Cooking for One

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Rick's big thing with the chicken was chicken legs (he likes dark meat) that he breaded with seasoned Bisquick (there's Bisquick again! 
), then placed in a greased oblong pan. Baked the chicken for a while, then made drop biscuits with the Bisquick and put them in the pan. Baked a while, then topped the chicken legs with some peach halves. Sometimes he threw in some carrots, too. I think it is a Bisquick recipe, but I don't remember. I know we ate a lot of it when I was working and going to classes. A lot of it.  He also did something with fish fillets that he breaded and threw in a pan, with potatoes and green beans. Easy clean-up, which is what he was looking for, too. There were three of us and it worked out pretty well, quantity-wise. He was good with that pan! 

My GF does foil packets on the grill...they're not bad at all.
That sounds good. I like the thighs. I have made seasoned Bisquick breaded chicken too but not in ages. The biscuits and peaches sound yummy! I'd have to wait until DD goes off on her own though. She wouldn't eat that. Miss picky pants. 

I have made potatoes in foil packets on the grill. Those are good!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was kinda thinking more about the pots and pans angle of it...I can generally manage to wash one plate and one fork...even the occasional knife,  Although...setting the foil packet on the plate would even make that easier.

I use Grammarly.  It tells me that I use too many ellipses...
At home, I usually also use one plate and fork/spoon.  At work I almost exclusively use a paper plate lined in foil.  Neither my boss nor I ever think to take the break room towels home to launder, so I go disposable there.  I usually take leftovers to work wrapped in foil to pop into the toaster oven.  Nasty towels.

I definitely line my bake pans with foil for baking/broiling.  Occasionally, I've wondered about the aluminum-Alzheimer's link.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 One called for corn on the cob but I hated getting the oil that was coating everything on my fingers so I switched to ordinary corn.
Last year I discovered the easiest corn on the cob recipe ever.  Preheat toaster oven (or regular) to 350.  Throw the entire ear of corn into the oven, husk, silk and all.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Let sit 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.  Butter and enjoy!  The silk comes off the ear very easily after the corn is baked.  No picking stringy bits.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have made sliced potatoe tin foil packet thingy on the grill. In the grocery store they sell these spice packets to use. you slice the potatoes-get some oil and add the spices-mix it up-lay out the tin foil and brush the area with that mixture-add potatoes-add more mixture-tuck it up so no air gets out. grill for 20 min on low/med. I like to cook them longer because we like crispy critters. The nice thing is I make the packets one serving size and also don't let them sit in the packet longer than cooking-otherwise the potatoes soak up the oil and get nasty. But if I slice them thin enough they almost come out like potato chips..and fresh organic ketchup without that HFCS and they are HEAVEN! Oh man I am still hungry! And I ate my lunch already..chicken n broccoli but it's not filling me up!!! WHERE'S MY CARBS??!! Oh I def have to make some of these this weekend with the warmer weather.

I have done all kinds of things in packets on the grill..no pans to wash. easy clean up and TASTY yummy!!! And of course nothing like fresh grilled Ribeye steaks!! Thanks for the ideas ladies! I think I know what real food we will eat this weekend! Jon is going insane with my salads..every night for a week now nothing but salad...
  (but got pizza two nights ago)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have made sliced potatoe tin foil packet thingy on the grill. In the grocery store they sell these spice packets to use. you slice the potatoes-get some oil and add the spices-mix it up-lay out the tin foil and brush the area with that mixture-add potatoes-add more mixture-tuck it up so no air gets out. grill for 20 min on low/med. I like to cook them longer because we like crispy critters. The nice thing is I make the packets one serving size and also don't let them sit in the packet longer than cooking-otherwise the potatoes soak up the oil and get nasty. But if I slice them thin enough they almost come out like potato chips..and fresh organic ketchup without that HFCS and they are HEAVEN! Oh man I am still hungry! And I ate my lunch already..chicken n broccoli but it's not filling me up!!! WHERE'S MY CARBS??!! Oh I def have to make some of these this weekend with the warmer weather.

I have done all kinds of things in packets on the grill..no pans to wash. easy clean up and TASTY yummy!!! And of course nothing like fresh grilled Ribeye steaks!! Thanks for the ideas ladies! I think I know what real food we will eat this weekend! Jon is going insane with my salads..every night for a week now nothing but salad...
  (but got pizza two nights ago)
Yum. Now I want a ribeye too. Grilled rare with a light sprinkling of sea salt. Those potatoes sound good too. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwww, stop! I want a ribeye! A large, thick ribeye. Done blood rare, please, with the sea salt. With a baked potato, slathered with butter. And a Ceasar salad, extra heavy on the dressing. And a large margarita to wash it all down.

Dessert? Oh what the heck.....a humongous slab of white coconut cake. 

(And a cup of coffee. Black. No sugar, no cream....I'm on a diet.)

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Last year I discovered the easiest corn on the cob recipe ever.  Preheat toaster oven (or regular) to 350.  Throw the entire ear of corn into the oven, husk, silk and all.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Let sit 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.  Butter and enjoy!  The silk comes off the ear very easily after the corn is baked.  No picking stringy bits.
It's even faster in the microwave
Just pop the entire unhusked ear of corn into the microwave and heat for about 3 minutes on high power. Carefully remove with pot holders or a folded towel, let cool a bit, cut off the stem end, and squeeze the corn out of the husk.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...rowave-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-205204

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just pop the entire unhusked ear of corn into the microwave and heat for about 3 minutes on high power. Carefully remove with pot holders or a folded towel, let cool a bit, cut off the stem end, and squeeze the corn out of the husk.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...rowave-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-205204
I don't cook much in the microwave...although it may be an urban myth that nuking foods destroys nutrients, just like the fear that aluminum foil or pans contribute to Alzheimer's.

