terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats so odd. shes young and doesnt have underlining health issues. could it be the hospital didnt have enough resources to care for her?
Unless there was an unknown underlying health issue. Like those high school athletes that collapse during practice because no one realized there was heart murmur or something.

I also wonder if she smoked or vaped. It didn't say, but I feel like those aren't the best combo with a respiratory virus.

Regardless, it's tragic. I feel like I'd barely lived at 21, and there's so much she'll never get to do now. :(

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To just reiterate, apparently health officials haven't either confirmed the death or the potential cause.

But equally saying there were no underlying issues is not necessarily the case, as Lari says. You just sometimes don't know :(

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
The US is about 500 cases away from having the second most cases. Yes, meaning we'll be surpassing Italy.

Another 750 after that and we'll surpass China.

ETA: We have surpassed China and now have the most cases out of any other country in the world.

Last edited:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless I'm missing something (though I couldn't find anything to confirm that I am) but my coworkers are really misinformed. They seem to think the lockdown will happen April 1st and now we all have letters stating why we are out of the house in case we get pulled out and they are freaking out.

The "lockdown" happened Tuesday.... and it was a simple stay at home order. Also there hasn't been a single cop car or military vehicle anywhere yet. So idk where this April 1st freak out is coming from, unless, like I said, I'm missing something. But it sounds like they just didn't watch the governor's announcement.

Who knows. But if anyone else here lives in Michigan and heard something, let me know.

Anyway the hospital I work at has been pretty dead this whole week. Today is the busiest we've had and we only got five people here. The roads also have been pretty vacant. It's quite odd driving down a mostly empty road, but I personally love it. I hate driving on busy roads lol

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:(

Minor rant... Sorry...

In most places the focus is purely on the health services in respect of the response to this. Certainly in the UK, it's on the NHS. I appreciate that health care workers are absolutely on the front line and are at risk, they are certainly putting themselves on the line.

I've worked for both the NHS and local government.

But sometimes it would be nice if people realised that the NHS is not the only organisation responding to this. :(

I work for a local authority (County Council) and we are running absolutely flat out also. We might as well be invisible... No we're not on the front line, I accept that.

But... We have a huge, huge role to play with regards to the community: social care: economy and recovery: trying to keep people healthy and safe, mentally and physically, throughout the lock down etc.

We'll be responsible for for looking after 1.5 million people overall in the UK who are deemed vulnerable, who may have no support network in place to get their basic needs met, such as food and who may be extremely isolated. They may be older people at risk, they may have health issues which mean they are high risk.

Yet councils are among the most likely to be ripped apart by people.

Sometimes it would be nice for us not to be invisible, you know?

:( :(

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless I'm missing something (though I couldn't find anything to confirm that I am) but my coworkers are really misinformed. They seem to think the lockdown will happen April 1st and now we all have letters stating why we are out of the house in case we get pulled out and they are freaking out.

The "lockdown" happened Tuesday.... and it was a simple stay at home order. Also there hasn't been a single cop car or military vehicle anywhere yet. So idk where this April 1st freak out is coming from, unless, like I said, I'm missing something. But it sounds like they just didn't watch the governor's announcement.

Who knows. But if anyone else here lives in Michigan and heard something, let me know.

Anyway the hospital I work at has been pretty dead this whole week. Today is the busiest we've had and we only got five people here. The roads also have been pretty vacant. It's quite odd driving down a mostly empty road, but I personally love it. I hate driving on busy roads lol
Yeah, I'm in Michigan, and the stay at home order definitely went into effect on Tuesday. It seems like our county is still figuring out how to enforce it though, so I guess it's up to the city/county level to make that happen. I haven't heard anything about April 1st here. Local non-essential businesses should be shut down now, although I haven't tried to go anywhere besides the grocery store so I don't know how well they're following that order. I know our Pet Supplies Plus won't let anyone in the store but they're still open if you call or order online and pickup curbside.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The US has passed the threshold of having the most cases.

The President of Mexico says that poor people are immune to COVID-19. At least there's some competition for the president who says the craziest things :/.
It was actually a Governor. Barbosa refused to comment on it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had to deposit our tax refund yesterday. And while we were at it, we hit the grocery store for more cat food and water. Why? Because we use a lot of water. And the store had no spring water, just distilled water. I won't give the cats distilled water, only as a last resort. So we bought spring water in individual bottles.

