Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My temperature has always been higher than most people. I guess from eating chili peppers that are hotter than ghost chili. But the Vitamin C in the Capascan seems to keep sickness and illness away. So I'm holding off going to a hairdresser as the peppers make my temp so high they'd be calling the ER on me. Ugh
On the health assessment I texted back it was that I didn't have a temperature above 100.4 so at least where I went they made allowances for some people's temperatures naturally being a little high.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Coronavirus did hit close to home for me. My stepmother (who is a nurse, so it was only a matter of time) got a positive test when one of her colleagues was confirmed to have it. She is on the upward end of things now, but it was rough- she never, ever stops, and this knocked her down for about three weeks. She said nothing helped her feel better- no medicine helped. Fortunately, she never had any of the severe respiratory issues- she monitored her oxygen with a pulseox a few times a day. She did lose her sense of smell and hasn't gotten it back. My dad has remained asymptomatic, but thinks he had it back in January of February.

I still haven't fully regained my sense of smell back when I had...whatever it was back in March. I reckon I'm at about 70% of what it should be. I can't smell anything stinky- I almost drank expired milk because it didn't smell off to me. I was never formally diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I had a bout of Corona- again, no major respiratory symptoms, never ran a fever. My husband never got ill or lost his sense of smell.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I might have had a very mild case of it back in March as well. It was just the sniffles, scratchy throat and a bit of a dry cough. I had a weird thing going with my ear on the same side that I had Bell's Palsy years ago. Bell's Palsy is related to inflammation from a virus and I haven't been affected on that side by colds since I had it. I am just curious as to whether I had this and was fortunate to have a very mild case.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before as I haven't read every post but I was thinking, as ghastly as this whole thing is, we're all doing it. I'm in Australia, we have members in the US, UK, Europe, Japan, Korea and probably places I've missed.
It's a dire and disturbing situation and we can't possibly know the extent of our individual experiences, but overall it's unique and in some ways it draws people together. :grouphug:
Our governor has said several times that flattening the curve and not overwhelming the health care system in this state was not anything he did it was what the people in this state did. He has even said that he is so proud of the people of this state. I know it is a little sappy but it is a nice thing for him to say.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the cats I follow on Twitter is Rolf, the Campus Cat. His owner referred to now as “Fat Tail Times”. A perfect description.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to make an early morning grocery trip to pick up flowers for my moms 91st birthday. While I was there I picked up a few things for myself. Paper products aisle has TP and paper towels but I got the last two boxes of Kleenex. I was down one one box at home so I wish I could have picked up more. They also still had a big supply of the 80% alcohol hand sanitizer spray.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's a dire and disturbing situation and we can't possibly know the extent of our individual experiences, but overall it's unique and in some ways it draws people together.
I was thinking along those same lines this morning while looking at the photos posted in a Facebook group, What do you see from your window? There are nearly half a million members from all over the world. Some are posting breathtaking views of exotic locations, while others have captured the very ordinary, but all of them are sharing this surreal experience.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People on Twitter have been saying there was a very nasty flu way back in November/December time, and there was an interesting thread where people were listing the symptoms they had and range of "extremeness" of symptoms, and everyone came to the conclusion (some of the posters have had or are close to people who have had COVID-19 since) that this was an early version of COVID-19, but of course was just written off as seasonal flu at the time since we didn't know the virus existed then.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pictures from my supermarket trip this morning:

20200523_073315[1].jpg

20200523_073354[1].jpg

I keep my friend who lives nearby updated on the stock so she can plan her grocery shopping.

I was shocked that my Instacart shopper found some Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner at Market Basket. Two weeks ago, I was able to get Bounty Paper towels!!!! And Charmin Toilet Paper!! Amazing.

