Corona Virus Now Spreading

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Involving the police in social distancing has made a difference here in the UK:
Coronavirus: UK measures 'making a difference'
Do you think so? Unless things have changed since yesterday that really surprises me...

BBC news had stories about police having to break up a large party on Saturday (20 + adults) and also some poor farmer got beaten up in the Lakes when he challenged some people walking over his land...

I don't think it's made that much difference at all so far. Hope it does though, I really don't want to get to a point where we can't go out at all which I can see coming if people don't stop being utterly stupid.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@artiemom - Lots of hugs to you. This is so difficult to go through, and you have it bad.

I get anxious myself. So many items I can't get in grocery stores or online. I spent most of today figuring out substitutes for things - kleenex for toilet paper, bath soap for hand soap, paper towels for napkins. I don't know what I will do if I run out of paper towels. Mingo threw up today, and I had to use several of my precious paper towels to clean up the mess. I guess I could go to cloth napkins if I have to.

It's taken several days to get in enough cat food for a few weeks. Mingo is allergic to fish and gets crystals if he isn't fed wet food. I found one box of FF at a local grocery and ordered online from Chewy and Amazon. The Chewy order won't come in for weeks, but Amazon is coming sooner than expected. That's at least one relief.

I won't go out again unless it's a matter of life or death, which it is anyway.
why dont you buy hand towels from walmart? or the yellow absorbant towels that are used for the floor. you can use them for floor clean ups, rinse them out really well and toss in the washer.

not the best thing to do, but will save your paper towels.

edit: OOPS disregard, just saw the suggestions made by everyone else, sorry about that.

Assuming this isn't just some April fools joke that someone who doesn't get how they work let out early.....

No they can't just stop paying you as that would be illegal and would cause them no end of trouble, but they could do layoffs.That's not all bad though, as Keika pointed out you'd be able to collect unemployment and unless you were terrible at your job you'll probably have the option to be re-hired when they open up again.
Never been through something like this so everyone is just confused. This is my second job, so i dont really know what companies can/cant do. Which is why i like to search up info when things like this happen.
But your reply makes me feel better. :heartshape:

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why dont you buy hand towels from walmart? or the yellow absorbant towels that are used for the floor. you can use them for floor clean ups, rinse them out really well and toss in the washer.
That's what I was planning to do with dish towels as I have plenty, but a neighbor came to the rescue. She just found a package of 12 tolls of paper towels at Jewel and shared two rolls with me. This is one good thing that's come from the virus. She has lived across the street from me for 16 years, but we've never met. She and two other neighbors have come over and asked me if there was anything they could get for me. With the warmer weather coming, it's nice to go outside and talk to people. No reason not to as long as we stand 6 feet apart.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
John Prine (I love his songs) is stable (on a ventilator) now, has coronavirus. Was in critical condition yesterday. Glad to hear.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was planning to do with dish towels as I have plenty, but a neighbor came to the rescue. She just found a package of 12 tolls of paper towels at Jewel and shared two rolls with me. This is one good thing that's come from the virus. She has lived across the street from me for 16 years, but we've never met. She and two other neighbors have come over and asked me if there was anything they could get for me. With the warmer weather coming, it's nice to go outside and talk to people. No reason not to as long as we stand 6 feet apart.
thats awesome! my mom always made the effort to get along with neighbors like that. Said her neighbor in cuba saved her and her daughter from a fire. I dont think getting along with neighbors is that common anymore for the younger generation.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Korean school is going online. High schoolers start next week, middle schoolers the week after, and elementary schoolers the week after that. There is no plan however, as to how they are supposed to do it. Each school has to figure it out for themselves. The government just kind of said that's what's going to happen. Despite being a technologically advanced country, a majority of Korean websites still run off of Internet Explorer. Although teaching is mostly lecture style, which makes it easier (I guess), I'm pretty sure Korean classrooms do not utilize any of the digital tools that schools in the states are using. There's not much of a homeschooling culture here either, so not sure how much "do-it-yourself" material is available in Korean. As for P and K kids, they are just staying out of school until they can be back in the classroom--which they are now aiming for the end of April.

We're not sure what that means for us yet. Our boss is adding tasks (writing guidebook materials, making new PPTs) to the teachers to make sure that they are using their time fully, which at least suggests to me that she is nowhere near laying folks off from the foreign staff. She has the Korean teachers alternating their days, while admin and my department, R&D, are in every day at our regular hours. I really wouldn't mind having my hours reduced. I'm relatively comfortable and with student loan payments frozen until September, I'm not worried about running out of cash, at the moment, but because the situation is always changing, I'm not going to be the one to fall on that sword unnecessarily.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@
Korean school is going online. High schoolers start next week, middle schoolers the week after, and elementary schoolers the week after that. There is no plan however, as to how they are supposed to do it. Each school has to figure it out for themselves. The government just kind of said that's what's going to happen. Despite being a technologically advanced country, a majority of Korean websites still run off of Internet Explorer. Although teaching is mostly lecture style, which makes it easier (I guess), I'm pretty sure Korean classrooms do not utilize any of the digital tools that schools in the states are using. There's not much of a homeschooling culture here either, so not sure how much "do-it-yourself" material is available in Korean. As for P and K kids, they are just staying out of school until they can be back in the classroom--which they are now aiming for the end of April.

