Corona Virus Now Spreading

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I think you are right. There are things that can be done to slow it down a bit but I think this will continue for the forseeable future, at least through the winter. It will abate some in the summer because people will spend more time outside which seems to really lower transmission. The fear is that there will also be a bad flu season which will be a real double whammy on the health care system. The measles vaccine rate is way down. It isn't just the anti-vaxxers but also the fact that kids aren't going to day cares and physically going to school. A lot of parents get their kids vaccinated because day care or school requires it, I don't understand that but it is what it is. I have read that a 90% vaccination rate is required for herd immunity with measles. Add a general measles outbreak and we have a triple whammy.
I know there were people who said numbers would get better over the summer, and maybe it did in some places, but ours started increasing in the summer and have been high ever since.

The concern with herd immunity is that this is a pretty serious virus. Not considering the people that die from it right away, they've started to find real long term effects, and of course you can catch it again. That's enough to keep me and my family at home for as long as possible.

I saw a status on Facebook today that said people should go ahead and celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas, because we aren't guaranteed anything so we might as well get together with family. It's a nice sentiment, but what a risk!

I'm hoping my brother and his family can come for Thanksgiving. He works in a school system that has been hit hard, but he and his wife may get tested before they come. We'll see.

My friend in South Dakota is supposed to be coming back this weekend. South Dakota just made our quarantine list, so technically she's supposed to be in quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Kansas. She's claimed to be really careful with following regulations, but she's only coming for a weekend and she plans to stay with friends so I don't think she'll be following that.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a status on Facebook today that said people should go ahead and celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas, because we aren't guaranteed anything so we might as well get together with family. It's a nice sentiment, but what a risk!
We already had our Thanksgiving, and I'll admit that we (my mom's side) did decide to get together. It was my husband and me, my sister and her family, my Mom, Step-dad and Grandmother. The thing is, this is probably going to be my Grandmothers "last year", she is not well and still lives alone. We made the decision to get together for thanksgiving, for her. She can't just live out the rest of her days all alone. We've seen her a few times, when my mom (who is her caregiver) has brought her out for a ride, but she would just stay in the car and we would speak to her in the drive way. And if well enough, we would get her out on the patio. But she's very lonely, only seeing a select few people and not having anyone at her house except for my mom.
We did take every precaution to ensure her (and our) safety, and we were extra careful leading up to our dinner so make sure we stayed healthy, but yes, I gave her a big hug!
In some situations you need to weigh the risks and benefits and the benefits of this dinner for my Grandmother, far outweighed the risks this time. Granted we don't have raging numbers like other places...

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that in some cases it may be worth a risk, however I'd wager in the vast majority of cases it's not, unless people live by the "YOLO" mantra.

For example, my aunt and uncle usually come for Thanksgiving. They are both in their 70s and generally healthy so they're certainly not at death's door (but again, like this particular status said, you never know...). However, to me, and to them, having them travel and be potentially exposed via the travel or each other isn't worth it because if they get sick they could potentially get very sick. If they isolate like they have and they do not get sick, there is always next year.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking at not getting together with family as a positive. Normally on Thanksgiving, we are either rushing to get to family's house or rushing to get home afterwards. Don't get a lot of time to spend just relaxing and enjoying because we live so far from them. Christmas is even worse. Fly through opening presents at our house, rushing to get out the door and drive to family's house. Rush through opening presents at their house. Rush to get back home.

This year will be more relaxing and we can really savor our time together because it's just going to be the four of us and no rushing to anyone's house.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio has broke their record several days in a row. Today it was 6,500 new cases. DeWine canceled his usual middle of the day briefing and is giving it tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. That one was right before the mask mandate. I think there are restrictions coming.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cases are going up and Pritzker has put in new restrictions, and yet more and more schools are opening and pushing to go full time instead of hybrid, and saying things like "Groups of 10 total don't count in schools."

I'm so glad I'm not teaching right now. I'm getting close to being ready to start getting grocery delivery rather than going to the store (though I'm not there yet).

