religion, race, creed or color, social position, whatever -- take care of your OWN personal responsibility and set an example for everyone else, plus, keep yourself safe, because someone, somewhere, would probably miss you if you died. Blunt? Enough???

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the old guy's missing a lot of details.

I had a friend, who lived to be in her 90s, who got polio while pregnant with her last child, about a year before the vaccine came out. That kid is older than me.

Not everyone was so lucky. Glad they have the vaccines now. Bet they didn't have anti-vaxxers in the day.
Well, actually, they did. My family, for some. Not everyone thinks these are helpful based on the facts. Again, the blame game shouldn't be played. Just sayin'.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
denice denice W Willowy

I have a friend who thought her little boy (5ish) had actually contracted coronavirus about a month ago. He was tested for strep twice, flu once, both negative, was given a 10 day course of penicillin. The health department wouldn't test him for COVID (too young/had no known contact with appositive person) so they just toughed it out. They took him to the ER when he began to vomit profusely and...got a rash! Turns out poor kiddo had Scarlet fever.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

I took care of a fair number of post-polio patients who I bet wished people had hidden..

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On the odd occasion I've been in supermarkets recently, I'll be honest and say it seems to be some older people who are not paying any attention to social/physical distances.

I went to get groceries last night for the first time in a week and a chap who was in his 70s pretty much pushed me out of the way to pick up something from a shelf. He then walked down the middle of the aisle and forced other shoppers to get out of the way...

:dunno:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just heard something interesting on the news. It is based on stats out of China so kind of take it with a grain of salt. People with type A were statistically 20% more likely to develop the more severe form of the disease. Type B was average and type O was 25% less likely to get seriously ill with it. If this is true that points to a genetic issue involved with how this progresses.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, actually, they did. My family, for some. Not everyone thinks these are helpful based on the facts. Again, the blame game shouldn't be played. Just sayin'.
Smallpox vaccination isn't helpful??????

I'd be hard put to imagine any facts supporting such a thing.

On the other hand, it's true that flu vaccine isn't always the solution. I do it anyway.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, we have our first reported case in the retirement community where I live—a staff member who has reported mild symptoms. The person (I’ll refer to the person as ‘they’ since I don’t know their gender) hasn’t been at work since March 27, and the administration is trying to determine with whom they were in contact prior to that. I hope they’re going to be all right...and us, too.

An article in our morning paper reported that our county health folks are now FINALLY recommending that people wear masks when they go out. I have two, two-year-old N95s that my husband and I will be wearing to the store from now on. And I’ve set up a “staging” area in our garage to sanitize things we’re bringing into the house if those things need to be refrigerated. If not, they’re going to stay in the garage for awhile until we need them. I’m expecting a delivery from Amazon this afternoon, and it will go straight into the garage and stay there until Monday.

On a lighter note (kind of), my sister-in-law’s hoarding is finally have a positive side. She has a compulsion to buy things on sale. Seriously. It’s a problem. Except now. My brother told me that he counted how many rolls of toilet paper they have, and it’s more than 100. :) He gave some to their mail carrier because she said that she had only one roll left.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah when I asked my mom about her parents, she was upset because her dad was still out shooting pool with his buddies. The man is nearing 90 years old and has numerous health problems.

They cut late night train service here in order to curtail young people from staying out at the bars. It's actually pretty useless if you ask me though, kids who are out late typically stay out until the first train in the morning. You're really just cutting off transport for people who work irregular hours during the week. If they really wanted to help the situation, they would mandate flexible shifts for all commuters and increase the number of cars each train has at peak hours (8am-10am, 5pm-7pm). But the youths, man. Meanwhile the super spreaders have all been ardent churchgoers in their 50s-60s.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3 years from now, there’ll be a paragraph in Wikipedia attributing the sudden drop in religious people around the world to this pandemic

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
denice denice W Willowy

I have a friend who thought her little boy (5ish) had actually contracted coronavirus about a month ago. He was tested for strep twice, flu once, both negative, was given a 10 day course of penicillin. The health department wouldn't test him for COVID (too young/had no known contact with appositive person) so they just toughed it out. They took him to the ER when he began to vomit profusely and...got a rash! Turns out poor kiddo had Scarlet fever.
Amazing. My mom had that. And survived. I thought they'd eradicated it in the US.