Corona Virus Now Spreading

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the NYC area, most are not panicking that I see so far. But we are a hardy stock of people. And based in reality. Been through Hurricane Sandy and 9/11 and a few huge black-outs, so we know how to get through a big crisis.

We held an office wide meeting Friday to address what our plans on in the event that our area starts to get hit hard; i.e. working from home, making sure everyone knew it was ok to stay home if they felt ill (more like begging not to come in!), gently requesting that anyone planning to go out of the country on vacation to please hold back for now, gave out CDC health info, etc. Answered questions from those who had concerns and basically calmed down the few that tended towards being a bit anxious in general as their normal state. It went well enough.

I had to remind everyone including my bosses that being flexible is important because if thing got really bad it's not just us, that means it's everyone; all of our clients and vendors too. I need to get in touch with these people tomorrow and figure out how we'll continue getting paid and make payments if that happens.

As for all else, at home slowly doing what I do for hurricane prep which is just make sure we're stocked with basics but we usually are anyway. Only thing we are having trouble finding is Purell, like everyone else. Luckily we had a giant sized one already here and we'd stocked up at the office a few weeks ago too.

All I know is my hands are dry as can be with all this hand washing to the point of stinging lol. Finally broke out a huge tube of moisturizer Friday. My big job this week is figuring out how to keep away from as many people as possible while commuting while using mass transit. Challenge accepted.

There's something to be said for my husband and I being homebodies, that's for sure. Other than me commuting to work and grocery shopping on weekends, there really isn't much other reason for us to be out and about in crowds.
It's a really great idea for offices and businesses in general to be prepared and precautionary, for sure. It's a good thing to be prepared -- it has a positive cascading effect. My husband's office is doing a test run today of WFH [Work From Home] with all the employees to iron out any kinks that might arise from doing a future "mass" WFH (voluntary or involuntary). Tomorrow everyone will be back at work just like usual, it is just today that they are doing a test run with everyone at home. In my husband's business, there are vendors and clients to worry about too, so it will help with future stress and work load to help all of your vendors and clients to know that your business is prepared.

