Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Survived my shopping trip! Chisum was quite good for the groomer but she had a hard time getting him to stand (not surprising as his back right leg is bad). We made it into the store without him having a meltdown (he's fear reactive) and almost all the way out too - I was with my dad and my dad started talking to someone and blocked our way out so Chisum let out a growl. But not too bad overall, I was proud of him! And he looks handsome too :)

Let's see...we went to the vet to pick up his meds and their lobby is closed so we had to call them to bring it out. Then to Menard's because my dad is working on some projects and I needed some more paper lawn bags - their food section was nearly empty but everything else was good. People seemed pretty normal, though there was one guy in a mask shooting dirty looks at everyone.

Then we went to Dillons (Kroger). Again, not bad. People were nice and they were somewhat well stocked. Canned stuff was nearly all gone (I wanted Rotel) and they had no ramen noodles! I was surprised at that - I have a pretty good stock of Ramen myself since I like ramen and eat it frequently. Everywhere else was a little thinner but not too bad.

Just got back in and immediately stripped down and changed my clothes. Going to wash the new hoodie I bought for Chisum too before I put it on him.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow with Denver's Stay Home order, the Dumb Friends League is closing adoptions and having all the volunteers not come in, but are accepting animals being brought to them, keeping the vet/hospital services going. They want as many as possible to go to foster homes, and 1,000 new people have signed up to foster animals!
Just got the email. Thank you people out there!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michigan's numbers are skyrocketing every day. I know it's because the state increased testing a few days ago, but it's scary to see the actual numbers.

I saw someone did the math to show the difference between this and the normal flu. If you have the flu, you will infect about 1.3 other people on average. Each of those people will infect another 1.3 people, etcetera. If that happens ten times, 14 people have the flu because of you.

If you have coronavirus, you will infect about 2.5 people on average because it's more contagious. If those 2.5 people infect another 2.5 people, and that happens ten times, 9500 people have coronavirus because of you.

Those are estimates and that will change with social distancing and lock downs, but it's helpful to visualize how easily this virus became overwhelming.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't looked at Ohio's numbers today other then the county that I live in. I live in Franklin County which is Columbus and there are 44 cases and two deaths.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My county has 41 confirmed cases, and thankfully, 0 deaths. My workplace closed on 3/13, and was supposed to re-open on 3/30, but we were just told we are to return on 4/13.

My father-in-law has a brain tumor (I posted about that yesterday), and is in the hospital, which now has at least one confirmed case (they are in another county, which is not under a stay at home order as we are).

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m thinking about offering to do the shopping for my parents for awhile. They’re both in their 60s and I honestly don’t know what I’d do if either got sick. Since I’m working from home I certainly have the flexibility to shop and drive it to their house. The only thing is my dad is quite restless - he’s in the middle of several woodworking projects and he has a habit of going to town daily...I think that’s changed recently but I can see him going to shop even if I get them their groceries and required farm stuff.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m thinking about offering to do the shopping for my parents for awhile. They’re both in their 60s and I honestly don’t know what I’d do if either got sick. Since I’m working from home I certainly have the flexibility to shop and drive it to their house. The only thing is my dad is quite restless - he’s in the middle of several woodworking projects and he has a habit of going to town daily...I think that’s changed recently but I can see him going to shop even if I get them their groceries and required farm stuff.
Good on ya, KittyFriday KittyFriday . And I hope you can dissuade your dad from going to town unless absolutely necessary. We really, really have to stay serious about this until this thing burns itself out or is contained.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My county has 41 confirmed cases, and thankfully, 0 deaths. My workplace closed on 3/13, and was supposed to re-open on 3/30, but we were just told we are to return on 4/13.

My father-in-law has a brain tumor (I posted about that yesterday), and is in the hospital, which now has at least one confirmed case (they are in another county, which is not under a stay at home order as we are).
i'm so sorry! :grouphug2: Shouldnt hospital isolate patients that are at risk and should be kept away from people with the flu/viruses?

:vibes::heartshape: sending positive energy to you FIL

thats a good idea! try talking to your dad. Explain to him that he is risking your mom by going out. Perhaps that will move him to be more careful. Men wont generally care for their own safety, but will react when it comes to endangering their spouse or children.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp. It was just announced that Canadian athletes are pulling out of the Tokyo Olympics due to COVID-19 concerns if they will still begin as planned on July 24.
As of today, Japan has announced that the Olympics are postponed. Reality strikes again.

Rick has a rare blood type and he used to get called out of work to go to the hospital when they urgently needed that type. Since he was diagnosed with epilepsy and went on meds, he can no longer give blood.
My husband, Roger, is O- (universal donor) and before he ended up on so many meds he was a multi-gallon donor.

She was, as she used to put it, 'only' an LPN, but who knows what may come to pass.
Only an LPN?! Aren't LPN's the ones who do most of the work?

As much as the hospitals need the help, I have heard that most of the deaths of doctors and nurses in Italy, were the ones who came out of retirement to help with the crisis. I get wanting to help but I question how safe it is.
Retirement generally equates to a higher age, which means that retired people in general are more vulnerable. And doctors and nurses, in the front lines of fighting this virus, put themselves in danger daily. It isn't surprising that the ones who've come out of retirement to help are the ones most likely to die. But remember, they're doctors and nurses, which means that they knew that what they were doing might very well kill them. They're heroes. We need to honor them.

Thankfully St Louis city and county consider pet needs including walks as essential. I would be devastated if something happened to my cats and was told they don't matter.
When Governor Polis was giving a speech about proper response to the virus he listed caring for pets as one of the essential tasks. Along with caring for livestock and otherwise doing farm work. Those last two count as essential because we still have to eat, and there'll be nothing in the grocery stores to buy if the farms shut down, but the pets? They're essential because we love them and they're part of our families.

There's no reason to restrict outdoor activities, like walking the goat (:D) or jogging. You need fresh air and sunshine and as long as you stay away from other people it shouldn't be restricted. And people can drive around in their own cars if they want. I'm afraid they may be going too far in enforcement :/.
:yeah:

Margret

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend in my currently-not-meeting knitting group has made 100 face masks and donated them to the hospital. The hospital has people making masks, and a box set up in the lobby for donations of any color sewing thread and the necessary elastic to support the effort.

Having waffled for days about yes I'll go out / no I'll stay home situation - today Himself drove me in a loop around town to photograph what's in flower. Took some images from inside the car but as the outside mirror was an issue, I took others from just outside the car. Few vehicles on the road, occasional infrequent person walking.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry! :grouphug2: Shouldnt hospital isolate patients that are at risk and should be kept away from people with the flu/viruses?
They are isolated. And people who have compromised immune systems from some diseases are isolated from other sick patients.
And Hopeful vibes to your FIL, margecat margecat !

Last edited: