Coping with grief cat death

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my cat of 15 years has terminal cancer , l have a couple more days left with her at home and then on monday l have to take her to the vet to have her put to sleep, l am dreading monday when l have to take her to the vet and how l am going to cope, l would rather she passed away at home but she is not eating anymore so l guess its kinder to take her to the vet to go to sleep , but l feel guilty taking her to her death, anyone been in the same situation

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this!

My 17 year old kitty, Jasmine, was put down due to cancer. One day she was fine, then the next day her stomach ballooned up and she wouldn't eat anything. I called the vet and had an appointment next day as that was the soonest I could get her in. I knew in my heart when I made the call this was the end, and that I would very likely not be bringing her home.

Her abdomen was full of cancerous fluid from her intestines. The vet said they could drain it but it would come back. She would slowly starve to death or suffocate. I chose to end her life before she had to suffer more.

I had her since 9 weeks. She was my best friend. A constant in my life. My rock. This was almost November 2018 and writing this the tears flow just as much as they did then.

It's so hard. I'm thankful in some ways that it was a sudden onset for us so I didn't have to dread the lead up. Still, I sometimes wish I had those extra few days to make her last days special. But I know that asking for those days would have been selfish.

You will always have that "what if" in the back of your mind wondering if you made the right choice. You can't do that to yourself. Letting them go peacefully and preventing long term suffering is the last act of kindness, the last gift we can give them.

Give her lots of hugs, and hold her until the end.

I'm sorry you are losing your friend. :heartshape:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have. It’s not easy and it hurts. But you’ve got to do what’s best for your cat. If you stress out, your cat will pick up on that. Remain calm, confident and loving so your cat’s last days are as stress free as possible. You can fall apart and cry afterwards.

Feeling guilty is part of it. But you have your cat fifteen good years. That’s something to feel good about.

Afterwards, take time to mourn. The loss is real.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are in this position. What you are feeling is normal. I've said goodbye twice once unexpectedly to my young cat. And once to my loyal old dog. Yes guilt does creep in, even though you know deep down that your doing it to stop their suffering. Keep that in mind it is a act of kindness not to let them suffer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thankyou for your support, the hardest part is going to have to take her to the vet on monday and say goodbye , it would be easier if she just passed away at home , but the vet said the kindest thing to do is to take her in to be put to sleep

michelle3370

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my gosh please try not to feel guilty. I know it is hard. You are helping her by ending her suffering and pain. This is a selfless act on your part. I lost my cat Monkey 7 weeks ago and I tried to relax so I wouldnt stress him out. I drank alot of water so I wouldnt cry and upset him at the vet's office. (of course I still did) Give you baby so much love and so many cuddles this weekend. God Bless

Robert Lee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello my cat of 15 years has terminal cancer , l have a couple more days left with her at home and then on monday l have to take her to the vet to have her put to sleep, l am dreading monday when l have to take her to the vet and how l am going to cope, l would rather she passed away at home but she is not eating anymore so l guess its kinder to take her to the vet to go to sleep , but l feel guilty taking her to her death, anyone been in the same situation
Jimbo this maybe to late but do not feel guilty. I lost my ba boo Thursday August 18/22 I did not take him to the vet I tried to save him but he died on my living room floor in unimaginable pain. I should have took him to the Vet now I have to live the guilt forever. You did the right thing ,you did the right thing. 🙏