Cooking In Raw Diets

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm going to make another Raw food soon, I made few mistakes in this one I'm using.
In catinfo recipe, there was mentioned that u should cook the meat a bit before putting them all together. I think here where I went wrong.
I did not cook the meat at all before mixing them together.
"
  • Bake (at 350 degrees) the chicken/turkey thighs leaving ~50% of the thigh meat raw. (The time needed varies depending on how thick the thighs are but is usually ~15 – 20 minutes, give or take.) I add all of the fat drippings to the ground meat/bones/skin/liver/eggs.
  • The liver is cooked for about 20 minutes. ~10 minutes into the time, I stir/break up the liver to ensure even cooking throughout. I cook the liver more than the thighs because bacteria does not reside in the depths of the thigh meat but, instead, lives on the surface. The liver, on the other hand, has a higher chance of having bacterial contamination throughout. Plus, one of my own cats because extremely ill (horrible vomiting and diarrhea) after eating raw liver that was fed within 1 hour of being purchased….with current/fresh dating."
I will have a rabbit so I need to cook 50% of its meat? I use a microwave so 10 or 20 mins will be too much.

any instructions please ?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never cooked the raw meat at all. I get it frozen from Hare Today, so there's very little worry about bacteria since they freeze it immediately after grinding. Sometimes when a cat tries a new food, they can get digestive upset, so maybe starting with smaller amounts until they're digestive system gets used to it.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I disagree with Dr. Pierson on this topic, and do not cook the meat when making batches.

If you do decide to partially cook, follow her directions and make sure you do NOT cook any of the bone.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't cook my cats' food at all either. I started feeding raw in 2008 using Dr. Pierson's recipe, and back then she didn't cook it either, except for a sort of odd thing with pressure canning the raw food. Not sure what happened...she must have had a cat get salmonella poisoning or something. Anyway...

Cooked bones become brittle and can cause intestinal perforations. You absolutely do not want to cook cat food in the microwave if it contains bones (if you're going to cook it at all). I think Pierson has determined the amount and temperature of regular oven times that kill the bacteria on the outer layer of the meat, but not hot or long enough to cook the bones at all.

I wouldn't cook it, personally.