Cornbread - Yay or Nay?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had skillet cornbread, though, only baked in the oven.
It's a yay for me, too. I also think those Jiffy packages are the best. I never liked my mother's cornbread because she didn't put any sugar in it. Skillet cornbread is baked in the oven, too. Mother used to heat up the iron skillet with a little bacon fat in it, then pour the batter into the pan, and then put it in the oven to bake. Pouring it into the hot skillet gives it a nice crust, and letting the batter rest a few minutes makes the cornbread higher.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it too. Especially the Jiffy Mix. Cornbread is definitely better when fresh--it doesn't seem to reheat well, but as others have said, it's good with chili (whether fresh or not).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love it! I prefer it with buttermilk and a bit of sweetness. The best I’ve ever had was from a skillet at this country, family style place. You chose your meat or meats and they bring a variety of sides they set on your table family-style. You never know what they will have. So I didn’t get the cornbread the next visit (or the homemade pickles) and I was pretty bummed about that!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like cornbread made with corn and especially with chili and vegetable soup. I also like hush puppies and corn muffins. My mother used to make the Jiffy mix when I was a kid. It cost 10 cents a pack back then. I'm live in assisted living and they serve a lot of corn bread, hush puppies and corn muffins here.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know...I assume I would like it but I don't think I've ever tried it...unless when I was a child and don't remember...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corn bread is ok but some are definitely better than others. I've had some that are too sugary with a hard sugar topping on top too boot. Then there are the ones that are some combination of too dry, too dense, too bland.
I've definitely had some that are too dry and dense. I don't mind too sweet, though!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thing about whether or not cornbread has sugar in it seems to be a regional thing. I know a lot of people in and from the deep south think that sugar in cornbread is horrible and doesn't qualify as cornbread. It seems like when someone does the cast iron skillet method it tends to not have sugar in it and that type usually involves bacon drippings as well. I grew up in Kansas and people around where I grew up came from both camps, some with and some without sugar, some used a cast iron skillet and some didn't.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like cornbread in general. I love a really good cornbread: a bit grainy, crumbly, not cake-like, a little sweet but not too much, a little crispy on the sides. Mmmm! With chili is best although just plain with butter is fine too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided all this talk of cornbread, meant I should make some. Actually made muffins, which turned out good.

I used a recipe I found online that called for maple syrup.
Maple Cornbread Muffins Recipe

Substituted canola oil for the melted butter. And didn't bother with the maple butter.

1627932584626.png

IMG_3735.jpg

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Cornbread is always a yay!

I have tried this extremely unconventional cornbread recipe before and it's pretty good.

Scalloped Cornbread

16.5-ounce can whole corn

16.5-ounce can cream corn

2 eggs beaten

1 cup sour cream

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 package Jiffy corn bread mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into 13-by-9-inch pan. Bake 1 hour.

To change flavor depending on what your serving the bread with, you can add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cornbread is always a yay!

I have tried this extremely unconventional cornbread recipe before and it's pretty good.

Scalloped Cornbread

16.5-ounce can whole corn

16.5-ounce can cream corn

2 eggs beaten

1 cup sour cream

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 package Jiffy corn bread mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into 13-by-9-inch pan. Bake 1 hour.

To change flavor depending on what your serving the bread with, you can add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives.
We call that corn pudding. It's delicious.