We're not sure what that means for us yet. Our boss is adding tasks (writing guidebook materials, making new PPTs) to the teachers to make sure that they are using their time fully, which at least suggests to me that she is nowhere near laying folks off from the foreign staff. She has the Korean teachers alternating their days, while admin and my department, R&D, are in every day at our regular hours. I really wouldn't mind having my hours reduced. I'm relatively comfortable and with student loan payments frozen until September, I'm not worried about running out of cash, at the moment, but because the situation is always changing, I'm not going to be the one to fall on that sword unnecessarily.
Ive been using cctalk, classin and zoom. All of these have english versions. I like cctalk the most so far- you can record the classes and the video stays on the server. Classin lags too much and is unstable. Zoom is ok for small classes or meetings

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! The city employees should take advantage of the emptiness to get some construction/maintenance projects done.

Someone in the town I work in tested positive. I haven't had contact with him personally but I have seen his mom :/. They're all on quarantine now.

My parents both had a fairly mild "cold" over the last couple of weeks. My dad was in New Orleans the end of February so it would have been within the incubation period when he started showing symptoms. Honestly I hope that was COVID-19 so I don't have to worry about them anymore. I wish they were doing titer testing to see who's had it already.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have our third case in my county as of this morning and he's in ICU. I know they are only testing people who are really ill but it's always so worrying to hear that someone is positive and they are in the hospital. He's in his 50s and his wife works for the school so hopefully she isn't contagious and passed it on to someone else.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My county has 3 cases, out of a total of 145 in the state. One of them is the spouse of someone who works at the county courthouse in my town.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! The city employees should take advantage of the emptiness to get some construction/maintenance projects done.

Someone in the town I work in tested positive. I haven't had contact with him personally but I have seen his mom :/. They're all on quarantine now.

My parents both had a fairly mild "cold" over the last couple of weeks. My dad was in New Orleans the end of February so it would have been within the incubation period when he started showing symptoms. Honestly I hope that was COVID-19 so I don't have to worry about them anymore. I wish they were doing titer testing to see who's had it already.
Construction, etc., are "essential" activities and they're continuing uninterrupted. Don't think they're upping the pace, but I talked to a road work dude who allowed that is was sure nice not to have to worry about SUVs crashing through the barriers and hitting his jobsites as much.

I'd say traffic is down by 98% in DTLA.

I'll bet by 75% where I live.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You see those pictures of Times Square, and, think yeah, well, it's New Yawk . . .

Then look out your own window.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I look out my own window, all I'll see is a groundhog or a pheasant even at the busiest :tongue: .

At work. . .it's only a town of 400, but the mayor put a lockdown order on all non-essential businesses. The gas station is still open, but has a sign on the door saying only 10 people can be inside. And the state took away the video lottery machines because having them roped off or even unplugging them wasn't working---people just plugged them in again. Addiction! The bank has the door locked so you have to knock and they only let in one customer at a time. The insurance agents are working from home. The bar/restaurant is only doing takeout. Propane delivery is apparently an essential service because they're still working.

I think I've had the normal amount of business at the PO, maybe even a bit more than usual (because so many are home from work, thinking about mailing things to friends and family members). I have the floor taped off so people stand 3 feet away from the counter, and a sign on the door saying only one person allowed in the lobby at a time. Everybody seems to be respecting that. There's talk of getting some plexiglass to make a sneeze guard, but I'll have to rig it up myself because all the maintenance guys are too busy.

There are a whole lot more people going for walks. Dogs have never been so happy, lol.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like here, too.

Lots of doggies, and kids, and mommies and daddies trooping about on outings. The weather is just starting to get really nice again. (If it even tinkle-sprinkles people here run inside, like they're made of sugar and will melt.) I've heard that warm weather might make the virus less bad. If that's true, great. Not banking on it.

Post Office is busy, still, though you have to make appointments for passports, instead of the previous "come when ready" routine.

Grocery stores are (finally) not so much like asylums for the insane; the shelves, previously nearly bare, are getting back up to stock again. (It takes 30 - 50 semis to stock one fully.) Bit by bit. And, it's gotten a lot easier to bag the shy, elusive wild Toilet Paper. Still, there's limits: one bag of potatoes per household.

Gophers are digging again, preparing for the season of whoopee. The Red Tailed Hawks are due back for their soaring sessions, and the mockingbirds are all singing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The county that I live in, Franklin County OH has 281 cases and 2 deaths. Ohio has 1,933 cases and 39 deaths. Traffic here has been like Sunday morning for most of the month.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got this off the news about Manhattan. These are supposedly freezer trucks for a bumper crop of the dead expected soon.

Be well, y'all.

freezer trucks for the dead.jpg