Corona Virus Now Spreading

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet Supplies Plus will do the same thing, but there's no guarantee that they will have everything you need.
There's no guarantee any merchant will have all we need in these times, especially, but thanks for posting that, DreamerRose DreamerRose . Petco and Chewy (not sure about others) have auto-delivery of repeat-delivery items. We have this, and have used it since our favorite business, Drs. Foster & Smith, was closed down by Petco, which had bought it several years prior. It's convenient, and we get a discount every time. So much better than having to go to a bricks and mortal store!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know my auto delivery for Alice's prescription food is running way behind. I had gotten an order on February 28 and it is supposed to be every three weeks. I finally got it yesterday. I had some prescription food here that she would only pick at when I was looking for a prescription food that she would eat. I tried it and now she will eat it. It expires on 6/20 of this year and I have quite a bit left. I am going to continue with it until it is gone, that will give us some cushion. I order it from the same place that supplies my vet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New York is running low on medications now. Specifically the medications used to put people in a medically induced coma to intubate them. They are running out of the disposable blades that they use for intubation and the inhalers that they use for patients that aren't at the point of needing a ventilator. Of course there is the ongoing shortage of PPE.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someone posted this on facebook, sharing. Reminder, I am not a doctor so always follow your own doctors advice or local health agencies as this thing is ever changing.

CORONA Common Sense

Since they are calling on Respiratory therapist to help fight the Corona virus, and I am a retired one, too old to work in a hospital setting. I'm gonna share some common sense wisdom with those that have the virus and trying to stay home. If my advice is followed as given you will improve your chances of not ending up in the hospital on a ventilator. This applies to the otherwise generally healthy population, so use discretion.

1. Only high temperatures kill a virus, so let your fever run high. Tylenol, Advil. Motrin, Ibuprofen etc. will bring your fever down allowing the virus to live longer. They are saying that ibuprophen, advil etc will actually exacerbate the virus. Use common sense and don't let fever go over 103 or 104 if you got the guts. If it gets higher than that take your tylenol, not ibuprophen or advil to keep it regulated. It helps to keep house warm and cover up with blankets so body does not have to work so hard to generate the heat. It usually takes about 3 days of this to break the fever.
2. The body is going to dehydrate with the elevated temperature so you must rehydrate yourself regulaly, whether you like it or not. Gatorade with real sugar, or pedialyte with real sugar for kids, works well. Why the sugar? Sugar will give your body back the energy it is using up to create the fever. The electrolytes and fluid you are losing will also be replenished by the Gatorade. If you don't do this and end up in the hospital they will start an IV and give you D5W (sugar water) and Normal Saline to replenish electrolytes. Gatorade is much cheaper, pain free, and comes in an assortment of flavors
3. You must keep your lungs moist. Best done by taking long steamy showers on a regular basis, if your wheezing or congested use a real minty toothpaste and brush your teeth while taking the steamy shower and deep breath through your mouth. This will provide some bronchial dialation and help loosen the phlegm. Force your self to cough into a wet wash cloth pressed firmly over your mouth and nose, which will cause greater pressure in your lungs forcing them to expand more and break loose more of the congestion.
4. Eat healthy and regularly. Gotta keep your strength up.
5. Once the fever breaks, start moving around to get the body back in shape and blood circulating.
6. Deep breath on a regular basis, even when it hurts. If you don't it becomes easy to develope pneumonia. Pursed lip breathing really helps. That's breathing in deep and slow then exhaling through tight lips as if your blowing out a candle, blow until you have completely emptied your lungs and you will be able to breath in an even deeper breath. This helps keep lungs expanded as well as increase your oxygen level.
7. Remember that every medication you take is merely relieving the symptoms, not making you well.
8. If your still dying go to ER.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone posted this on facebook, sharing. Reminder, I am not a doctor so always follow your own doctors advice or local health agencies as this thing is ever changing.

CORONA Common Sense

Since they are calling on Respiratory therapist to help fight the Corona virus, and I am a retired one, too old to work in a hospital setting. I'm gonna share some common sense wisdom with those that have the virus and trying to stay home. If my advice is followed as given you will improve your chances of not ending up in the hospital on a ventilator. This applies to the otherwise generally healthy population, so use discretion.

