Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a lot of panic buying going on it's just that huge quantities of toilet paper was the one that made no logical sense. There were a lot of bare shelves but they made sense. Disinfectants, hand soap and hand sanitizer were impossible to find anywhere at anytime for awhile but that made sense. The staples like food made sense, people wanted to make a big buy so they wouldn't have to go back out anytime soon. Huge quantities of toilet paper made no sense. An average size family had no need for a floor to ceiling wall of toilet paper. There are probably people who still have enough to last another year from the panic buying they did when this started.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So annoyed and :angrywoman: right now. I found an available space to have my lunch. There was a guy across the space having his lunch. Fine. Then he goes to put trash in the bin and use the coffee machine. He starts loudly clearing his throat and coughing and sniffling:censored: He did have a surgical type mask on but still. He gets his coffee and leaves, still clearing his throat etc. He never got within 6 feet of me. I packed my stuff up and went elsewhere to have lunch. Seriously???? If you' re not feeling well or have questionable symptoms, stay home
:bat::fuming:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So annoyed and :angrywoman: right now. I found an available space to have my lunch. There was a guy across the space having his lunch. Fine. Then he goes to put trash in the bin and use the coffee machine. He starts loudly clearing his throat and coughing and sniffling:censored: He did have a surgical type mask on but still. He gets his coffee and leaves, still clearing his throat etc. He never got within 6 feet of me. I packed my stuff up and went elsewhere to have lunch. Seriously???? If you' re not feeling well or have questionable symptoms, stay home
:bat::fuming:
There is always a chance that he has been tested and it came back negative.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is always a chance that he has been tested and it came back negative.
Yes, the company has a mandatory twice weekly testing for all employees who are on site and I believe they do track who is on site and has been tested or not. Still, it's not all that comforting. He could still have the virus but somehow tested negative whenever his last test was. Someone I work with tested negative whenever he scheduled his test for last week but came down with coronavirus symptoms last weekend and subsequently tested positive at the hospital so he's now in quarantine.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a lot of panic buying going on it's just that huge quantities of toilet paper was the one that made no logical sense. There were a lot of bare shelves but they made sense. Disinfectants, hand soap and hand sanitizer were impossible to find anywhere at anytime for awhile but that made sense. The staples like food made sense, people wanted to make a big buy so they wouldn't have to go back out anytime soon. Huge quantities of toilet paper made no sense. An average size family had no need for a floor to ceiling wall of toilet paper. There are probably people who still have enough to last another year from the panic buying they did when this started.
Some of the hoarding early on was people buying mass quantities of things to resell on ebay, there were a whole lot of listings for TP, masks, and disinfectant. The worst part is people were buying them which only encouraged more of it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't feel comfortable being anywhere near that person so I left to have lunch somewhere else.

When I last went to the supermarket there was plenty of paper goods and off brand hand soap and hand sanitizers available. Cleaning products were still very limited and mostly off brands. I probably won't get to the supermarket until tomorrow afternoon so I'll check what's available. I need to go to BJs at some point soon for more cat litter and stock up on any paper goods available.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately I have always been a cleaning product and soap hoarder. I just have such strong preferences in scents and brands that I buy a lot in case it isn’t made anymore. I have about a years worth of Powerberries bar soap because I love it’s scent and about the same in laundry soap because I only buy it on sale. I have been having issues with liquid hand soap for the last year because the dollar store quit carrying my favorite peach scented soap. I reluctantly switched to soft soap but was thrilled last week to find peach back at the dollar store again. I grabbed eight bottles and will pick up more next week. And I probably have two years worth of Spic and Span Antibacterial spray, also from the dollar store, because it is the only one I can stand the scent of.

I have the space, these are products that don’t go bad and with the virus I am very thankful to have them on hand.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What’s really hard at this time of year is that some of us have allergies and sneeze or cough A dozen times during the day. And of course there is the plain old common cold .
It was a warm day here, and I went to the grocery store. Sudden changes in temperature make me sneeze and can progress to sniffling. It was frigid in the store when I hit the refrigerated section, and I started sneezing. Nobody gave me the stink eye, but I felt like they did.

