Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always go early Saturday morning. I think that is why I am able to find the disinfectants and paper products. They are sometimes out of the wipes or sprays but then the next week they will have it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denmark is going to cull (kill, murder, if you ask me) 17 MILLION minks because they might be carriers of a mutated strain of the coronavirus.
I have no words to describe Danish! :angryfire:

This is too painful to me!
Breeding animal for furs should be banned. As far as I know, in my country this kind of industry has been banned, but I want to investogate further.

Last edited:

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Denmark is going to cull (kill, murder, if you ask me) 17 MILLION minks because they might be carriers of a mutated strain of the coronavirus.
I don't know how the mink in Denmark are raised, but fur animals usually live their entire lives in tiny cages next to thousands of others. Being dead might be better.
They're bred to be killed anyways.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're fur animals and were going to be killed anyway. I don't approve of the fur industry (I'm ok with using fur/leather if the animal is eaten, but nobody eats mink or foxes), but if people weren't outraged by that, they shouldn't be outraged that they're going to be killed for public health instead.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know what to think right now.
Monday 3 new cases, Tuesday 3 new cases, Wednesday 1 new case, Thursday 9 new cases and today 20 new cases!
We've never had that many cases in a single week before.
This is the first time I feel a little worried about a second closure in my city.

On a funnier note....
One of my clients had come in this week, and while discussing treatment for his appointment, his cell phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket apologizing, as he forgot to turn it off. But of course, he looked at who was calling...and that's when he read what it said out loud to me, "....Health Center". We both looked at each other with slightly worried looks on our faces....He then asked...."um....you mind if I get this?..." Of course I said to go ahead.
Both of us had that moment of panic that perhaps he was being contacted thru tracing for Covid exposure...Turns out it was just someone trying to get a hold of his wife for some appointment for something...we both had a little "relief laugh" after that..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio broke their record for a third day in a row. The state had 5,549 new cases and 45 deaths, the county I live in which is the most populous in the state had 1,295 new cases yesterday. This is with a mask mandate, schools in this county still online and a lot of people still working at home. They also have a 10 p.m. curfew on bars and serving liquor in restaurants, restaurants are still at very low capacity most are still doing mostly takeout and delivery. The theory is it is private gatherings. I personally thing that community spread gets to the point where there really is nothing short of staying at home and never going out for anything that protects people from getting this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, here there were 28 deaths reported yesterday and 13 reported today. 22 reported on Thursday. 63 in 3 days! One local funeral home has 11 obituaries listed since November 1st (not all of them say the person died of COVID but I know not every family wishes to mention it). Positivity rate is at 48%. They haven't cancelled school, but at any given moment, half the kids are out on exposure quarantine. I don't know what's going to happen.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio's positivity rate is up to 10%. It wasn't really that long ago that it was just a tiny bit over 3%.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My humble opinion is that this is like trying to empty the ocean with a table spoon. I don't think this wave can be stopped, I think, unfortunately, that it has to do its own course.
It is possible that in future there will be a vaccine, that at the moment isn't in sight. Probably a herd immunity will come first.

In an interview in a TV program yesterday, a doctor of our expert team had been asked why the date for the rollout of this promised vaccine keeps moving forward.
His reply was that at the moment there is no vaccine ready for the distribution. The forward moving date is because in time of desperation, people need a hope and a light at the end of the tunnel, so they are keeping promising a vaccine in order to keep people quiet, but at the moment nothing of the kind is ready.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately I think you are right. There are things that can be done to slow it down a bit but I think this will continue for the forseeable future, at least through the winter. It will abate some in the summer because people will spend more time outside which seems to really lower transmission. The fear is that there will also be a bad flu season which will be a real double whammy on the health care system. The measles vaccine rate is way down. It isn't just the anti-vaxxers but also the fact that kids aren't going to day cares and physically going to school. A lot of parents get their kids vaccinated because day care or school requires it, I don't understand that but it is what it is. I have read that a 90% vaccination rate is required for herd immunity with measles. Add a general measles outbreak and we have a triple whammy.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the vaccine will get here when it gets here. I would rather they wait to release it when it is effective and safe. Wash your hands, stay home if you feel feverish and self isolate. This is good for flu and colds too!
I know it is boring but we just have to be patient. I read somewhere the flu shot helps protect and my Dr. says 4000 IU vitamin D3 help too.
j

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you feeling?
It's hard to say. I've been slightly congested about a week now with a bit of a tickly throat, and a slight headache on and off (though it's been a super stressful week). I got my test at least 5 days after exposure (it's been 9 days since exposure, 4 long days since test). So unless I wake up feeling a lot worse or my husband's test comes back positive, hopefully I can trust it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been slightly congested about a week now with a bit of a tickly throat, and a slight headache on and off
I've had that all week too. For me, I kind of hope it is COVID, so maybe I can work up some antibodies without getting too sick. But I know it can cause complications in pregnancy so I hope it's not in your case! :vibes:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had that all week too. For me, I kind of hope it is COVID, so maybe I can work up some antibodies without getting too sick. But I know it can cause complications in pregnancy so I hope it's not in your case! :vibes:
Thanks. I'm okay with a minor cold if that's what it is. I'm going to keep watching myself the next couple days, but trust the results for now.

Can you get tested? We had a nearby drive through place where you didn't need appointments as long as you were willing to wait in line.