The Chelsea Market Basket? A co-worker shops there and says products are still limited at that location. I think if you go further out of the city supermarkets might be better stocked. I don't know if you can request a specific supermarket through a delivery service.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
People on Twitter have been saying there was a very nasty flu way back in November/December time, and there was an interesting thread where people were listing the symptoms they had and range of "extremeness" of symptoms, and everyone came to the conclusion (some of the posters have had or are close to people who have had COVID-19 since) that this was an early version of COVID-19, but of course was just written off as seasonal flu at the time since we didn't know the virus existed then.
My daughter had a thing like that in January, and her influenza test was negative (she's in her 20's.) She believes it was covid-19, and is waiting for a good, accurate antibody test to see if she has antibodies. Of course she could have been exposed and asymptomatic after that once it got going, but it could give more certainty that she had it!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't put much thought into this until I read this article, and also because I keep sanitizer in my purse and don't leave it in the car but I thought I'd post this before too much misinformation surfaces and people get scared. There are questions about the effectiveness of sanitizer if it gets too hot and also concerns that it can catch fire.
Hand sanitizer poses a risk in a hot car — here’s how to stay safe

So it all boils down to.

Yes, you can still leave it in the car, as the likely hood of your car reaching temperatures where alcohol starts to evaporate are on the low side. Temps would need to reach over 170 degrees. And you will know if this happened because you will see the pressure in the bottle or the cap may have popped.
Yes, it's flammable, but just ensure you keep it out of direct sunlight, so in your glove compartment or something similar.
And if you don't want to take any chances, keep it on your person if you know your car will be unattended/parked in the sun for long periods.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, yeah, at work they issued hand sanitizer to the mail carriers to take on the route. . .and then later put out an email warning not to keep it on their dashboard! I feel like there's a story there, lol.

One of my coworkers says his personal hand sanitizer bottle got warped/melted in the car.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I finally found it all I could find was the GermX in a quart bottle so I take it with me in the car. I take it in the office with me my one day a week and use it after the grocery store or pumping gas. I then take it back in with me.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meat prices have gone up considerably. I've heard a lot about that, because the amount going to the farmers is at a record LOW, even though consumer meat prices are high. So Somebody in the middle is taking advantage. . .
There's been a push on Facebook here to start buying meat straight from local farmers. That's how my parents get their beef every year and I'm currently looking for a way to start buying whole chickens from someone. Maybe pork as well but I don't really eat a lot of that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah someone here is trying to make it easier too. There are a lot of laws about private butchers, which I'm glad for because of food safety, but I think they need to be tweaked a bit to make things easier. It has always been that you could buy a whole/half/quarter share in a meat animal and have everything done by the custom butcher, the problem is finding someone to buy the animal from and someone else to go in with you if you only want a half/quarter. So they want to set up a co-op so it's easier to find those people. It can only be an improvement, really.

The freezer industry will be glad too ;).

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure wish people would stop hoarding the toilet paper where I live because our shelves have not been stocked with more then 5 packages a week for months.

And actually hand sanitizer in a hot car will indeed cause a fire. That almost happened to me 5 years ago when I was given hand sanitizer for doing food demos and I left it in the car between the demos.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are some farms here in Ohio, a couple in Central Ohio that offer their own raised meat by the cut rather then buying a side. It is the family farm type of places which means grass fed beef, pastured pork and free range poultry. You are limited to what they have at the time but they do always have meat, or least used to have before this started. They are more expensive though by quite a bit.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe one of the “side effects” of this will be that people will start eating less meat? Meat overconsumption indirectly causes more deaths than any virus. I’m always astounded how selective people are about fear for their health.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe one of the “side effects” of this will be that people will start eating less meat? Meat overconsumption indirectly causes more deaths than any virus. I’m always astounded how selective people are about fear for their health.
Most of my meat consumption is chicken and seafood (in KS we don’t get a lot of good seafood but I eat it when I can!). We always have a lot of beef around my parents house but I almost never cook it myself or choose to eat it aside from the odd hamburger.

That said, this has definitely cut down my meat consumption altogether and now that we’ve got a garden started I have lots of good veggies on the horizon haha.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another plus is that custom butchered beef is more grass-fed (probably not 100% though) because they're generally pulled before they're sent to the feedlot. So that's healthier too. Baby steps.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a rancher around this part of the country (Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho) that has switched to selling his bison/buffalo meat (he used to sell to restaurants) to regular people. He ships via FedEx, two days shipping. He's trying to survive this way. He seems a little expensive, but it's survival. I saw this on Facebook. If I need meat I may consider it!