Corona Virus Now Spreading

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed it will peak soon (I believe that's what is being predicted?) and will then start to slow down.
I heard on last night's news that there's been a sudden huge (thousands of cases) increase in the number of reported cases in China. Whether these are new cases or "simply" under-reported cases (for whatever reason) I've no way of knowing. They were out of the same province where Wuhan is located, so it could well be either.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to read about your wrist, sounds nasty :(. Really hope you are on the mend.
Thank you. At the time, it was horrible. However, at this point I'm doing quite well. I've needed very little in the way of pain meds (and no I don't have a high pain tolerance - it just doesn't hurt that much); I've been able to drive my stick shift car with no problem, wearing a removable brace; and I start P.T. in two weeks. I'm just really glad that I wasn't able to see the wound where the bone broke through the skin the day it happened - that would probably have made me pass out.

Also, I now have some brand new ice cleats, that I found for less than $15 on eBay. They're living in a gallon Ziploc bag in my car so I'll have them when I need them.

Margret

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard on last night's news that there's been a sudden huge (thousands of cases) increase in the number of reported cases in China. Whether these are new cases or "simply" under-reported cases (for whatever reason) I've no way of knowing. They were out of the same province where Wuhan is located, so it could well be either.

Margret
This is supposed to be due to how the reporting is done. They were only reporting cases that have had a specific test that the government does. They are now reporting cases where people have gone to a doctor and been diagnosed in that way.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, just tell me if I'm being paranoid....
My co-worker went on a trip to....poop...I forget if it's Thailand or Taiwan...anyway, she's there right now and will return next week. I'm not totally freaking out or anything but I can't help but have this little..."what if"...feeling that she could ultimately bring this virus back with her. I know she is not visiting the area which has the most cases but there are some in the area she's going...plus the fact that she will be in airports and on planes and such...IDK, just worried...How would you handle this?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you are not being paranoid!

If it were me, I think I'd talk with my boss about my concerns. We do not want this one spreading if we can possibly avoid it, and asking people to be cautious after visiting areas where the virus has been found is the best way I know to avoid spreading it.

Margret

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, just tell me if I'm being paranoid....
My co-worker went on a trip to....poop...I forget if it's Thailand or Taiwan...anyway, she's there right now and will return next week. I'm not totally freaking out or anything but I can't help but have this little..."what if"...feeling that she could ultimately bring this virus back with her. I know she is not visiting the area which has the most cases but there are some in the area she's going...plus the fact that she will be in airports and on planes and such...IDK, just worried...How would you handle this?
Hi, I live in Seoul. My parents are currently in Bali on vacation and came through Seoul and Singapore to get there. While I think the fear is vastly overblown outside of China, it's okay to be concerned. The fact is that almost all the cases confirmed outside of China came from a rather small amount of people who'd visited Wuhan initially and the people they came into direct contact with (family members, people who shared meals, people who were near each other for an extended period of time--ie the cruise ship cases) It has been over 2-weeks since most Asian countries instituted strict screenings and quarantined those who may have contracted the virus. People are generally being very cautious (wearing masks, avoiding crowds if they can, not sharing the same plates of food), so the risk to the general public is being managed.

That being said, my mom's work back in the States is making her do a self-quarantine and work from home for 2 weeks when she returns (even though she's been at an all-inclusive resort that's more than half-empty). As are many workplaces and schools here asking their employees if they travel abroad (even if they've traveled to Europe). If it is possible for your co-worker to work from home for 2 weeks, that would be a reasonable way to handle it. Also, if there is anyone with compromised immunity or severe respiratory issues at your work, you could definitely use that to ask your boss/HR to ask the co-worker to self-quarantine. Otherwise, you could ask them to keep contact with other employees to a bare minimum, ask them to wear a mask and keep hand sanitizer close by. You could also wear a mask and avoid sharing space with that employee for two weeks.

Better safe than sorry, but please don't worry or panic!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a great book about the flu pandemic of 1918 called The Great Influenza, by John Barry. The author has been called out about his descriptions of how viruses work, but what was most interesting to me was how the US dealt with this virus and the changes in thinking that helped us deal with this deadly disease. In my home state, he says that railroad tracks were blocked off to prevent spread of disease. I hope the coronavirus is not as bad as that pandemic, but I have to believe that someday we will have a pandemic as bad as that influenza.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.
And I just wanted to say that I'm not panicking about all of this, I just wanted a bit of perspective. I don't know how well airports and the general public are working at keeping this contained, generally because there IS so much panic in the media. Up until this co-workers trip, I've been feeling very secure that I'm not as risk at all. I find it deplorable how some people are treating others simply because of their ethnicity. My concern is that although she's a smart girl, she is, dare I say, young and naive, so I do question how seriously she takes this and considering she will be at a few airports as it is not a direct flight (there or back).
I'm going to casually bring up my concern to my boss, although she will probably just say "It'll be fine, don't worry" and that will be the end of it. But at least it will put a little bug in her ear for her to think about.
I work in a physical therapy clinic so we are scrupulous with hygiene and disinfection practices, we also have masks for ourselves and patients if needed (always have...not just because of this outbreak). But by the same token, we are a physical therapy clinic, working in close contact with each other and our patients, so transmission is a real threat, for ANY contagion, not just this one.
IDK, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say to take the same precautions you do to prevent flu. This year's flu may be worse than coronavirus so maybe you'd be better off anyway. . . :tongue:

But also, Taiwan and Thailand haven't had many cases of COVID-19 yet, so risk shoud be pretty low.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thailand is not placing any travel bans. They rely too much economically on china and wanna keep them as friends. So feeling concerned about someone who went to thailand is understandable.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had pain in my chest for a few days so I went to the doc....I have walking pneumonia! I am now on 3 days of prednisone and 10 days of antibiotics. Glad I went. Theo is upset that I can't play like normal....daddy has no energy....
I hope you get better soon...and take care of yourself..Theo just has to relax with daddy alittle:)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had pain in my chest for a few days so I went to the doc....I have walking pneumonia! I am now on 3 days of prednisone and 10 days of antibiotics. Glad I went. Theo is upset that I can't play like normal....daddy has no energy....
Hope you're soon on the mend!!💖

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is an outbreak in a region of South Korea. I also heard on the news about a possible outbreak in Iran. If it is seasonal in nature those of us in the Northern Hemisphere will get a break shortly. Mass production of a vaccine is 18 months away. If it is like the flu pandemic early the last century it will abate and then come back again. What makes viruses so difficult is that they are constantly mutating.

I tend to have a fatalistic view of things like this so I don't 'panic' about it. I do wish China would open up more and be completely transparent. As the epicenter that is where we need to get all the possible data about this.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an outbreak in a region of South Korea. I also heard on the news about a possible outbreak in Iran.
There is also an outbreak happening in Italy, 12 cases yesterday and 20+ new cases today, they now have the highest number of cases in Europe with a total of 50 cases and 2 deaths.