Corn based kitty litter and aflatoxin

lulu1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just purchased a well known corn based clumping kitty litter for my new kitten (who is still with her foster parents). I had used only non-clumping clay kitty litter with my first kitty who passed away a month ago so have no experience with this new litter.

I had read online that corn and other grain based litter is susceptible to growth of aflatoxin and now I am concerned about its safety for my kittens as well as for us humans at home.

Has anyone had negative experience with corn based litter and if so, what was it?

Thanks for any input on this subject.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just purchased a well known corn based clumping kitty litter for my new kitten (who is still with her foster parents). I had used only non-clumping clay kitty litter with my first kitty who passed away a month ago so have no experience with this new litter.

I had read online that corn and other grain based litter is susceptible to growth of aflatoxin and now I am concerned about its safety for my kittens as well as for us humans at home.

Has anyone had negative experience with corn based litter and if so, what was it?

I've talked to many people who use corn based litter like world's best with no ill effects except a) some people don't like the corn smell, b) some people don't like the odor control, and c) some cats don't like the litter but if you and kitty are happy, then yay, carry on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We  have used corn based litter for the past 10  years with no ill effects on any of my cats.  We now mix World's Best with Blue Buffalo walnut litter and it works great in combination to clump well and to control odor. 

mymila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I bought a bag after being told it was hypoallergenic.
My cat refused to use it. They say there is no dust..
Well, when I emptied the box there was a lot of dust at the bottom .
I have been looking for a good hypoallergenic and unscented litter.
I can't believe how hard it is to find in Canada.
My cat is always itchy and looks to me its from the litter.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to look at silica based crystals. Chemically inert, dust free, last a very long time.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best and have never had any issues. It's the litter I prefer as I despise clay. My kitten was started on it when he was 10 weeks and so far so good. I scoop every time he uses it, however. Nothing stays in there for anymore than a couple hours.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
From what I understand, bags of corn-based litter are processed to eliminate the moisture necessary for the fungus (Aspergillus flavus) that produces aflatoxins. Once you get it home it's another story - it needs to be kept in a dry location and the box scooped frequently so that no moisture hangs around.

The corn litter should have a dry corn smell but if it smells musty, that may be an indication that fungal growth is present. Return it if a newly opened bag smells musty or toss it if the musty smell develops after you've had it for awhile.

I've used World's Best for years and never had a problem but I just opened a new bag last night and the added fragrance almost knocked me over. That's new for this particular formulation of WBCL and I really hope they have not started adding strong fragrances to all of their product line. If my bag was musty, I'm not sure I could smell it over the scent of perfume.