Cool Whip!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do grocery stores insist on keeping this in the freezer?

This drives me batty!
I cannot use it for certain recipes immediately, because I have to let it sit for hours in the 'fridge to thaw.

I get that some folks like their Cool Whip frozen, but it should not be sold frozen. It takes less time to freeze up than it does to thaw. It's supposed to be a 'fridgerator item, with the other whipped cream products, not a frozen item with the ice creams. I ended up running around this morning just to find the one store that actually keeps it in the refrigerated section... gah!

grrrrrrumble grumble grumble

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I keep a tub of Cool Whip on hand for when a recipe specifically calls for it. And then I get it out of the freezer the night before I plan to use it. We're not overly fond of Cool Whip around here, although it does have its uses.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use much Cool Whip. I do have a Pineapple Pie recipe that I cover the top with. When I know I am making it, I take the Cook Whip from the freezer the night before and put it in the refrigerator. It does add a lot to my pie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use it very often either, so I don't keep it at home. Which means when I do want it, I usually need it ready to use immediately, not frozen off the shelf.

Mixed a certain way with pudding, it makes a neat pseudo-mousse for fruit or a nice fluffy topping for jello shots. :p

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we could set it down in a container of hot water to thaw, couldn't we?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
debbila debbila Not hot water. Cold water.

Try one of these ideas: How To Thaw Cool Whip: 4 Ways

Refrigerator – If you have the time and patience, the best way to thaw Cool Whip is to put it in the refrigerator for about 4-5 hours until thawed. This will ensure safety and help maintain its intended texture.

Counter Top – This method is not recommended but we are putting it out there. Thawing Cool Whip at room temperature can be dangerous if you leave it sitting out too long. Cool Whip contains both skimmed milk and cream, which can spoil quickly at temperatures above 40°F. Two hours is the maximum you should leave dairy at room temperature. One hour is the maximum if the room temperature is above 90°F. People who have thawed Cool Whip on the counter have complained of texture issues.

Microwave – You can press that rarely used defrost button on your microwave if you are short on time. Place the Cool Whip in the microwave without the lid. Defrost the Cool Whip for 30 seconds, remove it and give it stir, and then pop it back in the refrigerator for another 30 seconds. Keep repeating these steps until thawed. Depending on your microwave, it may take about 2.5 to 3 minutes to thaw. The texture won’t be as great as if it were refrigerated thawed but when in a pinch this method does a decent job.

Water – Fill a large bowl with cold water. The bowl should be large enough to accommodate the sealed Cool Whip container. Add the container to the water and let the Cool Whip float for 30-40 minutes. After 30-40 minutes the Cool Whip should be about ready for use.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it melts into goo if it gets too warm, so I suppose keeping it in the freezer is the only way to keep it from goo-ifying on the way home. I bet they'd have some thawed in the fridge section if it were possible.

Cool Whip is all right, but real whipped cream is the best!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We like to make a double large box recipe of strawberry Jell-O, using about 1/2 C. less water. Once it's set, we run it through a food mill with the coarse blade. Mix it with a 12 oz. tub of Cool Whip and bliss out. It tastes much like strawberry shortcake. We call it Jell-O Fluff. We noted that other brands of gelatin don't have enough flavor, so it has to be Jell-O.

Cool Whip will shrink and dehydrate if only stored in the fridge for a long time. Too long in the freezer does the same thing. There's nothing more repulsive than rubber Cool Whip.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say you use a double large box recipe of jello, do you mean 2 large boxes or 1? Would a food processor work in place of a food mill for chopping it up? I like the sound of this dessert, thank you for the recipe!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We use two large boxes of Jell-O. One box just leaves you frustrated and wanting more. A food processor might chop it too finely. It may also generate too much heat and melt the Jell-O. You can push it through a colander or break it up with a couple of forks. The latter seems to take forever, though.

We've considered other flavors of Jell-O, but we can't think of any that would have enough flavor. Perhaps cherry, but I think raspberry wouldn't taste right. The same with blueberry. I've wondered if orange would taste like a dreamsickle. You might have to add a bit of orange flavoring or some Tang to make it strong enough. The thought of using grape is totally off-putting.

Warning, a big bowl full isn't enough. It's better after it chills but we usually don't have the strength to wait for the first taste.

Let me know how you like it and if you try other flavors.

I have a couple other recipes that are just a tad more work but are also delicious. Let me know if you'd like them.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I'm going to make it with strawberry Jello and maybe cherry after that. I posted a recipe called Poof. You might like it, it's made with Jello and ice cream.

Yes post the other recipes. I make desserts with Stevia instead of sugar since BF and I have diabetes.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What on earth is Cool Whip? (Am in the UK, have never used a recipe that required me to use such a thing, frozen or thawed...) :D

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I'm going to make it with strawberry Jello and maybe cherry after that. I posted a recipe called Poof. You might like it, it's made with Jello and ice cream.

Yes post the other recipes. I make desserts with Stevia instead of sugar since BF and I have diabetes.
Did you know Cool Whip makes a sugar-free product? Of course, regular Cool Whip's sugar is negligible.

Here are a couple of others you might enjoy.

Pistachio Ambrosia
From the Kitchen of Jackie Vaughan
March 17, 2010

1 sm. package instant pistachio pudding

1-16 to 20 oz. can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, undrained

1-8 oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained

1 C. shredded or flaked coconut

1 C. walnuts or pecans, in ¼” chunks (crisped preferred)

12 to 16 oz. Cool Whip

1 C. mini-marshmallows

Green food color, few drops (optional)

In a large bowl mix together both of the pineapples and stir the pudding in. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine the nuts and coconut. Fold into mix. Blend in the whipped cream and marshmallows. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.

This recipe is so good, it’s a waste of time to make a single batch.

Cherry Yum-Yum
From the kitchen of Jackie Vaughan
May 19, 2005

1 lg. (20 oz.) can extra fruit cherry pie filling

1 sm. flat can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained well

1 (12 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed

1 C. sour cream

1 1/2 C. pecans, chopped (preferably crisped)

Combine all ingredients and chill well. Share only if you must. Makes about 6 servings.

NOTE: When I had to make this sugar-free for my mom, I would use a sack of frozen unsweetened dark sweet cherries. I added a small amount of water to a saucepan with the cherries and sweetened them with fructose and thickened them with a bit of cornstarch. Perfect pie filling without sugar.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made the Pistachio Ambrosia for many years. We call it Watergate Salad where I'm from on the east coast. The Cherry Yum Yum sounds good. Who would think pineapple and cherries would be good together. Have you made this one?