My oldest was here a few years ago, and I don't know what his problem was, but he loaded up on cleaners of all kinds. I haven't yet used up what he bought, and every time I open a little-used cupboard, I find two or three more items. They are scattered all over the house. So I'm good for cleaners. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going shopping tomorrow, also going to see if I can get an oil change and maybe a haircut, if they're still taking the same precautions as last time. I'll see if anything has changed at the stores in the last couple of weeks.

There were 774 new positives announced today, 536 yesterday, 562 on Wednesday. Which apparently sets a new record for infections vs population :/. And all the hospitals are chock full.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our province is scaling back to "phase 2", implementing some of the previous restrictions that had been lifted, but only in the "hot zones", which are Toronto, Peel and Ottawa. I'm still good here. We did get one new case yesterday, with currently only 4 active cases in my city. But as a whole, our province is seeing daily numbers higher now than during the first wave, anywhere between approximately 700 and 1000, depending on the day, the majority from the three areas I mentioned above.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio's infection rate on testing is back up to 3.9%, it was almost down to 3%. Ohio isn't spiking again like some other states, in this region Wisconsin is having the worst time. We haven't spiked as bad as states around us since this started but we haven't went back down really low either. I read that the increases happening again in the Northeast seems to be coming from family gatherings rather then reopened businesses and workplaces. People are assuming that family that they don't live with are okay and going back to gatherings without precautions.

I got my oil changed this past week. I took some time off from work because I will lose it at the end of the year if I don't take it so I went early on a weekday morning. The guys there were all wearing masks and this place you don't even get out of the car. I am going back to Great Clips for my next trim which I need real soon. I need to have it done every 5 or 6 weeks and the place I was going to is $50.00 with tip and I think that is a lot to pay for a trim. Great Clips is requiring the online checkin and they text 15 minutes before they are ready. They are also enforcing the masks and have the plexiglass shields.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plenty of paper products at the supermarket today. I guess the hoarding of items either hasn't started yet or people got smart after the first wave of panic.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Like I said before, I think the more cases we get, the more people here are rebelling. At Walmart, one of the hairstylists wasn't wearing a mask, and she told the guy whose hair she was doing that he could ditch his if he wanted (and he did). I kept mine on. They did have fresh capes and disinfected stuff in between customers, but I think they were doing that before.

The oil change department guy also wasn't wearing a mask. All the other employees I saw were wearing masks so I assume Walmart is still enforcing that. I know the hairstylists aren't Walmart employees, but I thought the oil change guys were. Hmm. Most customers were wearing masks though.

Plenty of paper products, scarce on the disinfectants but they had some. They even had aerosol disinfectant and Clorox wipes, although not a lot. I don't know if that's what was left or if they only stock a few at a time.

At Costco of course everyone was wearing a mask, they enforce that pretty well. They had some TP, not full shelves, and some was an odd brand they must have gotten a deal on. And they had some off-brand disinfectants too. Everything else seemed fine.

I also went to an Asian grocery, about half the customers were wearing masks, I'd say. The clerk was not, but she did have a plexiglass barrier.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Ohio is spiking again. Governor DeWine admitted he didn't know what had changed that all of the needed precautions are in place. The only thing not in place that he wanted was keeping gyms closed but a court ordered them to be allowed to open. They do have restrictions on number of people in the gym at one time, showers and saunas are closed and equipment is disinfected between people. If they help people lose or keep their weight down that is actually helping with the outcome of this stuff if someone is affected. He said the only thing that could have changed is people are lowering their guard as far as private gatherings which is what is thought to be going on in the Northeast.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said the only thing that could have changed is people are lowering their guard as far as private gatherings which is what is thought to be going on in the Northeast.
That's the big reason for the spread here too. Mostly private gatherings, and lowering your guard. One person who tested positive is said to have had over 100 contacts that needed to be contacted thru tracing. :disappointed:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There really isn't anything a free open society can do about this as far as 'enforcement'. It's going to get worse as it gets colder. At least now people can have gatherings outside which is safer, not safe especially without masks and social distancing, but safer. Soon everything will move completely indoors and that will be worse. Even with restaurants, no more patio dining.