Corona Virus Now Spreading

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's looking like schools will postpone again. I'm not sure how much my academy is charging families for our current online classes, but I know the classes are not as full as they would've been in-person. We are also missing a large portion of our A.M kids (p and k level) and those are our real moneymakers. I continue to worry about how long this can go on. For us, it's not a matter of applying for unemployment. Getting laid off means immediately losing housing and visa. It is possible to switch to a job-seeking visa, but that comes without insurance (which you are legally required to pay for), and without housing support. It's next to impossible to afford housing in Seoul on your own because most places require huge ($10,000+) deposits on top of monthly rent.

One of our teachers left without telling anyone (not even her closest friends). Her parents bought her a plane ticket and she skipped the country on a Friday night. I mean, I guess that's one less salary to pay, but wow. That kind of really spooked the new teachers who only just arrived right before the virus closed schools. I'm reasonably settled here and have local friends, so should the worst happen, I could probably weather it out ok, but I guess I can understand why others who feel alone in a strange country would run away when they got the chance.

Ceracera Ceracera have you had anyone pull a "midnight run" there? Or do they call it something different in China? I imagine plenty of folks would've gotten out when it first started. We were between semesters at the time, so anyone who wanted to leave did so long before now. To be honest, most ex-pats now feel safer here than they would back home.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ceracera Ceracera have you had anyone pull a "midnight run" there? Or do they call it something different in China? I imagine plenty of folks would've gotten out when it first started. We were between semesters at the time, so anyone who wanted to leave did so long before now. To be honest, most ex-pats now feel safer here than they would back home.
I havent heard of anyone doing a midnight run here. Wouldn't be surprised if it does happen, but the income level and logistics of suddenly moving make it hard for people to just pack up and leave. Plus most teachers do like it here. It really is a low-stress and decent income job as long as you dont let the cultural differences get to you.

We were originally told schools would open some time in Feb, after the holiday extension. That got pushed to March, then to April. I hear the new tentative date is some time in June, but people are not optimistic.

People who were already doing online classes before this are reporting booming business. It's only the schools who catered to the offline market who have fewer students cause they're having trouble adapting.

I know some of the people who left back in Feb are regretting it. Most of the people I know who stayed have family here or have lived here for 8+ years, so it was difficult to just leave.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what I will do if I run out of paper towels. Mingo threw up today, and I had to use several of my precious paper towels to clean up the mess. I guess I could go to cloth napkins if I have to.

I won't go out again unless it's a matter of life or death, which it is anyway.
I know what you mean. This morning I spilled some of my precious bottled water on the kitchen floor and then the Cream of Wheat overflowed in the microwave. It took about 10 of my precious paper towels to clean the up the mess. I have about 15 rolls of Bounty but I will go through them so fast.
My sister went to the store for me yesterday but when she got back she was kind of snotty. If her and my b/l stop going to the store me I don't know what I will do. I could have them delivered but I understand that gets expensive and they don't always have what you want.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. This morning I spilled some of my precious bottled water on the kitchen floor and then the Cream of Wheat overflowed in the microwave. It took about 10 of my precious paper towels to clean the up the mess. I have about 15 rolls of Bounty but I will go through them so fast.
My sister went to the store for me yesterday but when she got back she was kind of snotty. If her and my b/l stop going to the store me I don't know what I will do. I could have them delivered but I understand that gets expensive and they don't always have what you want.
Go through your linens and see if you have any older towels, pillow cases or sheets that can be cut up and used for clean up rags. I have always used them for washing floors, cleaning up spills etc. I have a special hamper for rags and floor towels and when it’s full or I run out then I throw them In the washer.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's looking like schools will postpone again. I'm not sure how much my academy is charging families for our current online classes, but I know the classes are not as full as they would've been in-person. We are also missing a large portion of our A.M kids (p and k level) and those are our real moneymakers. I continue to worry about how long this can go on. For us, it's not a matter of applying for unemployment. Getting laid off means immediately losing housing and visa. It is possible to switch to a job-seeking visa, but that comes without insurance (which you are legally required to pay for), and without housing support. It's next to impossible to afford housing in Seoul on your own because most places require huge ($10,000+) deposits on top of monthly rent.

One of our teachers left without telling anyone (not even her closest friends). Her parents bought her a plane ticket and she skipped the country on a Friday night. I mean, I guess that's one less salary to pay, but wow. That kind of really spooked the new teachers who only just arrived right before the virus closed schools. I'm reasonably settled here and have local friends, so should the worst happen, I could probably weather it out ok, but I guess I can understand why others who feel alone in a strange country would run away when they got the chance.

Thanks so much for sharing! Hope you're okay.

I'm so grateful for reports from the front lines by people who are not reporters.

Please keep the reports coming.

I havent heard of anyone doing a midnight run here. Wouldn't be surprised if it does happen, but the income level and logistics of suddenly moving make it hard for people to just pack up and leave. Plus most teachers do like it here. It really is a low-stress and decent income job as long as you dont let the cultural differences get to you.

