Corona Virus Now Spreading

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure if this could work, but I wish grocery stores would go partially online and close their doors to avoid people gathering together. Second, it could prevent hoarding. 1 pack of essential item (like tpaper) per household for a set amount of time (2 weeks? ). This way the system can block hoarders. Then you pick up your items by going by the store and the employees bring the items to your car.

I've wasted so much time running around trying to find stuff but there's so many people unnecessarily hoarding stuff. Something needs to be done.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure if this could work, but I wish grocery stores would go partially online and close their doors to avoid people gathering together. Second, it could prevent hoarding. 1 pack of essential item (like tpaper) per household for a set amount of time (2 weeks? ). This way the system can block hoarders. Then you pick up your items by going by the store and the employees bring the items to your car.

I've wasted so much time running around trying to find stuff but there's so many people unnecessarily hoarding stuff. Something needs to be done.
I don't know how widely available it is but many of the larger grocery store chains have had online ordering with either home delivery or at store pick up for years. It is very common here in Houston.

I'm glad stores are limited quantities of some items but that doesn't completely stop hoarding. Some people will just go back to the store repeatedly.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local Tops Market and Wal-Mart both have online and phone ordering with outside pick-up, and Tops has a home delivery service available, also.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shopping situation seems to have calmed down, or stores have stocked enough, one or the other. The guy on the radio says he went to Walmart this morning and was able to get toilet papers and isopropyl alcohol for his injections, so that's improving. The virus hasn't really hit here yet so who knows. Maybe everybody bought enough for a month, or maybe there will be another rush in a week or two.

Walmart, Kroger, and Albertsons are installing plexiglass sneeze guards in all stores. They probably should have done that a long time ago, but good on them for finally doing it. And Walmart says they got new backpack-style sprayers for disinfecting their carts, so they can do the entire thing instead of just the handles.

World Market is closing all stores for 2 weeks.

Prince Charles has tested positive.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some idiot pastor keeps having large gatherings at his church, because, he says, if they get sick he'll lay hands on them and their faith will make them well. He also says that closing churches but not grocery stores is "persecution". I wish there were some way to fine him for the medical care everyone's going to need.
Pastor again defies state order not to hold large gatherings. He says 1,000 people came to his church Sunday
And fine the people who came! Then go home and spread who knows what.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our chains has pickup and delivery. But the things they are out of are not on the online list, so that doesn't help if you are looking for tp or cat food. Pet Supplies Plus has online ordering, but it will say "low stock," so you don't know whether you can get it or not.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
SCAM ALERT: I just got a text claiming I had $1K stimulus check deposited in my Bank of America account. Guess what I don't have an account at Bank of america so beware of scams starting up as a result of the stimulus checks. While the stimulus checks are legit these texts are not. As obvious from the text that I got.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this-if I get sick, I think I need to self-isolate at my mom's house. There are mainly seniors in my building, and I'd hate to make anyone sick.

Yes, I know this would likely lead to my mom and stepdad getting sick, but Mom is a nurse, and she seems to be treating this as inevitable anyway.

The cats would need to come with me, of course.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad had gotten a box of mask from a nurse friend for my mom before all this coronavirus pandemic stuff started happening (some time last year) and he went into work today only to find that every single box has been stolen.

I don't know if they broke in or what but he's very upset so it's hard to make out the details.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im surprised more fashion companies havent offered to start making masks and gowns. Despite not having a lot of factories, NY does have a lot of fashion companies that produce locally. There are also a lot of cosmetics companies that could be making hand sanitizer and creams.
Canada Goose, a company known for it's coats/parkas, has started making scrubs and gowns for hospital staff and patients. :thumbsup:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A local Mattress Factory store has started making masks out of their excess fabric. Mattress sales have been a bit slow so they're keeping busy and helping out.
I've heard about various companies voluntarily making masks but I wonder how useful those masks are. Will the material they use prevent something as small as the codiv-19 virus from passing through?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nearly anything in front of your mouth will prevent spittle spray, which is a major carrier of virus particles. So I think it'll help a little. I don't think that kind of mask is medical-grade though.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard about various companies voluntarily making masks but I wonder how useful those masks are. Will the material they use prevent something as small as the codiv-19 virus from passing through?
I've read that cotton does not work, and it's very confusing what does work. I can't find any official medical statement, I'd like to make masks but don't want to make something they can't use.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Women in Indiana are sewing masks. They got the instructions from the hospital. They are taking them to the parking lot and someone is coming out to get them. The hospital is sterilizing them before they are used.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a balancing act - the better a mask filters, the more difficult it is for the wearer to breathe through it. DIY masks are not really intended to screen a virus which are much smaller than bacteria.

But remember - hospitals are not only dealing with covid-19. Even if elective surgery has been postponed there are still car accidents, babies being born, etc. If these homemade masks can be used to free up the commercial versions for covid-19 so much the better.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is interesting. One of my co-workers went home last week with flu like symptoms. His doctor notified the CDC who called him and asked about his symptoms. They said they didn't think he had convid-19 but rather had the flu. So he was sent to his doctor for a flu test. The flu test came back negative (only takes a few minutes for result) so they did the covid-19 test and sent it off. They (at doctor's office) said that since he tested negative for the flu that he must have covid-19. 8 people at work who had come into contact with him were sent home to self-quarantine for 14 days. Now, one week later, the covid-19 test results still are not available but the guy's symptoms have resolved. They are saying he is considered to have recovered from covid-19 even without the test result.

The thing is, they are apparently including him in the "recovered from covid-19" stats even though his covid-19 test results aren't yet available. They seem to be assuming that because he tested neg for flu that he must have had covid-19. But a quick Google search shows that there can be a high rate of false negatives with an in-office flu test.

So, now I'm wondering how many people are being labeled as covid-19 just because they have flu like symptoms but have tested neg for flu????

And, by the way, the reason no one at work was particularly concerned about this, shortly before his symptoms started, the guy was exposed to someone with the flu. We were all pretty sure he just had the flu.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Moz

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how widely available it is but many of the larger grocery store chains have had online ordering with either home delivery or at store pick up for years. It is very common here in Houston.

I'm glad stores are limited quantities of some items but that doesn't completely stop hoarding. Some people will just go back to the store repeatedly.
There is. But people are hoarding so much stuff that the essentials are never available for pick up or delivery. First come first served. They need to find a way to control this better.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is. But people are hoarding so much stuff that the essentials are never available for pick up or delivery. First come first served. They need to find a way to control this better.
I've been ordering through Instacart and the only thing my shopper wasn't able to get was kale.... which is just weird and I think it's more she didn't see it then it wasn't there.