Corona Virus Now Spreading

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone actually had that moment of realization yet about the fact that our entire planet is affected by this?
I have been following and staying current on all the details of the virus, government addresses, MOH guidlines, taking inventory of my home so I don't have the leave the house as much and trying to take care of unemployment stuff so we are ok financially. I've been staying in contact with my family, and we are all trying to take care of each other "from afar". I've been actually at peace about this impromptu "stay-cation" and am accomplishing so much around the house, my mental health is quite content at the moment. I know what's going on with all of this, but it was just the other day, that I was sitting looking out the window, when I got this overwhelming weighted feeling, that I think it finally "sunk in"....like holy poop, the whole planet is in "lockdown". Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all "Oh no! doomsday...the world is ending....it's just the magnitude of this whole thing finally "hit me", even though I've been up to date with everything, I guess I hadn't processed it all. You just do what you gotta do and keep moving forward...but it was still an odd "woosh" of "holy crap!"
A few months ago I read a really interesting fiction book about a post-apocalyptic world after a pandemic (Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, which I really recommend, but probably not the best book to read right now unless you're the kind of person who's enjoying watching the movie Outbreak right now too). It was really eerie how the scenes in the book around when the fictional pandemic was starting were so incredibly similar to what was actually happening in real life. I felt like I was living in a fictional reality for a week there.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still don't have my kitty's prescription food. It is showing filling order since March 25 and the charge is pending on my credit card. My last order was Feb 28 and it is supposed to be every three weeks. I gave her the last can of the one that I order because she really likes it just now. I still have some that I tried when she first went on prescription food, I checked the expiration date and it is still good. She doesn't like it nearly as well but hopefully she will tolerate it until the order comes.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still don't have my kitty's prescription food. It is showing filling order since March 25 and the charge is pending on my credit card. My last order was Feb 28 and it is supposed to be every three weeks. I gave her the last can of the one that I order because she really likes it just now. I still have some that I tried when she first went on prescription food, I checked the expiration date and it is still good. She doesn't like it nearly as well but hopefully she will tolerate it until the order comes.
is there any other way to get this food? would a vet have it? perhaps you can call around. Thats been one of my worries from the beginning, not being able to get food for my cats.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get it from your vet? My vet is still selling their prescription food.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt Hancock, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, also has COVID-19:
Coronavirus strikes heart of Government as PM and health secretary test positive
Didn't realise Matt Hancock also positive...

Interesting...

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
The last time my mom took Sunnie to the vet, she had a vet tech come to her car, bring him in for the bloodwork, and bring him back out when done. She forgot to give him his relaxing medicine, and when they took vitals Sunnie's heart rate was pretty high. They told my mom to come back in a couple weeks, and she will need to come into the office. Grrrrr.... I keep telling her Do Not Go In!! Tell them you are staying in the car!!!
Wow I am surprised!

Our vet wouldn't let us get OUT of the car for anything.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and also popping the food in the microwave helps. This is the strategy my family heard and has been using.
I've read that for takeout, wash hands then put the food on your own plates/bowls, wash your hands again then enjoy with your own utensils!
I washed my hands but will not use my own utensils. I am partially disabled and that is just too much work. Yes, I know, I am lazy.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can order all the take-out you want once this is over.

Keep in mind no one knows much about this virus. Whatever anyone says is a guess at or based on limited data coming from italy and china at this point. And those "experts" who are now saying food is safe are also the same people who said this was just a cold a month ago. They're the same people who told you not to worry and that all you had to do was wash your hands.

These are experts who are just reacting to concrete data, at a time when data is being gathered in real-time. They're too used to analying bar charts during aftermaths instead of advising people what to do during a pandemic. They're not going to tell you take-out isn't safe until someone dies from it. Don't become the statistic they use to advise everyone else.

I also heard last night that it's the british PM and his ministers have it. As much as I'm tempted to comment on how he's doing his part in herd immunity, I hope he's OK. Imagine the social chaos that's going to ensue with this spreading unchecked while members of government are dying one by one.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So, when we moved to this town 21 years ago, we moved into an apartment building. Across from us were some really friendly folks, who I ended up meeting because their un-neutered male cat was coming over and spraying all over my patio! We got it all sorted out, and have remained friends ever since.