1. Only high temperatures kill a virus, so let your fever run high. Tylenol, Advil. Motrin, Ibuprofen etc. will bring your fever down allowing the virus to live longer. They are saying that ibuprophen, advil etc will actually exacerbate the virus. Use common sense and don't let fever go over 103 or 104 if you got the guts. If it gets higher than that take your tylenol, not ibuprophen or advil to keep it regulated. It helps to keep house warm and cover up with blankets so body does not have to work so hard to generate the heat. It usually takes about 3 days of this to break the fever.
2. The body is going to dehydrate with the elevated temperature so you must rehydrate yourself regulaly, whether you like it or not. Gatorade with real sugar, or pedialyte with real sugar for kids, works well. Why the sugar? Sugar will give your body back the energy it is using up to create the fever. The electrolytes and fluid you are losing will also be replenished by the Gatorade. If you don't do this and end up in the hospital they will start an IV and give you D5W (sugar water) and Normal Saline to replenish electrolytes. Gatorade is much cheaper, pain free, and comes in an assortment of flavors
3. You must keep your lungs moist. Best done by taking long steamy showers on a regular basis, if your wheezing or congested use a real minty toothpaste and brush your teeth while taking the steamy shower and deep breath through your mouth. This will provide some bronchial dialation and help loosen the phlegm. Force your self to cough into a wet wash cloth pressed firmly over your mouth and nose, which will cause greater pressure in your lungs forcing them to expand more and break loose more of the congestion.
5. Once the fever breaks, start moving around to get the body back in shape and blood circulating.
6. Deep breath on a regular basis, even when it hurts. If you don't it becomes easy to develope pneumonia. Pursed lip breathing really helps. That's breathing in deep and slow then exhaling through tight lips as if your blowing out a candle, blow until you have completely emptied your lungs and you will be able to breath in an even deeper breath. This helps keep lungs expanded as well as increase your oxygen level.
7. Remember that every medication you take is merely relieving the symptoms, not making you well.
THANK YOU, Kieka Kieka ! I hope you will share this on all of your socials and to friends/relatives/co-workers via email or other. And thanks to the OP. These are things most people do not know and would not think of. Some are even counter-intuitive to some of us. They may well save lives. We are in your debt and the OP's.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my auto delivery for Alice's prescription food is running way behind. I had gotten an order on February 28 and it is supposed to be every three weeks. I finally got it yesterday. I had some prescription food here that she would only pick at when I was looking for a prescription food that she would eat. I tried it and now she will eat it. It expires on 6/20 of this year and I have quite a bit left. I am going to continue with it until it is gone, that will give us some cushion. I order it from the same place that supplies my vet.
Hoping her appetite perks up and she'll eat what you have until your shipments arrive. My auto-delivery repeat shipments are always heavy, because I like to have stock on hand at all times. I just added another litter to our repeat shipments. One additional isn't hoarding, and it's good to have enough. I keep close tabs on our inventory of food.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
POSSIBLE SPOILERS if you have not read the book....

So out of curiosity, I've been rereading the relevant bits of 'The Eyes of Darkness' by Dean R Koontz, which tons of people are saying predicted the virus. It's, what, number 2 on top Amazon sales list now?

My copy is a print done in 1991 I think. Unless he pretty much rewrote it, the virus described is nothing whatsoever like Covid-19?? symptoms described are not even remotely like it at all. He does not at any point mention any years when the virus might 'strike'. The virus in the book is Russian and called Gorki-400. No mention at all of Wuhan or China. I have taken (slightly blurred, sorry!) of the only two pages in the whole book where the disease is talked about by name. Rather than all the spooky stuff the kid does and / or the love interest...

Was it basically a rewrite it from its first publication under the pen name of Leigh Nichols...

PS I have been trying to delete the second picture as I was going to crop it but this new, and totally and completely abysmal, way of attaching pictures will not let me do so!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
POSSIBLE SPOILERS if you have not read the book....

So out of curiosity, I've been rereading the relevant bits of 'The Eyes of Darkness' by Dean R Koontz, which tons of people are saying predicted the virus. It's, what, number 2 on top Amazon sales list now?

My copy is a print done in 1991 I think. Unless he pretty much rewrote it, the virus described is nothing whatsoever like Covid-19: symptoms described are not even remotely like it at all. He does not at any point mention any years whentthe virus might 'strike'. The virus in the book is Russian and called Gorki-400. No mention at all of Wuhan or China. I have taken (slightly blurred, sorry!) of the only two pages in the whole book where the disease is talked about by name. Rather than all the spooky stuff the kid does and / or the love interest...

Was it basically rewrite it from its first publication under the pen name of Leigh Nichols...
People deal with these things ("these things"? There has never been another "thing" like this in human history, as far as we know!) differently. Some take refuge in comedy. Others, in work. And still others look at science fiction, disaster, horror, thriller, or similar content. Even the Prophets did not predict this exactly. But parables and such are cautionary for us. Maybe we can learn something from each of them. There are usually truths in these tales.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There have probably been several 'things' like this in human history... . Bubonic Plague (Eyam - Wikipedia). Ebola. Spanish Flu. This is another thing to be survived.

The main difference I think now in our current lives is that we have constant and unending media coverage of every, single, thing - all the time.... We have social media. We have forums.

Sometimes I think we have too much information thrown at us 24/7 and at the same time too much misinformation from different sources (including the media...) :(

Last edited:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
duno if its available in korea, but philips here makes an electric n95 mask thats really comfortable to wear. Electric masks are rechargeable and have a motor pushing the air into the mask, so it doesnt feel swampy.
The philips one is one of the higher end electric n95s. It has inserts that you change regularly and the outer cover is washable.
thanks for the suggestion. If this continues, I'll feel less self-conscious about what I expect is a little whirring noise when I wear it...I haven't seen many people wearing anything heavier duty than the regular pollution masks. Although I think more people are switching over to cloth masks. There's been quite a market for designer ones such as the ones these guards at the biggest palace are wearing (image from last month I think):
1585784935432.png

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And a touching but heartbreaking story from Belgium:
That made me tear. And also is scary because they don't know how she managed to catch it since she was isolating. Will be haunted by that thought for a while. I sanitize whatever comes into the home, but just tonight my parents wanted takeout. I sanitized containers with gloves, washed, and then carefully plated everything for them and my mother reheated the hot foods but now I'm wondering if I should halt their dinner....

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

CORONA Common Sense

Thank You!! This is very valuable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a rebuttal from a doctor about that Facebook post, so be careful. Of course, nothing wrong with drinking Gatorade or doing deep-breath exercises, but it said that there's no reason COVID-19 should cause a high fever for more than a day, so if you have a fever longer than that you should go to emergency because you might have sepsis. Other than that it seems pretty harmless.