Cornish Rex fur question

Mocharuns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, we have a Cornish Rex cat, 9 months old. This is our first Cornish Rex cat, so I am unsure of their coat. His coat is scarce back of his neck, under his chin, his back and a part of his tail. When we were at the vet we had him tested for ringworm, which came back negative. He is otherwise very healthy. The vet thought his fur might still grow in. We contacted the breeder, who asked if we have been petting him heavily - we are not. She asked if he was wearing sweaters or grooms himself a lot, he is not. She said he will be dark red all over. I will post 4 pictures, the first 2 were when he was younger and has a full red coat. The last 2 pictures show where his fur is sparse.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous!

I don't breed or own Cornish Rex, so I am definitely not an expert, but I see a lot of them at shows. With the rex breeds, even a lot of show cats can have sparse coats. It looks like he still has some coat on his back (I think I see some rexing in the picture), it's just not as full as it could be?

My guess would be the same as your vet's, it might grow in. Cats go through many developmental stages when they are growing up. Some of the rex breeds have a tendency to "molt" (drop a lot of coat and then grow coat later), although I don't know how often this happens with Cornish Rex. My cats are not rex breeds, but they also tend to shed out a lot of coat when they are teenagers like your cat. I would wait and see, as long as he seems otherwise healthy.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, it looks like you have a very interesting combination of cat breeds in the picture there! Are they all yours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mocharuns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they are all ours. The 2 European Burmese are 13 and 15 yrs old. We bought the Cornish Rex to play with our Egyptian Mau and because my daughter is less allergic to the Cornish Rex. She can hold him near her face. Funny they really don’t play that much. The Egyptain Mau likes to play by herself with her toys. Out all all our cats, my favorite is the Rex. He is super sweet!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cornish Rex cats that I have met have definitely been lovebugs! :redheartpump:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's the beginning of shedding season. Many cats lose coat over the summer, it's just more noticeable on Rexes than Maine Coons for example. As long as your kitty doesn't have sores or patchy skin I'd wait until fall at least to see if the coat grows back in.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some Rex breeds moult, or have soft easily damaged hair. Itching from fleas or allergies could cause broken sparse fur. Hormones can sometimes cause a molt. Coats can take some time to mature. Most Rex breeds have stable coats, some rex Mutations may not be as stable I don’t know specific ins and outs for any specific breeds.