Cooking Contests

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep the TV on while I am working, kind of like background noise the way some people use music.  A cooking contest came on and it was really ridiculous ingredients, the entree round had a huge beef brisket, butternut squash, toffee chips and a fourth ingredient that I don't remember now.  They were given 30 minutes to come up with an entree.  This one woman who was eliminated was really angry.  She cut a big piece of brisket and put it on the grill, even I know that wouldn't work. She got to the squash and she said one thing that is supposed to cook a long time was enough.  They had access to a pressure cooker but no one used it.  The one that won cut really thin slices seared it on high heat and made an Asian type of dish.

I know I would have cooked that squash in the microwave until it was almost done then seasoned it and finished it in the oven.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love Chopped! Being a judge on that show must be so much fun. Some of the dishes are very odd, but since the judges like them they must be decent tasting. I'd love to be able to taste some of those crazy dishes!

I've seen a few episodes that have prepared ingredients, like a whole slice of carrot cake or a meat pasty. I don't like those types of ingredients as much as a single ones, but I guess they are running out of new stuff to hide in the baskets.

Ahh, brisket. That would be a challenge in 30 min! Slicing thin and using a quick tenderizing marinade with citrus or a flavoured vinegar might do the trick, then slap it on the grill pan. And a sauce that would caramelize on the grill, so maybe a little orange marmalade or honey in the sauce? Or brown sugar. I'd bisque the squash with some carrots, celery, etc. The judges would probably find bisque too obvious or mundane. :lol3: Maybe grill the squash, too, then.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Chopped! Being a judge on that show must be so much fun.
I watch it sometimes.  I can't stand a couple of the Judges though, so when they're on and I happen to tune in, I tune right out.  Alex something other. She scowls and rarely says anything nice.  Then there is some other guy, sorry, forget his name.  40's or early 50's. Short greying hair.  He always knit picks the littlest thing, even when everyone else has nothing but positive to say.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't watch it. I don't watch Food Network at all anymore. I still watch CREATE at night. I would have baked the butternut and used the pressure cooker for the brisket.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't watch Chopped anymore either.  

Last winter I got addicted to the PBS show "The Great British Baking Show"  Only because it was on before Downton Abbey 

It's quite good, I want to see if I can find any of the recipes on it, some of the foods they made on there sounded quite good. 

Cheryl

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I really need to check out The Great British Baking Show as several other people have mentioned it as well. Thank you for the reminder.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been wanting to try Sticky Toffee Pudding.  I have seen recipes for it and it sounds rich to the point of being decadent.