Corona Virus Now Spreading

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read a rebuttal from a doctor about that Facebook post, so be careful. Of course, nothing wrong with drinking Gatorade or doing deep-breath exercises, but it said that there's no reason COVID-19 should cause a high fever for more than a day, so if you have a fever longer than that you should go to emergency because you might have sepsis. Other than that it seems pretty harmless.
The fever one was the one I was kind of questioning. Although I agree with letting a low fever work itself out but 3 days...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had multiple abdominal surgeries and each time afterward they gave me this simple little cheap plastic device to use. It had tubes with these little balls in them that I would have to make the balls go to the tops of the tubes to make me take deep breathes. I learned to hate those things. I knew someone that had cracked ribs and he was given one as well. The idea behind them is to prevent pneumonia which is proving to be the killer with this virus.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had multiple abdominal surgeries and each time afterward they gave me this simple little cheap plastic device to use. It had tubes with these little balls in them that I would have to make the balls go to the tops of the tubes to make me take deep breathes. I learned to hate those things. I knew someone that had cracked ribs and he was given one as well. The idea behind them is to prevent pneumonia which is proving to be the killer with this virus.
I hated those things, too. Believe I still have one around. The best way to prevent pneumonia is to sit up, maybe even at night. This keeps the pneumonia from traveling up your lungs. People used to die from pneumonia a lot because at the time, caregivers insisted people stay lying down. When my father was in ICU and not really conscious, they made him get up and sit several times a day.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the problem with using academics to handle an ongoing crisis instead of an actual pandemic response team. Academics are so used to having all the data and summarizing data after the fact that the government is always 2 months behind.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I made one of these today...

It's a face mask with a pocket lining that you can tuck a filter into. It also has a little nose wire sleeve. Pretty cool.
I had some cloth HEPA vacuum bags, so I thought that might be interesting to try. It ended up too small and stiff.
So, I did as recommended and used some old cotton material I had tucked in a box in the closet. I used the man sized pattern for my second try; then I used part of the HEPA mask I'd first made as the filter for the second mask.

I'm thinking they'd be good for when I have to brave the grocery stores. I know, not perfect, but to my mind, better than nothing.
Some folks are making these for first responders and other support personnel.

Unfortunately, I'm a friggin slow seamstress. So I'll probably only make a few for friends. I have a friend who works at a grocery store; dunno if they'll let her wear one at work, but I'll make her one anyway.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The indian government just published step by step instructions on how to make a mask:
1585818814794.png

theres also a version teaching you how to sew by hand.

wish the us government would also start telling people to cover their face and release instructions like this instead of dragging their feet

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a limit to what the U.S. government can 'tell' people to do. Most people in the U.S. do not buy that cloth mask do any good because they do not form a barrier against viruses. The government recommending masks will only create price gouging and hoarding of medical grade masks which is the last thing we need. Ohio just announced that 20% of the cases in this state are health care workers, most of which probably picked it up at work because they don't have full PPE.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theres already hoarding and price gouging anyway. Not asking people to wear masks is not going to get them to healthcare workers anyway. theyre just going to be sold and re-sold.

The us does NOT have a mask shortage. The USA is still exporting masks, with roughly 280 million masks sold in one day: I Spent A Day In The Coronavirus-Driven Feeding Frenzy Of N95 Mask Sellers And Buyers And This Is What I Learned

The government itself was auctioning off respirators in January.

Only hospitals have a shortage and they’ll continue to unless the government does something.

Considering the large supply of masks around the country and how little is being done to get them to health care workers, it doesnt really matter if you sit around and not buy masks. But if people arent encouraged to cover their face, they might get sick and then they will add to whatever doctors and nurses are dealing with right now.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know some of the hospitals in this area no longer allow visitors. By now it may be all hospitals in Columbus. It makes sense. With asymptomatic carriers there is no way to know who has this and who doesn't. The way it is now only people who are seriously ill or injured, not because of the virus but because more and more people are treated as outpatients, they don't need to be exposed to this virus.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on who you listen to re: masks. I've always believed it's logical to wear one, because everyone opening their mouth releases droplets into the air. So if you are sick, this is a more or less effective barrier, depending on the type of mask, to protect others. It is also, by the same principle, a more or less effective barrier between a sick person and you if you are not sick. I will always wear a mask when going out to the grocery store until this pandemic is over. Glasses or sunglasses are more or less effective as well, because the virus can enter through the eyes.

Here are some really nice masks. Some are sold out, but some are in stock.

Cat Fabric Face Masks
Thanks! I found a really cute one. I have to have an aid/ helper to help me with my shower and undressing and dressing. This will be perfect for when I’m getting dressed. I’m going to see if she’ll get a few herself.

I have a very nice washable allergy mask with n95 and even n99 filters but I got mine way before this all started due to severe ana food allergies. There are others like me with compromised immune systems, allergies, cancer, you name it, that may need to wear masks. It’s easy to get angry or judge but that’s on you if you do. It would be great if there wasn’t so much judging.

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, an unnamed six-week-old infant.

Not good news. Sure like to know more about the baby. Like, did he or she have any co-morbidities?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

Confirmed coronavirus infections around the world approached one million Thursday as the pandemic spread at a "near-exponential" rate, with a six-week-old baby becoming one of the youngest known victims.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A six week old baby is very fragile. There have been cases of older children with no underlying issues dying or being critical. Either this is mutating in a bad way or early statistics out of Southeast Asia were not correct.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a guy who's not famous (or even infamous) but who recovered, and is donating his plasma to help others infected.

