cookie

robinlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 11 year old feral cat who lives on my deck has a horrible issue with her mouth and is not eating, we have tried to trap her to bring her to the vet with no luck any suggestions would be very much appreciated as our hearts are breaking

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any local rescue organizations that could either help you trap her or loan you a drop trap? And do you know if the vet is willing to examine her? The vet might have ideas for trapping her, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robinlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any local rescue organizations that could either help you trap her or loan you a drop trap? And do you know if the vet is willing to examine her? The vet might have ideas for trapping her, too.
Hi thanks for answering my Vet knows all about feral cats and the reason we couldn’t trappers because she’s not eating due to a terrible condition in her mouth that’s why we’re bringing her they’re trying to anyway

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! I think a net may be the only way until she gets too sick to move. If she were eating you could put antibiotics or a sedation pill in her food.

Will she drink? At least try a bowl of unflavored pedialyte instead of water. The electrolytes may perk her up enough to eat something.

I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope someone can net her for you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she would like to eat, meaning her mouth is too sore but she is hungry, you might try using a bait like KFC. If she has no appetite, I completely get that. If you don't know how to use a net, there are videos online. You might have to look through some as there are variations. Some use fishing type nets and lower the cat into a carrier, cutting the net off from the frame, others use a different type of net and try to throw it over the cat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
my 11 year old feral cat who lives on my deck has a horrible issue with her mouth and is not eating, we have tried to trap her to bring her to the vet with no luck any suggestions would be very much appreciated as our hearts are breaking
I am unfamiliar with mouth but can she lick a tiki stick since it's 90% water? Just to help get her in a trap

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She lives on your deck. Is it covered? Where does she go during rain? What I am getting at is, would she go into some form of house? There are very nice small chicken coops built like tiny houses but they have lots of open air through wire walls so she would not feel trapped, and it would be fairly easy to close her in. Then it is just a matter of guiding her out the way you need her to go. A small one could easily be put together with a simple box frame and chicken wire if buying one is out. There are lots of variations on that theme too. I used double door dog cages for some ferals and left both doors open until the cat understood it was a safe place. I then closed one door and latched it and used a string cord strung through the cages cats to the door to snatch the door shut when it was time. If you do that, be sure to keep the cord pulled tight so she won’t try to dash out. I also used fairly large carriers to be beds and houses for the cats. Sometimes a small carrier inside of a large one. The cat would run inside the smaller one to hide and I could just reach in and shut the door. They did use them and covered by a light sheet or tarp meant they did not see me sneak up to shut the door. If food cannot be the way to lure her, shelter is the second big need for a feral. A safe place to be comfortable. If she likes to be up, put the cage on something. If she likes to be under things, cover it.
Have you tried camouflaging the trap? I bought a larger trap and also left it inside the box it came it. Cats usually like boxes as beds. I put a mirror near so I could see the cat inside and I had the door propped open with a bottle of water. The bottle had a string around it so I just yanked the string fast and the door shut. That worked well for me with one cat that had evaded me a long time. I used bedding the cat had already been laying on so her scent was already there.
The main things ferals need is food, safe shelter, water and love. Whether from you or any other cat that may be near. They do want company of a sort. I sometimes just had to leave a window or door open for a cat to enter, cautiously, and explore to find the spot they wanted near me or near other cats. Sometimes it worked quickly. Once I knew they were in, I closed the entrance from outside if I could not do it inside. Hoping you get her quickly.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the drop trap to get Fred who was limping badly, hopping around etc. But it took a few days. He was still eating though. He would not go into the havaheart so I set up the drop trap and fed him and his buddy Cinnamon for a few days under it. Then I waited until Cinnamon was not there and he went under finally on his own.

If your girl is not eating this may not work, but if she is still hungry and trying to eat maybe it will? Otherwise try contacting some local cat trappers in your area and see if they can help. The open door/ window idea can work for some cats too.