Cooking for One

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH! About those eggs...sometimes we use a dozen by the "sell by" date, sometimes we don't. To check your eggs, place in a deep bowl (I use my stew pot, actually), and cover completely with water. If they float, they've gone bad. If they sit flat on the bottom, they're very fresh. If they are STARTING to rise, but part of the egg is still touching the bottom, USE SOON!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother Earth News once did an experiment, and even store-bought eggs never went bad on them in the year-long experiment, unless they had a crack. Eggs are pretty good at protecting the insides. They said that as long as it smells OK when you crack it, it's fine. And they also start to evaporate in the shell after a while, and probably most people don't want to use them then either. They don't recommend using older eggs for raw applications, but then consuming raw eggs is always a bit risky.

The reason older eggs float is that air seeps through the shell gradually. It doesn't mean they're rotten, just old.

Magda_Mimosa

Magda Loves Kitties More Then We Love Magda
Kitten
Purraise
I do not cook much for myself anymore, too many dishes. However, I have a marvelous recipe for morning bloody marys. The secret is all in the celery salt. It makes mornings by yourself so much easier. I used to prepare earl grey and have some toast with jam. I wake up early, my mother said mornings were made for opportunities. But she didn't tell me the nights where for regrets LOL.

• 3 cups tomato juice
  • ¾ cup (6 ounces) vodka
  • ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons Tabasco
  • ½ teaspoon celery salt
  • 4 pepperoncini peppers plus 1 tablespoon of the brine
  • black pepper
  • 4 stalks celery ( I like to use some cucumber too for some freshness )

In a large pitcher, combine the tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, hot sauce, celery salt, pepperoncini brine, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Serve over ice with the celery stalks and cucumber and pepperoncini, easy pizzy!

If you're like me and still a little slow in the morning, don't hesitate to make it in a bunch, it stores well in the freezer!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magda_Mimosa Magda_Mimosa , since I have some friends who drink alcohol and some who don't, I mixed up a batch without the vodka. I can add it later for those who do! THANKS! It's GREAT!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reviving this poor old thread once again. This isn't JUST for those who live alone, though. When you fry bacon, save the drippings. One of the best ways to do this is to pour them off into an ice cube tray. Stick it in the freezer, and when the tray is full, empty it into a freezer bag and start over. I have one of the trays that alternate a larger cube with a smaller one. If a recipe calls for a tablespoon full, I use a larger dripping cube. A teaspoon gets a smaller one. I love having bacon drippings on hand, especially when I get the urge to make cornbread or cornbread dressing from scratch!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Peas and Pasta Recipe:

Pour about a tablespoon of oil in frying pan, add two cups of frozen peas, 1/4 cup of onions. Sprinkle with a generous amount of garlic salt and pepper. Cover and place on low heat. Start a pot of water to boil. When it boils add a half cup of tiny pasta like orzo. Remove cover from peas stirring occasionally as the onions and peas start to brown.

When pasta is cooked, drain, place in bowl, add butter and peas. Sprinkle with more Pepper or garlic salt to taste.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Reviving this poor old thread once again. This isn't JUST for those who live alone, though. When you fry bacon, save the drippings. One of the best ways to do this is to pour them off into an ice cube tray. Stick it in the freezer, and when the tray is full, empty it into a freezer bag and start over. I have one of the trays that alternate a larger cube with a smaller one. If a recipe calls for a tablespoon full, I use a larger dripping cube. A teaspoon gets a smaller one. I love having bacon drippings on hand, especially when I get the urge to make cornbread or cornbread dressing from scratch!
Hello dear Friend!
Because of this BRILLIANT freezing tip I said" you're better than Hints from Heloise"( dating myself,er hm!)and I'm thrilled you told be about this fabulous thread- thank you - so many great suggestions here and hopefully many more to come.Certainly worth reviving!

I live alone and being Sicilian I learned to cook HUGE meals- I don't think my family ever cooked anything that was not able to feed many people -having the mentallity"enough for whoever may come over"- all the time -lol A usual Sunday dinner at Grandma & Grandpa's house the one table was set for about 20,there was another table ready to seat more( just in case).I mention this because it's not easy cutting down recipes down to a one ,2 serving size but then again why do all thst work for a one time only performance so I never did,I separate everything into small portions ahd freeze- you can get very creative with freezing and then you have wonderful meals that took many hours to cook thst you can microwave,,ready in 5 minutes ....I spend many Sundays cooking and filling the freezer with ready meals

Boy,I'm long winded today,lol I wanted to share some ideas for freezing,there's nothing worse than not having room on your freezer or having an unorganized freezer where you have to pull out half of what's in there to get at what you want'-so I'm really big at being organized

Love those heavy duty double seal zip lock bags- when I make a pot of sauce ( which typically includes sausage,meatbsll,pork kock,ribs or stew chunks,skirt steak & brociole( stuffed beef)

I freeze small Tupperware with one of each meat and freeze ,usually there's about 10 of those but for the rest of the sauce I take about one cupful and seal it in a zip lock bag- with these bags laying down flat they give you so much more room and I'm sure to store the little tupperwares some in the back,some in the middle and some up front- after my sauce bags freeze I stack them upright on one door shelf( fits 6!)

So there's pasta meals for a month or 2 with just one Sunday cooking.... happy to share my recipe for Italian meat sauce although my Grandma would tell be to be sure to leave at least one ingredient out,lol..... she wanted to be the " only one who makes it sooooo good"