An exception is when I go on a several-day popcorn binge.  Throw a small handful of popcorn into a brown paper lunch bag, roll the top down a couple times, air pop in the microwave, then salt and drown in melted butter.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yes it works this way. The trick is to make sure the ear is still tight. the tightly wound fingers so to speak trap the moisture in it and steam cook it. Comes out perfect! you can let it sit for five minutes after and it's still hot. unlike boiling where it cools off way too fast!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Awwwwww, stop! I want a ribeye! A large, thick ribeye. Done blood rare, please, with the sea salt. With a baked potato, slathered with butter. And a Ceasar salad, extra heavy on the dressing. And a large margarita to wash it all down.

Dessert? Oh what the heck.....a humongous slab of white coconut cake. 

(And a cup of coffee. Black. No sugar, no cream....I'm on a diet.)
they have a supreme ceasar Salad kit in the salad section...it all comes in the pack. Just get one of those..that's what I have been living on all week driving mr Picky Pants bonkers.

oh yes he loves baked potatoes but not me. yuck. Give me fries or something like that.

We have a small meat market next town over Author's and they have the BEST meats...yep we like our meat rare too. Jon prefers it=me I like it a hair from medium to rare=and for me give me rice. I put the steak over a bed of rice and the juices flavor the rice=don't forget the butter and salt/pepper to enhance that beef flavor into the rice but if the steak has a good streak of fat in it you won't need the butter but I still use it. It gives it a nice flavor.

Did I tell you I LOVE butter??

And I would love to try that Coconut Cake..love coconut!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

they have a supreme ceasar Salad kit in the salad section...it all comes in the pack. Just get one of those..that's what I have been living on all week driving mr Picky Pants bonkers.

oh yes he loves baked potatoes but not me. yuck. Give me fries or something like that.

We have a small meat market next town over Author's and they have the BEST meats...yep we like our meat rare too. Jon prefers it=me I like it a hair from medium to rare=and for me give me rice. I put the steak over a bed of rice and the juices flavor the rice=don't forget the butter and salt/pepper to enhance that beef flavor into the rice but if the steak has a good streak of fat in it you won't need the butter but I still use it. It gives it a nice flavor.

Did I tell you I LOVE butter??

And I would love to try that Coconut Cake..love coconut!
I love those caesar salad kits! I had one for dinner last night 

I usually don't eat potatoes with steak. Sometimes salad but usually nothing. The furkids help me eat the steak. It's Sophie's favorite people food. Lily loves it too though. Ribeyes are on sale at Publix this week. I think I need to grab one tomorrow 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my local grocers is running packer briskets for $1.77/lb.  I'm going to get one, plus a couple for the deep freeze, and pretend that I have the budget for rib eye steak. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Ribeye sounds so good.... baked potato with sour cream, butter, salt and pepper... do not need anything else...heaven!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That does look good and easy but the "dressing" part of it sounds like it would be awfully dry or as someone commented on the recipe "crouton-y". I wonder if putting all that stuff into a bowl after and adding a little warm low sodium chicken stock would make it more "dressing-y". It's a good idea though. Some potatoes or sweet potatoes would be good with it too. 
yes, i agree! i was trying to find a good sheet pan recipe that has just a meat and veggies, but wasn't able to find one earlier. it's the sheet pan recipes with a meat and potatoes and some other veggie(s) that interest me. i'm not much of a stuffing fan these days, i prefer veggies......or starchy veggies like potatoes, or sweet potatoes 

i do love croutons on a tossed salad though! i make my croutons from a recipe, they've got a cajun spice mixture baked into them too. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I only have a couple of recipes that involve a foil packet but I have enjoyed the ease of them.  It really depends on what food you put in it though.  One called for corn on the cob but I hated getting the oil that was coating everything on my fingers so I switched to ordinary corn.  It's almost like those Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls, you have everything you want in one packet.

<snip>
thank you! i think i'll look around the internet for a foil packet recipe that interests me, then try it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

thank you! i think i'll look around the internet for a foil packet recipe that interests me, then try it!
Try the Kraft site.  I found LOTS of them on there!

And now I'm drooling, and with nothing really fascinating in the freezer or the fridge.  I shall make do.  Last night, I had a lovely tomato stew, which just sounds more polite than, "I scarfed down a bowl of pasta sauce 'cause I was too lazy to cook the pasta."

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And now I'm drooling, and with nothing really fascinating in the freezer or the fridge.  I shall make do.  Last night, I had a lovely tomato stew, which just sounds more polite than, "I scarfed down a bowl of pasta sauce 'cause I was too lazy to cook the pasta."
Tomato stew sounds very classy indeed! 

I am too. I still have visions of a rare ribeye running through my head.. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I have a recipe for a stewed tomato dish. With dumplings. I really need to try that some time. (Rick would probably mutiny, though.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I have a recipe for a stewed tomato dish. With dumplings. I really need to try that some time. (Rick would probably mutiny, though.)
Add ground beef to the dish, and put cheese in the dumplings.  He'll eat it.  They ALL eat it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you.  I just processed a pork roast, mainly for pet food, and kept 6 small chunks out to stir-fry with potatoes and veggies for lunch.  I'm making pork broth with the bone for future pinto beans...but I'm out of pinto beans.  I may be eating "Pork Bone Soup" for dinner tonight.  lol