Corn silk dosage?

kutoja1987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Does anybody know whether I can use the (adult?) human dosage of this corn silk extract I bought from my local nature food shop on Silky? He's about 4.7 kilos at the moment. The instructions on the bottle are as follows: "1 ml of extract = about 1500 mg of the fresh plant. Dosage: 15-20 drops 2-3 times a day with a small amount of water". Or, if that's too much, how much should he be on? *is clueless*

The extract was something I had to special.order: as far as I know, virtually nobody grows corn in Finland (at least not commercially), and the shop wasn't able to get me the dried version, let alone capsules or powders.

Thanks in advance!

Kutoja

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, what are you giving the corn silk for? I have heard of it used for bladder inflammation in cats but not much else.

The general dosing for the dried powder form is 50mg up to 4 times a day. I do not know the dosage for the liquid version. If it's in an alcohol base, it would need to be diluted or allowed to evaporate since alcohol isn't good for cats. Also, the general rule of thumb is to use 1/10th of the human dosage for cats, but again, I'm so not familiar with the product that you mention that I'm not comfortable recommending that.

I would suggest joining the Yahoo FLUTD group. They have the most experience collectively using corn silk on cats. Oh, and another option is to use fresh corn silk and make a tea of it if you can't get it in any other safe form. Again, details at the Yahoo FLUTD group.