Again, I just feel very sorry for and worried about the service industry, restaurants, shops, that kind of thing. So many people are losing foot traffic business right now. Not all people can work from home, they need to be out there in the public arena. So, it will help if everyone doesn't panic unnecessarily, and continues to support all the businesses they can! Spread kindness and support, and encourage hand-washing and staying home if you are sick or if you feel you might have been exposed to anything.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son works for a national grocery wholesale/supplier. He told me last night that they were completely out of hand santizer and it would be a couple of weeks to months before they could get any. Because we are both seniors with health issues my husband and I are not going out much. Actually, he stays home (he is much worse off health wise than I am) and I do the shopping. The only other places I go are the doctors or vets. We were never ones for going out much anyway so it is no big deal. The only thing that is inconvenient is we haven't seen our kids since Christmas. Two live in Boston and one of them has a client who is under self quarantine (no symptoms). When I was in my doctors office the other day, he suggested that it would be the best precaution if we avoided people as much as we can.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a doctor's appointment on the 17th and a dentist appointment on the 25th. Should I cancel? I'm not sure I want anybody's hands in my mouth.
I agree with Susanm9006, I too have a doctor;s appointment in 2 weeks and a dentist appt. next month. I want to get both out of the way BEFORE things possibly may go badly for us in the United States for awhile.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm due to stock up on toilet paper, litter, facial tissue and some other things...but I have always been a buy in bulk person...I just hope people don't think that I'm some "doomsday prepper", with the timing of the things I need to buy this weekend. Like you, we don't have any confirmed cases in my area, so I'll look like a tool. :lol:
I've never used hand sanitizer, I hate the stuff, so I'm good there! Soap and water for me. I've always been good at not touching my face as I work in healthcare and have just trained myself to not touch my face while working/in public, same with proper hand washing.
If it makes you feel comfortable, stock up on your supplies. Don't give what others think a thought. We have to try and get through this the best way can. It makes me feel I am being pro-active buy buying up supplies so that I know in my mind I will not be left in a lurch if the worst case scenario happens! :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I did buy a box of nitrile gloves. I already had a small box because I use gloves when I clean my moms house each week but now I have 50 more pairs. I plan to wear them while I am out and when I get home rinse them in disinfectant. Nitrile is thin but really strong and can hold up to being washed.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard or know if JUST being a smoker = "underlying medical condition", when it comes to your susceptibility of developing severe or critical symptoms?
Hear me out....
I know that smoking causes a bunch of health issues, but it is cumulative. There are plenty of young and middle aged people out there who smoke and have not YET been diagnosed with heart or lung disease, or present with symptoms yet.
So I'm wondering if/how many people who have become critical or have died of pneumonia/complications of covid-19, JUST for "being a smoker". Does the CDC consider "smoking" if NO other diseases have been diagnosed or have manifested yet as "pre-existing medical conditions"?
If that is the case, I feel like it should be considered as a separate risk factor....it may help people consider finally quitting.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard or know if JUST being a smoker = "underlying medical condition", when it comes to your susceptibility of developing severe or critical symptoms?
Hear me out....
I know that smoking causes a bunch of health issues, but it is cumulative. There are plenty of young and middle aged people out there who smoke and have not YET been diagnosed with heart or lung disease, or present with symptoms yet.
So I'm wondering if/how many people who have become critical or have died of pneumonia/complications of covid-19, JUST for "being a smoker". Does the CDC consider "smoking" if NO other diseases have been diagnosed or have manifested yet as "pre-existing medical conditions"?
If that is the case, I feel like it should be considered as a separate risk factor....it may help people consider finally quitting.
I haven’t heard that but I have to believe anything that has a negative effect on your lungs would make you more susceptible to complications.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hear me out....
I think vaping should be considered pre-existing even if smoking isn't. My cousin just got out of a two month coma and is relearning to walk. He's also had to have three surgeries related to bed sores that developed from the coma. All because he was vaping for just a year. That one can hit a lot harder and faster than regular smoking plus definitely weakens the lungs.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t heard that but I have to believe anything that has a negative effect on your lungs would make you more susceptible to complications.
Yes, obviously, one of the first things they recommend to people who have a cold or flu is to stop smoking as it IS an irritant but I'm just wondering if it is considered, on it's own, as an underlying condition. How many people who have complications to covid-19 are "just" smokers...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of the US deaths were in nursing homes and usually nursing home residents aren't allowed to smoke. But they were in nursing homes so obviously they already had something wrong. And may have been heavy smokers in their youth.

There's also a lot of air pollution in China and in big cities. That definitely weakens the lungs.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There aren't any current FDA-approved treatments for the disease of COVID-19, but this page still has a lot of good basic information... starting with: "COVID-19 is the disease caused by an infection of the SARS-CoV-2 virus ...".
List of COVID-19 Medications - Drugs.com

It also lists some of the current studies, or research and development, going on.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hear me out....
I think vaping should be considered pre-existing even if smoking isn't. My cousin just got out of a two month coma and is relearning to walk. He's also had to have three surgeries related to bed sores that developed from the coma. All because he was vaping for just a year. That one can hit a lot harder and faster than regular smoking plus definitely weakens the lungs.
In that link I just posted, it mentions Risk Factors...
" ... Scientists are still researching risk factors for COVID-19 but data from China CDC suggest that the elderly, and people suffering from pre-existing medical conditions (such as heart disease, respiratory disease, or diabetes) have a higher risk of dying from the disease. There is research that suggests that smokers may be more susceptible to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. There is also evidence to suggest that people who use e-cigarettes (vaping) are at much higher risk of developing serious respiratory infections. ..."

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A longer quote pulled from the article...
"However, we observed significantly higher ACE2 gene expression in smoker samples compared to non-smoker samples. This indicates the smokers may be more susceptible to 2019-nCov and thus smoking history should be considered in identifying susceptible population and standardizing treatment regimen."

And this what I'm still having issues with. Yes, smokers would be more susceptible...that one's kinda obvious. But from a statistical standpoint when tracking this and any other respiratory illness. I feel like, "smokers" should have their own stat.
It's says that smokers are more susceptible to the virus, but says that pre-existing conditions are more susceptible from DYING from the disease. So at what point, or do they already track, if "smoking" should or is considered a pre-existing condition.