We were originally told schools would open some time in Feb, after the holiday extension. That got pushed to March, then to April. I hear the new tentative date is some time in June, but people are not optimistic.

People who were already doing online classes before this are reporting booming business. It's only the schools who catered to the offline market who have fewer students cause they're having trouble adapting.

I know some of the people who left back in Feb are regretting it. Most of the people I know who stayed have family here or have lived here for 8+ years, so it was difficult to just leave.
Thanks for sharing, and hope you're okay.

Your reports from the front lines are invaluable.

Girding self.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to do a Target trip this morning for cling wrap and trash bags. I am getting very annoyed with myself because while I thought I stocked up well, I keep finding things like these two that I use nearly daily and am running out of. Anyway, I went very early and the store was pretty empty. No more than one or two people in an aisle, decent selection of everything including toilet paper (didn’t need it), just a little barer shelves than usual and no wipes. Anyway, picked up a few backup groceries while I was there.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I basically live in a nice elder center. Most of the tenants at my apartment are older people. I love living here btw. But I wonder how they're all doing right now. Hope they're okay.

I rebooked my Los Angeles flight to September. Gosh I hope I don't end up rescheduling yet again. But we'll see.
Welcome to California, if a bit prematurely! :catrub:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go through your linens and see if you have any older towels, pillow cases or sheets that can be cut up and used for clean up rags. I have always used them for washing floors, cleaning up spills etc. I have a special hamper for rags and floor towels and when it’s full or I run out then I throw them In the washer.
Thanks for the info. I have plenty of old towels I can use as rags. I am always spilling something.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom - Lots of hugs to you. This is so difficult to go through, and you have it bad.

I get anxious myself. So many items I can't get in grocery stores or online. I spent most of today figuring out substitutes for things - kleenex for toilet paper, bath soap for hand soap, paper towels for napkins. I don't know what I will do if I run out of paper towels. Mingo threw up today, and I had to use several of my precious paper towels to clean up the mess. I guess I could go to cloth napkins if I have to.

It's taken several days to get in enough cat food for a few weeks. Mingo is allergic to fish and gets crystals if he isn't fed wet food. I found one box of FF at a local grocery and ordered online from Chewy and Amazon. The Chewy order won't come in for weeks, but Amazon is coming sooner than expected. That's at least one relief.

I won't go out again unless it's a matter of life or death, which it is anyway.
There are "bar towels" or "cleanup cloths" that are cotton or terry cloth that I have bought for rags- I got a huge package at Home Depot when I was doing stuff in my basement.
I've also seen them at grocery stores, target- and probably they could be ordered online of people aren't hoarding them too!
Then they go in the wash to be reused.
I don't like microfiber ones, they don't seem to absorb.
If you can do an online order, or are in a store.

Like these:

Amazon.com: Simpli-Magic 79171 Terry Towel Cleaning Cloths, Pack of 50: Automotive

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're out of paper towels, you can also do as I did; use old sweatsocks that you don't wear any more. Or other absorbent garments, including "tighty whitey" undies. They'll take hard washing cycles, and if the elastic's trashed, you don't care.

Hope this helps someone.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are "bar towels" or "cleanup cloths" that are cotton or terry cloth that I have bought for rags- I got a huge package at Home Depot when I was doing stuff in my basement.
I've also seen them at grocery stores, target- and probably they could be ordered online of people aren't hoarding them too!
Then they go in the wash to be reused.
I don't like microfiber ones, they don't seem to absorb.
If you can do an online order, or are in a store.

Like these:

Amazon.com: Simpli-Magic 79171 Terry Towel Cleaning Cloths, Pack of 50: Automotive
I do use old bath towels for rags, and I can use dish towels for lighter use because I have a lot of those. It's occurred to me that we will have to go back to doing things the old way - with cloth everything. Thanks for the link. I may buy some of those.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's ok to post this as it's work issues caused by the virus. There's a rumor going around that Miami Dade college may stop paying people after April 1st if they werent approved to work remotely.

For example secretaries (like me) were never meant to work from home. Anyone know if this is possible?
Assuming this isn't just some April fools joke that someone who doesn't get how they work let out early.....

No they can't just stop paying you as that would be illegal and would cause them no end of trouble, but they could do layoffs.That's not all bad though, as Keika pointed out you'd be able to collect unemployment and unless you were terrible at your job you'll probably have the option to be re-hired when they open up again.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're out of paper towels, you can also do as I did; use old sweatsocks that you don't wear any more. Or other absorbent garments, including "tighty whitey" undies. They'll take hard washing cycles, and if the elastic's trashed, you don't care.

Hope this helps someone.
I remember my mom using my dad's old underwear (the cotton tighy whiteys) as rags growing up! We would laugh.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my mom using my dad's old underwear (the cotton tighy whiteys) as rags growing up! We would laugh.
You can actually buy bags of torn up white t shirts to use as rags. I bought some last year when I was refinishing a table and loved working with them because they are low lint.