Cooked Recipes Thread

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both @EmmiTemmi and mschauer mschauer . I really appreciate your time and advice. I originally had fed our dog home cooked until he got crystals (vet said typical for his size and breed) bc our previous cat died from cancer and I always thought it was the food.

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Mschauer, first of all thank you so much for the receipes you have posted. They are awesome for those of us that don't have a clue where to begin on homecooked cat meals!

After reading through the different cooked meat receipes that you posted and I have a few questions I'm hoping you or some of the ladies on here can help me with.

1. Can I use the same amount of Alnutrin that is in your chicken receipe for your turkey and salmon receipes?
2. Can I mix in the Alnutrin at each serving using just the portionate amount?
3. I was planning on making broth with the discarded bones from the meat and using the warm broth to heat up the servings at mealtime (hence the reason for adding Alnutrin at serving). Will the broth pose any overages in the nutrient levels of your receipe?
4. Will using only Alnutrin w/calcium suffice or do I need to use additional supplements such as omegas and probotics to provide the most benefit to my cats.
5. Will your receipe be good for both my cats as they are different in age/weight? My kittens are 5lbs (3.5 months) and 8lbs (11 months)? How do you portionate for your cats?

I'm so sorry for all the questions, I'm just very nervous transitioning and want to have all my ducks in a row so to speak! Any help you or any of the ladies on here can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you.:help:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mschauer, first of all thank you so much for the receipes you have posted. They are awesome for those of us that don't have a clue where to begin on homecooked cat meals!
I'm so glad you have found them helpful!
1. Can I use the same amount of Alnutrin that is in your chicken receipe for your turkey and salmon receipes?
You can use the same of Alnutrin in the turkey recipe. I've updated the turkey recipe and added a cooked salmon with Alnutrin recipe with analysis to the Google directory where my recipes can be found: Cooked Recipes - Google Drive
2. Can I mix in the Alnutrin at each serving using just the portionate amount?
Absolutely. I would take care to round up rather than down if you ever have a doubt abut the amount.
3. I was planning on making broth with the discarded bones from the meat and using the warm broth to heat up the servings at mealtime (hence the reason for adding Alnutrin at serving). Will the broth pose any overages in the nutrient levels of your receipe?
Bone broth is very nutritious but unfortunately there is no way to account for how much of each nutrient you are adding by using the broth. Calcium in particular is a concern, perhaps the only concern. It is a mineral and as such will not not affected by the heat used in creating the broth. Bone, of course, contains a lot of calcium so by adding bone broth you would be adding a lot of calcium to the food. Excess minerals in a cats diet can cause urinary problems. I can't say for sure that you would have any problem but I don't recommend trying it.
4. Will using only Alnutrin w/calcium suffice or do I need to use additional supplements such as omegas and probotics to provide the most benefit to my cats.
Whether the addition of omega3 fatty acids and probiotics to a cats diet is beneficial is a subject of much speculation. There is at least some evidence to suggest that they are of benefit but I'm not aware of any definitive proof of that.
5. Will your receipe be good for both my cats as they are different in age/weight? My kittens are 5lbs (3.5 months) and 8lbs (11 months)? How do you portionate for your cats?
My recipes are designed for and are appropriate for healthy, adult cats of any weight. They are also very close to meeting AACFO recommendations for kittens. Personally I would have no concern with feeding them to kittens but I'm afraid you will have to make the final decision on that yourself.
I'm so sorry for all the questions, I'm just very nervous transitioning and want to have all my ducks in a row so to speak! Any help you or any of the ladies on here can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you.:help:
No problem. It is scary when you first look at making the transition.

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your in depth response, I really appreciate it! However, I'm bit confused, the one chicken receipe has 23g of Alnutrin and the other one has the 40g the same as the turkey receipe. If I go with 40g chicken receipe, should I add the 5 capules of fish oil to that or was the fish oil left out because of the chicken hearts that were added in the chicken receipe and not the turkey receipe? :think: Please advise. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your in depth response, I really appreciate it! However, I'm bit confused, the one chicken receipe has 23g of Alnutrin and the other one has the 40g the same as the turkey receipe. If I go with 40g chicken receipe, should I add the 5 capules of fish oil to that or was the fish oil left out because of the chicken hearts that were added in the chicken receipe and not the turkey receipe? :think: Please advise. Thank you!
The 2 recipes you are looking at that have different amounts of Alnutrin also have different amounts of meat and organs making the different amounts of Alnutrin necessary.

The fish oil is a source of omega3 fatty acids and isn't required to make the food nutritional complete. You can add it or not. My recipes, especially the cooked ones, usually come from someone requesting I design one with the ingredients they want to use so they aren't always consistent with regards to ingredients.

catrawfood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can actually do the analysis with Alnutrin now. It's just awkward to not be able to make it clear that the lose of B vitamins due to cooking has been considered.

The rabbit recipe actually is OK with just Alnutrin and no other supplements:

Click here for a directory of printable cooked recipes.
Hi mschauer, first of all thank you so much for posting these great recipes. I am interested in the Beef simplified recipe, do you have any idea how many pounds of food it makes in the end? Also, did you want us to mix all the ingredients first (including the supplements) and then cook it in the pressure cooker till tender? Also last question, is the taurine meant to replace any bones in the recipe? I am wondering if this makes it unhealthy to use long-term for my cat, because I hear many people emphasize the importance of using real bone. Thanks!

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My recipes are designed for and are appropriate for healthy, adult cats of any weight.
Hi! Sorry to dig up an old thread, but mshauer, I wanted to ask about including copper and/or zinc and/or other metal supplements in your cooked recipes when they come up as AAFCO deficient. There are no upper limits for these minerals, and it's my understanding that the AAFCO food trials were brutal, really testing for the smallest quantity to ensure survival, not a quantity to allow a pet to thrive.

Due to food safety concerns related to meat not slaughtered same day and the little research by the veterinary community, I've decided to go cooked. I have an IBD cat who is allergic to chicken and beef, so I would like to try your pork recipe with her and likely other meats with my other cats.

(I'm also interested in your code! I think it's awesome you id his! Thank you for sharing your time and energy with all of us.)