Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been fortunate since I got out of the military I have had jobs where I could call in and not lose pay. I also have been fortunate in that I don't get sick a lot so calling in doesn't cause raised eyebrows at work.
So do I. But if I take more than 3 days, I need a doctor's note, which means I couldn't self-quarantine; I'd have to go into town to see a doctor. And if someone is going to stay home because they think they might be coming down with something nasty, they'll usually need more than 3 days. The American workplace just isn't set up for disease prevention.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, once again, for those of us who are at special risk there are things that we can and do do to prevent the flu, like getting the most effective flu shot available every year.
This is true but the problem is as you guys have been discussing here too, controlling contagious diseases takes everyone's effort. Like with the flu, in Turkey they advertise the flu vaccine especially for people with weaker immune systems but this isn't good enough because there are also people who can't get vaccinated due to health issues and they are counting on the people who CAN get vaccinated to get vaccinated so the flu will be less common around and they will be less likely to catch it. But that's not how things go here. If I may say so, because public transportation is big in Turkey, if anyone takes public transportation for example, they must get vaccinated. This is the wise, responsible thing to do. I saw a picture couple months ago on Instagram a lady from Japan wearing a mask in the plane because she has a cold. I honestly don't remember a time I have seen this in a flight in Europe.

But how do we protect ourselves from this virus? It appears that not even wearing a mask in public is protective, as it was with SARS.
I read the same things we do to prevent the flu, sans vaccination. Wash hands frequently, wear mask, nutritionally balanced vitamin rich diet and other tips to support the immune system. I didn't real all cases but every case I read outside of China sounded like they got in contact with someone who had the virus either physically or they were way too close.

This seems to be the latest country map for where it's been seen.

1580285491673.png

This is for the USA locally. I took it from Novel Coronavirus 2019 Situation Summary, Wuhan, China | CDC , not sure if it's really the latest map
1580285568111.png

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of last night's news, there have been three suspected cases in Colorado, which at first tested positive for this corona virus, but further testing determined that they were false alarms. The news did not say how this was determined.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Just today, there is already confirmed cases in the UAE, so it has reached the Middle East reqion. But the news is not clear how many - only that it is a Chinese family. So far their condition is stable.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like with the flu, in Turkey they advertise the flu vaccine especially for people with weaker immune systems but this isn't good enough because there are also people who can't get vaccinated due to health issues and they are counting on the people who CAN get vaccinated to get vaccinated so the flu will be less common around and they will be less likely to catch it. But that's not how things go here. If I may say so, because public transportation is big in Turkey, if anyone takes public transportation for example, they must get vaccinated. This is the wise, responsible thing to do.
Yes, it's called "herd immunity." If enough members of the public are vaccinated, people who can't be vaccinated are safe, because they aren't exposed to the virus. This is the reason the anti-vaxxing movement is so dangerous; these people don't just endanger their selves and their children, they also endanger people who can't be vaccinated and therefore have to rely on herd immunity.

Margret

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We've got two cases a few miles away in the county next to us. The husband had been to Wuhan, contracted the virus, and then infected his wife. They'd been quarantined in their home for the past week or two but both have worsened to the point that they're now being transferred to a hospital for care. I hope they pull through. :vibes:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicago has quarantined people coming from China in a special unit for 14 days. The 14 days aren't up yet, so I don't know how successful this was. I believe they were Americans trying to escape Wuhan, and that there were about 30 of them.

I also read a story on-line somewhere that some doctors in China had developed a treatment that was quite successful. They mixed an anti-flu drug with two HIV drugs (which are anti-viral meds). Patients recovered quickly in 48 hours. If this is true, it certainly sounds promising.

Sorry I'm so vague. The impeachment trial has wiped so much other news out.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
What is eerie about this virus is that it's almost identical to the events in Stephen King's novel The Stand. Not sure how many Stephen King fans there are or anyone remembers reading the book or watching the mini series (1990s not the remake). A woman in St Louis returned home from Wuhan China but she asked to be quarantined so as to not spread the virus.