I'm having a hard time explaining myself....

They are already releasing statistics on who have passed from this disease based on age and medical issues. I don't have the numbers in front of me so I am making up the numbers for my example.
Preexisting conditions - 90% developed complications of which 75% died.
People over 70 - 40% developed complications of which 60% have died
Middle aged - 20% developed complications of which 10% have died
Young adults - 8% developed complications of which 3% have died
Children - 10% developed complications of which 2% have died

What should also be included...and maybe it is, but just lumped into the "pre-existing" or age groups.

Smokers with pre-existing conditions - 95% developed complications, 85% died
Smokers without pre-existing conditions - 80% developed complications, 40% died.

So out of the Middle aged and young adult (no pre-existing conditions) category - How many of them were smokers?

It looks to me that smoking is NOT considered a pre-existing condition according to the article, even though it suggest that it makes you more susceptible, but I think it should have it's own stat. Or at least an additional percentage that provides information on how many of each category of the people who have developed complications or passed were smokers.
EX: - Middle aged - 20% developed complications (75% of the 20% were smokers) of which 10% have died (90% of the 10% were smokers).

I'm not trying to single out smokers or add extra fear, this kinda turn into a bit of a ramble, all I wanted to know is if "smoking" was considered a "pre-existing condition" or not....and after all of this...it looks like it's not...:paperbag::)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please forgive me for saying this, but the bottom line is, it doesn't matter. If you are so worried because you are a smoker, just stop!! If this is what it takes to get some people to recognize the potential dangers smoking can do to one's body, maybe this is a good reason to seriously stop. What will be will be, but if this is a wake up call for certain individuals, I say that's wonderful! Like that old saying, better late than never. :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to single out smokers or add extra fear, this kinda turn into a bit of a ramble, all I wanted to know is if "smoking" was considered a "pre-existing condition" or not....and after all of this...it looks like it's not...
It seems common sense to consider it an existing or pre-existing condition. It's probably too early to know yet if people have died from having covid-19 just for being a smoker, even if they weren't diagnosed with heart or lung disease.

I think of myself as having a pre-existing condition of mild COPD from my having worked with fragrance oils used in soapmaking for 10 yrs or so, though I've not been diagnosed with COPD. I decrease my interactions with fragrance oils now, as it definitely gives me shortness of breath which can stay with me for months, no matter how much I ventilate my work area during the limited days I make soap.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is what it takes to get some people to recognize the potential dangers smoking can do to one's body, maybe this is a good reason to seriously stop.
And if the proper statistics aren't revealed, some people won't take things seriously.

Please forgive me for saying this, but the bottom line is, it doesn't matter.
I have an interest in market/societal research, statistics and health care, so to me it does matter. If you read the last part of my post you will see that I agree that it turned into a bit of a rant because I wasn't sure if my "core question" was being understood.
IE - Smoking..is it pre-existing condition or risk factor. With statistics in relation to health care, those are two very different things, and should not be used interchangeably if you want to be well informed, which I like to be. Call me a nerd, but this stuff fascinates me. :ruminating::)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
And if the proper statistics aren't revealed, some people won't take things seriously.

I have an interest in market/societal research, statistics and health care, so to me it does matter. If you read the last part of my post you will see that I agree that it turned into a bit of a rant because I wasn't sure if my "core question" was being understood.
IE - Smoking..is it pre-existing condition or risk factor. With statistics in relation to health care, those are two very different things, and should not be used interchangeably if you want to be well informed, which I like to be. Call me a nerd, but this stuff fascinates me. :ruminating::)
Found this for you :

health it is very dangerous and deadly in a significant percentage of cases.

*** Another issue is smoking. It’s not a huge surprise that smoking might be a contributing factor to severity in a respiratory illness. But there’s significant evidence that smoking is significantly associated with COVID-19 progressing toward severe or critical disease. See this study from February 28th. There is also this study from February 26th which focuses on a gene expression found in smokers which is associated with COVID-19 – a “receptor” of virus. These findings may suggest that smokers are also more susceptible to infection. Key quote from the abstract: “In conclusion, our findings may indicate that smokers, especially former smokers, and people over 60 have higher risk and are more susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection.”