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What gets me is that there are so many people on my Facebook that are posting long, sad statuses about how they can't see friends, go on trips, do fun things, etc. These exact same people are also frequent posters, so I can see their pictures of what they are doing: movies with their kids, lunch with friends, a trip to the Ozarks, no masks or precautions to be seen.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My province is basically warning us of a second lockdown if people don't start behaving. My city is currently getting some concerning numbers too and there is talk around town about closures... Most of these recent cases are "private gathering" related, one being a Halloween party, apparently the homeowners were unaware...so I can only assume it was kids...well, young people anyway....I'm so flipping frustrated with all this!:gaah:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of these recent cases are "private gathering" related, one being a Halloween party, apparently the homeowners were unaware...so I can only assume it was kids...well, young people anyway....I'm so flipping frustrated with all this!:gaah:
Just wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Private gatherings are a big factor in the surge here as well. We are also having a lot of large packed crowds outside for this that and the other. I know being outside is safer but it is not safe and that needs to stop as well. Now there is all the talk about lockdowns again and that is not getting the true driver of this, it is just bringing more economic pain for absolutely no reason.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
What gets me is that there are so many people on my Facebook that are posting long, sad statuses about how they can't see friends, go on trips, do fun things, etc. These exact same people are also frequent posters, so I can see their pictures of what they are doing: movies with their kids, lunch with friends, a trip to the Ozarks, no masks or precautions to be seen.
Oh Boo, Hoo, they need to get over themselves, it's the same way worldwide,

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My building has been closed to all public since our apartment quarantine ended in May. With few exceptions one family member was allowed in, and needed permission. A log was at the desk, with their names on it. They needed to check in, have their temp taken..

Residents in the building received a notice from the building director re: T-day. Foolishly, the Director caved into pressure. On T-day, our building is allowed OPEN.. with a limit of 2 family members, over the age of 12, to visit!!! :mad:

They are supposed to have a short visit, have temp check before entering building--does not do any good as far as I am concerned..

Also, instructed for a Short Visit; Not to have any meals eaten, Masks worn at all times, in the apartment, social distancing....

Well, We all know how this will go!!! :fuming:
Who is going to monitor them in their own apartments? and time periods?:livid:

So, I expect, I have until Dec 1, to go shopping and really stock up; Before full quarantine returns to my building!! :angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a nursing home we take a lot of precautions and are tested twice a week. We’ve had approximately 25 employees and residents with covid. I refuse to work on the covid hall as my husband has MS. We have been very fortunate compared to some other nursing homes in nearby counties. As of yesterday our last results were all negative.

As far as supplies I’ve just started seeing Clorox wipes and have been buying within reason. We’ve been gradually adding to our tp supply. Where I live most locals don’t wear masks even though it’s required really irks me

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so...
We already had our Thanksgiving (Canada), but yes there was a slight up tick in cases starting a week or so after, then after Halloween there was a larger surge. Me and my family have been really good, at my work we are very careful. It's just so frustrating because I was hoping that we'd be able to get together with family for Christmas, but if this trend continues and a lockdown happens we won't be able to. I just wish people were more careful...it's not hard.
And the thing is, IF precautions are followed, there is no reason you can't have a small family dinner. A Co-worker of mine, had a gathering for her sisters 40th about a month ago. They kept the numbers to the max allowed, they had one designated person serving the food, all single serve food was already portioned out, they had one designated person pouring drinks and they put hand sanitizing "stations" all over. While eating, they sat only with their household, and while mingling, people wore their masks. They all had a wonderful time and no body was/got sick.
We got together for Thanksgiving at my sisters, and us also were very careful...it didn't require quite as much scrutiny as my co-workers party, but that's just because all of us are in each others "bubble"...and again, we had great time and nobody was or got sick.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Christmas is probably going to be a Zoom one this year. My mum has already changed her background to a festive one on Microsoft Teams as have several others in her office when they have meetings, lol. A lot of people seem to be putting up their decorations early this year to make things seem less depressing, and I must admit it's lovely driving around and seeing all the colourful lights again. We normally have big family Christmasses, and with over 20 of us, the virus could easily spread.