Andrew Sherman, on air for three days, recovered, age 52.

https://carolynsorganichandmadesoaps...rus-to-others/

Andrew Sherman, a Covid-19 survivor, is finally starting to feel better. One of the first things he did during his recovery: volunteer to donate blood plasma to help seriously ill patients fight the disease.

Mr. Sherman, age 52, spent three days on oxygen in a New York City hospital in mid-March before being released to complete his recovery at home in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, where he lives with his wife, Jodi Sheeler, and their two children: Maisy, 8, and Milo, 11.

“I feel obligated to help now that I am on the other side of it,” Mr. Sherman said.

So do many others. The Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, where Mr. Sherman volunteered to donate plasma, is one of 34 institutions around the country participating in the National Covid-19 Convalescent Plasma Project, which is seeking blood-plasma donations from recovered patients who have a confirmed Covid-positive test and are at least 21 days out from the onset of symptoms.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the information (as of Mar 31) for Ontario, Canada. Which includes the number of cases and in turn the percentages of those affected. This does not include deaths, but just goes to show how we ALL have to be mindful. When you look at these numbers you will see that the ages of the 20 to 59 FAR out weight the cases of the 60 and over. Just because the younger may not be dying in the same numbers as the over 60s, they are the ones who are most likely to spread it.
We've just had three consecutive days of just over 1100 new cases, so our numbers are still on the rise, although they are not growing with the same speed as the hard hit countries.

Summary of cases of COVID-19: Ontario, January 15, 2020 to March 31, 2020

Ages: 19 and under.......55 - 2.3%
Ages: 20-39..................724 - 30.3%
Ages: 40-59..................850 - 35.5%
Ages: 60-79..................608 - 25.4%
Ages: 80 and over........152 - 6.4%
Note: 14 cases did not specify male or female. The age of three cases were unknown. Data Source: integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS) database

These are the numbers for the more serious cases.

Cumulative hospitalization ......270 - 11.3%
Cumulative intensive-care ......91 - 3.8%
Cumulative deaths ..................37 - 1.5%

Again, this is the data as of 4pm on March 31st. We HAVE had more new cases and deaths since then...but I'm not in the mood the do the math. ;) Just wanted to point out that right now, our health care system is doing a great job at keeping up with this. :thumbsup: It shows in the (lack of) numbers of deaths (compared to other countries). And if we just keep up with self isolation, our system will continue to be able to keep up. Canadians (overall) seem to be doing their part, and taking this seriously, and again, it shows in our numbers. :clap2: We are climbing, but at a much slower rate than other countries have seen/are seeing.

Keep it up Canada!!!!:cheerleader:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the information (as of Mar 31) for Ontario, Canada. Which includes the number of cases and in turn the percentages of those affected. This does not include deaths, but just goes to show how we ALL have to be mindful. When you look at these numbers you will see that the ages of the 20 to 59 FAR out weight the cases of the 60 and over. Just because the younger may not be dying in the same numbers as the over 60s, they are the ones who are most likely to spread it.
We've just had three consecutive days of just over 1100 new cases, so our numbers are still on the rise, although they are not growing with the same speed as the hard hit countries.

Summary of cases of COVID-19: Ontario, January 15, 2020 to March 31, 2020

Ages: 19 and under.......55 - 2.3%
Ages: 20-39..................724 - 30.3%
Ages: 40-59..................850 - 35.5%
Ages: 60-79..................608 - 25.4%
Ages: 80 and over........152 - 6.4%
Note: 14 cases did not specify male or female. The age of three cases were unknown. Data Source: integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS) database

These are the numbers for the more serious cases.

Cumulative hospitalization ......270 - 11.3%
Cumulative intensive-care ......91 - 3.8%
Cumulative deaths ..................37 - 1.5%

Again, this is the data as of 4pm on March 31st. We HAVE had more new cases and deaths since then...but I'm not in the mood the do the math. ;) Just wanted to point out that right now, our health care system is doing a great job at keeping up with this. :thumbsup: It shows in the (lack of) numbers of deaths (compared to other countries). And if we just keep up with self isolation, our system will continue to be able to keep up. Canadians (overall) seem to be doing their part, and taking this seriously, and again, it shows in our numbers. :clap2: We are climbing, but at a much slower rate than other countries have seen/are seeing.

Keep it up Canada!!!!:cheerleader:
I suspect it also helps that you have generally available health care without the “wallet triage” as well as either non-existent or very much reduced rates of homelessness and economic marginalization like here in the U.S.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There have probably been several 'things' like this in human history... . Bubonic Plague (Eyam - Wikipedia). Ebola. Spanish Flu. This is another thing to be survived.
Out of curiosity, has anyone read the book The Hot Zone? Jerry Jaax got the office I work in up and running and retired right before I was hired. My boss took his place and she's a huge fan of both him and Nancy so had me read that book. Ebola is horrifying. This is horrifying too but man, Ebola is bad. Thankfully it isn't as contagious and the incubation period is much shorter so it was easy to contain when it came to the US.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of those when I had my stomach surgery in February. I hated it. I could not drink any water for 7/8 days and that just made it worse because it dried out my throat.

I just found out that someone has gotten Covid-19 in the rehab place I was at 3 weeks ago. I hope none of the nurses has gotten it because they were all really nice people.