Cookie stamps

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I broke mine. I only ever had one and I dropped it on the countertop. Our countertops are granite and nothing that's dropped ever survives. I've been looking all over the place for decent cookie stamps and found some Nordic Ware on Amazon. But until they get here, I bought some plastic stamps at Michaels. $2.00 each and B2G1F. We found six Christmas stamps, so I bought all six. I've not used plastic stamps, so I'm a little wary, but we'll see how they work.

Does anybody stamp cookies?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, raising hand. I bake springerle, using a rolling pin. Some are good, some . . . not so good. The women presenting at Bouman Stickney farmstead museum last Sunday had excellent springerle and speculas. Their stamps, boards, rolling pins on display were all wood so no idea how plastic will compare.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen cookie stamps and rolling pins on Etsy. Plastic would be dishwasher safe :think:

I've never tried cookie stamping before. Is the design still visible after the cookies are baked?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LST3 once stamped the springerle or speculas dough must sit for 24 hours before baking to "set" the design. Here are three images from last Sunday's event to give you a better idea: stamps / boards / rolling pins, then baked springerle, and lastly a stamp and its cookie. Enjoy and feel free to comment. Bouman Stickney-Christmas_2019-12_springerle molds.jpg Bouman Stickney-Christmas_2019-12_springerle.jpg Bouman Stickney-Christmas_2019-12_cockerel mold and cookie.jpg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one stamp that I've only used once. It's wood and the design is the windmill. It came with a cookie mix for speculas.
My step dad is from Holland and LOVES speculas, so when I saw it, I wanted to make them for him. Unfortunately I have not used it again because I don't have a recipe for traditional speculas cookies. I've looked online but many of them are slightly different, so I'm not sure which recipe to try.
If anyone has a nice traditional recipe, where the ingredients could be easily found, I would be so grateful! I know my step dad would love some home made speculas again!