This news station has been around longer than the 64 years I've been alive so the source is extremely reputable.

St. Louis woman who fled China due to coronavirus speaks | 'It's really frightening'

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is eerie about this virus is that it's almost identical to the events in Stephen King's novel The Stand. Not sure how many Stephen King fans there are or anyone remembers reading the book or watching the mini series (1990s not the remake). A woman in St Louis returned home from Wuhan China but she asked to be quarantined so as to not spread the virus.

This news station has been around longer than the 64 years I've been alive so the source is extremely reputable.

St. Louis woman who fled China due to coronavirus speaks | 'It's really frightening'

One of my favourite books.... Eeeeep

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favourite books.... Eeeeep
I only made the connection because I just recently re read the novel and am hooked on Castle Rock which first season it was debated whether the kid was Pennywise or Randall Flagg (from The Stand). But it is eerie how similar this is to his novel.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last time I read it was probably about a year ago. Captain Trips..... Shudder. Did you know they're doing a new series? I've heard about Castle Rock but don't think it's available in the UK.

A series that I really enjoyed (and which showed the necessity of quarantine and basically isolating areas and people as needed) was Containment. Got slated but I enjoyed it. Heroine bit too much of a saint for my liking though.

Oh, and there's 'Contagion' and 'Carriers'. Both bleak films and scary. Contagion is from what I remember - to use your words - eerily similar....

Sorry, wandered off topic. Although I suppose it's still virus related given the topics of the films I mentioned! (Obviously not the 2019-NCOV virus though) .

To go back to topic, I haven't seen the news today so not sure if UK have any more confirmed cases - we were still on 2 I think yesterday?

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Castle Rock is on Hulu only. Don't know if you have Hulu in the UK. I think what is eerie about The Stand is the way Stephen King presented it. Can you imagine being the only survivor of a virus in your city like he wrote?

Silent Hill is actually the same type of thing, although not a virus per se. (I'm referring to the video game, not the movie based off of it)

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that if the Corona Virus gets into the 3rd world countries like places like Africa that don't have the ability to control it, then it could become a world wide pandemic.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard that if the Corona Virus gets into the 3rd world countries like places like Africa that don't have the ability to control it, then it could become a world wide pandemic.
That's basically the major reason why the WHO declared it as a global public health emergency.

'The new coronavirus has been declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread outside China.

"The main reason for this declaration is not what is happening in China but what is happening in other countries," said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

The concern is that it could spread to countries with weaker health systems.'

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On December 29 I slipped on ice and ended up with a complex fracture of both bones just above my right wrist, which was surgically repaired within a couple of hours.

Today I had my second follow-up appointment with the surgeon, and they gave me one piece of paper to fill out. They wanted my name and birth date, of course, and besides that they had exactly three questions:
  1. Do you feel like you're coming down with something?
  2. Have you traveled outside of the country recently?
  3. Have you had contact with anyone who's traveled outside of the country recently?
Margret

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to read about your wrist, sounds nasty :(. Really hope you are on the mend.

I think we're on 9 confirmed still in the UK but haven't seen the news today.

I think it's now more complicated as they've widened the case definition to include 9 or 10 countries so that hugely increases the number of people who may require tests.

Fingers crossed it will peak soon (I believe that's what is being predicted?) and will then start to slow down. I think I read somewhere yesterday that the number of confirmed cases on a daily basis in China was starting to fall. Probably BBC news but can't remember exactly.

Take care everyone x

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
A physician I use recommends Interferon-A to combat the flu. He says if you take it early enough, just after exposure, it can boost the immune system enough to fight it off. He also recommends monolaurin and a massive dose of vitamin D ( 1000IU per pound taken once.) I have not caught the flu while using this regimen, not that it proves anything. But from what I have read, Interferon-A can also help with the coronavirus. But I would have to know I had been exposed!