Copycat Friskies Shreds?

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snickers LOVES Friskies Shreds and gobbles up my homemade when there's a think layer of Shreds on top. Is there anything I can do to may my homemade as appealing? I've tried a ton of different treat toppers, varying the amounts of ingredients (within the recipe's range), different temperatures, different places to eat, etc. The only thing I haven't tried yet is FortiFlora, because it's kind of expensive just to try out.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that Friskies would divulge their recipe for the "artificial and natural flavors" ingredient, which makes the food particularly yummy to kitties. :p

Every cat is so different that I'm not sure there is a "miracle topper". My kitten likes unseasoned cracklins, so I mince bits of trimmed fat and skin and melt the fat off slowly in a non-stick pan and drain solids on paper towel. I keep a tiny little Tupperware container in the fridge for when she's being picky girl.

When my senior is fussy, he likes canned food mixed with his raw, so I keep a few canned "ice cubes" in the freezer.

You could just freeze small "globs" of the Friskies shreds to use for Snickers' toppers, without wasting any food.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a preference for the texture? Though I'm sure the artificial and natural flavors play a big role! Is your homemade ground or in chunks?

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you ever figure out what the substance is that Friskies uses, I'd like to know too. That stuff is like crack to my cats.

If you want something more convenient, you might try my cats' favorite toppers: the dust from the bottom of any bag of freeze dried raw food and Bragg's nutritional yeast.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Spam? Liver?

But seriously I don't know what is in the mystery meat they put in that stuff and it's probably best to keep it that way. Legally that mystery meat can come from any mammal including zoo animals and euthanized shelter pets.