Well, this friend called me yesterday to catch up, make sure we were staying healthy, etc.,. She works as security at their local Wal-Mart, and she was amazed at some of the behavior... BUT she did say that most people were actually very appreciative of the risk factor for the grocery workers.

Then she began to tell me about how her son is doing up in Seattle (I remember when they were just little teenagers, lol). Her son drives for Fed Ex, and he has a long time girlfriend and child. His girlfriend has Lupis, which makes her immunocompromised. Apparently, he had to put up a stink with management because he was not getting gloves, masks, or sanitizer... The older white men (and some of the younger) were getting them, but the black, hispanic, and asian drivers were getting left in the cold. There came a point where my friends son had to make a delivery to one of the nursing homes, and the staff came out all geared up in suits. He freaked out, and told his boss he was not, under any circumstances, getting out of the truck. He basically said, "Fire me, or give us what we need to protect ourselves while we are on your time clock." Apparently, it worked. Sad that it came to that point, though.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I washed my hands but will not use my own utensils. I am partially disabled and that is just too much work. Yes, I know, I am lazy.
Well no not lazy at all; have to adapt to what you can do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the mail carriers in larger offices are saying they aren't getting any personal protection equipment. The problem is, nobody had this stuff lying around beforehand, and the supply catalogs are out of stock like everyone else. Management is desperately trying to locate some now, trying to avoid a union settlement. They probably will end up with a settlement anyway.

Some yahoo on Facebook (my conspiracy theory cousin, lol) is saying the virus dies at 80 degrees. Which can't be true at all because your body is 98 degrees (plus viruses aren't alive so they can't die, but that's kind of a matter of semantics). Where do they get this nonsense? I can't even find it on google so it must be deep in the stupid conspiracy sites he likes.

I did see that it's deactivated by temps of 130 degrees for 15 minutes, but that's not too helpful because 30 seconds at 130 degrees will give you third-degree burns.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:
These are trying times and negativity breeds negativity.
Let's try to keep this thread helpful; a positive way to support each other, especially since we are housebound.

:grouphug:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then she began to tell me about how her son is doing up in Seattle (I remember when they were just little teenagers, lol). Her son drives for Fed Ex, and he has a long time girlfriend and child. His girlfriend has Lupis, which makes her immunocompromised. Apparently, he had to put up a stink with management because he was not getting gloves, masks, or sanitizer... The older white men (and some of the younger) were getting them, but the black, hispanic, and asian drivers were getting left in the cold. There came a point where my friends son had to make a delivery to one of the nursing homes, and the staff came out all geared up in suits. He freaked out, and told his boss he was not, under any circumstances, getting out of the truck. He basically said, "Fire me, or give us what we need to protect ourselves while we are on your time clock." Apparently, it worked. Sad that it came to that point, though.
Yeah the mail carriers in larger offices are saying they aren't getting any personal protection equipment. The problem is, nobody had this stuff lying around beforehand, and the supply catalogs are out of stock like everyone else. Management is desperately trying to locate some now, trying to avoid a union settlement. They probably will end up with a settlement anyway.

A facebook friend I went to grade school with both work in construction in another state (I don't remember which), and they don't have any supplies like hand sanitizer, soap, or TP. I saw her posting about it and wondering if companies that had shut down couldn't donate their supplies. I know when I was at school which has been locked up, there were a ton of paper towels, and at least some sanitizer, and probably more toilet paper in storage than the one I took left out in the office bathroom. It would be nice if non essential businesses could donate to essential ones.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Time for Nervous Nelly me to worry again, LOL! DH's father is dying from a brain tumor, and may only have two months to live. DH is going up there tomorrow, and possibly every Sunday (that's one of his days off) to visit. I can't ask him not to, but now I worry about him bringing it home (his job is a daily worry for me, as he's in close contact 12-14 hours a day with people signing forms, watching/helping him unload, etc.) My workplace has is closed from March 13-April 13, and I'm not going anywhere, so at least we don't have to worry about that.