There were older people at the store, wearing masks and gloves. And pretty much everybody was practicing social distancing. There are sneeze guards at the cashiers' areas. There's a sign at the end of each aisle that tells you not to put your stuff on the belt until the person in front of you has checked out. Every time we walked by somebody, I turned my back to them. So did a lot of other people.

Anyway, when we got our cart, we wiped it down first. We went into the store, got a few things (still absolutely no TP and one two-pack of cheap paper towels in the entire store, no disinfectant, no wipes, little in the way of frozen vegetables, no frozen potato products, etc.), checked out, wiped our hands and went out to the truck. Loaded our few things, wiped our hands, and drove home. Wiped the bags, brought everything into the house, sorted through the groceries, wiped down everything we could and then set it all on the kitchen counter. Put everything away, put the bags away, washed our hands, wiped down the kitchen counters, and put our sweatshirts in the laundry hamper.

And now? They're talking about what you could bring into the house on your shoes. :thud: :soapbox:

I have never been this anxious about running simple errands. I used to love just running errands. And there's nothing special about it at all, just something that I used to enjoy doing.

I have a nasty habit of putting my fingers in my mouth. I've been a veteran nail biter forever and, even though my nails are long now, I still put them in my mouth. Rick has started to tell me about it. Yesterday, we were in the truck and he actually slapped my hand. And I don't blame him. Maybe I'll get some Nail Biter; that stuff tastes horrid and that's how I stopped biting my hands.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, it's something how all this makes you so AWARE of germs. We never worried before! Now when we aren't remodeling our new house we are at home, eating home-cooked meals, (we ate out a lot before BC, before corona) and only going to Menards building center when absolutely necessary. Ordering a lot from Amazon, but these delivery dates are getting ridiculous, JUNE before I get my new litter box storage bench for the new house? Good thing I ordered early!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We simply won't eat in restaurants, nor will we do take-out, delivery, etc. Oh, I think Rick would do delivery and such, but I refuse. He said to me yesterday about getting a pizza this weekend and I said that we have pizza in the freezer.

I'm looking at it this way: If and when we do finally go out to dinner, we're really going to appreciate it! (Either that or be so worried that we won't enjoy it. One or the other.)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone actually had that moment of realization yet about the fact that our entire planet is affected by this?
I have been following and staying current on all the details of the virus, government addresses, MOH guidlines, taking inventory of my home so I don't have the leave the house as much and trying to take care of unemployment stuff so we are ok financially. I've been staying in contact with my family, and we are all trying to take care of each other "from afar". I've been actually at peace about this impromptu "stay-cation" and am accomplishing so much around the house, my mental health is quite content at the moment. I know what's going on with all of this, but it was just the other day, that I was sitting looking out the window, when I got this overwhelming weighted feeling, that I think it finally "sunk in"....like holy poop, the whole planet is in "lockdown". Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all "Oh no! doomsday...the world is ending....it's just the magnitude of this whole thing finally "hit me", even though I've been up to date with everything, I guess I hadn't processed it all. You just do what you gotta do and keep moving forward...but it was still an odd "woosh" of "holy crap!"

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone actually had that moment of realization yet about the fact that our entire planet is affected by this?
I have been following and staying current on all the details of the virus, government addresses, MOH guidlines, taking inventory of my home so I don't have the leave the house as much and trying to take care of unemployment stuff so we are ok financially. I've been staying in contact with my family, and we are all trying to take care of each other "from afar". I've been actually at peace about this impromptu "stay-cation" and am accomplishing so much around the house, my mental health is quite content at the moment. I know what's going on with all of this, but it was just the other day, that I was sitting looking out the window, when I got this overwhelming weighted feeling, that I think it finally "sunk in"....like holy poop, the whole planet is in "lockdown". Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all "Oh no! doomsday...the world is ending....it's just the magnitude of this whole thing finally "hit me", even though I've been up to date with everything, I guess I hadn't processed it all. You just do what you gotta do and keep moving forward...but it was still an odd "woosh" of "holy crap!"
To me it gives a sense of global community.. we're all in this together, as we keep being reminded. :)