Cooked chicken recipe

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw another post about the Pet Recipe Designer software so I decided to give it a try. What do you all think of this recipe?
recipe1analysis3.png

recipe1analysis1.png

recipe1analysis2.png

Here are some notes:
  • Mussels are an excellent source of manganese.
  • Crickets provide vitamin K. For the record, I'm going to buy some crickets at the pet store near here and feed them as a "prey night" treat. They get sardines once a week, so crickets before provide the vitamin K.
  • I went with the California Gold choline silica complex because the site where I buy my supplements (iHerb) had independently verified the supplement contains what it claims. This was the only choline supplement with such backing.
  • For a 3-pound batch, this works out to 4 eggs. I include the yolks raw but cook the whites. The software didn't have a good way to include that, so I left the whites raw in the recipe. Raw whites contained fewer nutrients than cooked and dried whites (likely due to concentration once the water content was removed), so I used raw whites in the calculator to underestimate.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw another post about the Pet Recipe Designer software so I decided to give it a try. What do you all think of this recipe?
View attachment 383219
View attachment 383220
View attachment 383221
Here are some notes:
  • Mussels are an excellent source of manganese.
  • Crickets provide vitamin K. For the record, I'm going to buy some crickets at the pet store near here and feed them as a "prey night" treat. They get sardines once a week, so crickets before provide the vitamin K.
  • I went with the California Gold choline silica complex because the site where I buy my supplements (iHerb) had independently verified the supplement contains what it claims. This was the only choline supplement with such backing.
  • For a 3-pound batch, this works out to 4 eggs. I include the yolks raw but cook the whites. The software didn't have a good way to include that, so I left the whites raw in the recipe. Raw whites contained fewer nutrients than cooked and dried whites (likely due to concentration once the water content was removed), so I used raw whites in the calculator to underestimate.
few things to know if your not going to feed all the crickets off at once and plan to keep em alive. to feed here an there crickets reek and stink bad make sure to keep em in a dry well ventilated container along with picking out the dead ones every day(they will stink bad and poop alot).can feed em bits of carrots or other fresh veggies to supply their water needs no need to buy those water gel things they sell at pet stores :lol:i feed graycie live crickets now and then when i feed my tarantulas. sometimes she doesnt eat em though and i or my gf will find a soggy chewed up lil mess usually by stepping on em unexpectedly:lol: just something to keep in my mind.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like more work than necessary, but if you're willing to do it, I'm guessing it's ok.
I agree that the recipe seems unnecessarily complicated. Why not cook all the chicken components together? It makes no sense to me to cook simmer, roast, and (especially) pan fry!

More important: Egg white should never be fed raw. It sounds like you cooked them anyway, but since that's a major error on their part (their algorithms should take that into account for cat food!), for me that would be a big red flag on this source of recipes. I admit that I may be overly careful about this stuff.

Dr. Pierson has a simpler recipe on her site, here: Making Cat Food I only ever made it once but our cats loved it in the bone meal version. The thing that's not simpler is that this page is really, really long so even with this link you'll still need to scroll down to the actual recipe.

I hope your cats will eat the crickets! I've seen ours torture basement crickets (camel crickets, I think?) and found lots of cricket corpses. They do seem to eat moths and other insects, though I'm not sure about their nutritional value! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
few things to know if your not going to feed all the crickets off at once and plan to keep em alive. to feed here an there crickets reek and stink bad make sure to keep em in a dry well ventilated container along with picking out the dead ones every day(they will stink bad and poop alot).can feed em bits of carrots or other fresh veggies to supply their water needs no need to buy those water gel things they sell at pet stores :lol:i feed graycie live crickets now and then when i feed my tarantulas. sometimes she doesnt eat em though and i or my gf will find a soggy chewed up lil mess usually by stepping on em unexpectedly:lol: just something to keep in my mind.
Good advice. I've seen others here post about not including vitamin K supplements, and I know Dr. Pierson's recipe (which has essentially undergone a feeding trial via her own feeding and blood testing for decades) is low in vitamin K, so I'm not worried about it. But I do feed straight fish weekly, so I get the crickets and disperse them same day. I've heard the same about them stinking. Otherwise I'd raise them! :biggrin:

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that the recipe seems unnecessarily complicated. Why not cook all the chicken components together? It makes no sense to me to cook simmer, roast, and (especially) pan fry!
That is how the software works. It doesn't have the same cooking options for each cut of meat. Organ meats are especially limited in cooking options. I did put them all in the pressure cooker together when I made it.

More important: Egg white should never be fed raw. It sounds like you cooked them anyway, but since that's a major error on their part (their algorithms should take that into account for cat food!), for me that would be a big red flag on this source of recipes. I admit that I may be overly careful about this stuff.
I made a note that I don't feed it raw. I cook it. The recipe calculator doesn't have an option for "cooked egg white." It has "dried cooked egg whites" and "raw egg whites." Raw egg whites contain fewer nutrients due to the high moisture content. That more closely resembles the nutritional content of cooked egg whites than dried egg white flakes. But you are correct that egg whites should not be fed raw and the above calculations are not 100% accurate because I haven't taken the time to manually input cooked egg whites. I might do that. I'll probably see a nutritionist first.

Dr. Pierson has a simpler recipe on her site, here: Making Cat Food I only ever made it once but our cats loved it in the bone meal version. The thing that's not simpler is that this page is really, really long so even with this link you'll still need to scroll down to the actual recipe.
I did that one for months. I ran it through the calculator and it's nutritionally lacking (by AAFCO standards) in copper, iron, and several other areas. Given that two of mine have had bouts of anemia on canned food and that others in my house have health issues, I'd rather meet the AAFCO metal requirements now so I don't have to worry if that is a contributing factor to anemia or other health problems in the future. I know the recipe I made is more complicated. Meeting the AAFCO standards with cooked meat and a minimal number of supplements is slightly complicated, but not really much more than Dr. Pierson's recipe. Just add heart. The software also gives batch recipes, so I knew how much of each to use to make a 6 lb batch. I posted the single portion because the software can't show the nutritional requirement and the batch at the same time. I'm also still tweaking it, so I didn't want to release an unfinished product into the wild. I've already changed iodine sources and will definitely change more.

I hope your cats will eat the crickets! I've seen ours torture basement crickets (camel crickets, I think?) and found lots of cricket corpses. They do seem to eat moths and other insects, though I'm not sure about their nutritional value! :)
They love the crickets. I've been doing that for years for behavioral enrichment. Now it serves a dual purpose. Thanks for your supply.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like more work than necessary, but if you're willing to do it, I'm guessing it's ok.

Have you seen this? Cooked Recipes - Google Drive It 's several cooked recipes.
Thanks. I wanted something that met the established nutritional standards using cooked meat and a minimal number of supplements. Alnutrin, BalanceIt, TCFeline, etc are providing minerals as supplements. This recipe provides minerals purely from the meat. The recipes in the folder without premixes are not balanced, which is my goal for reasons I outlined in the post above this. I make 6 lb batches, so it's not like I'm cooking each meal each time! Sorry, the software makes it look that way. I was just proud of having balanced a recipe with a single protein source and minimal supplements, as it took several hours to do.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting!! Looks really appealing, I liked that you posted it for one portion, as I like to make just one serving or so when trying new recipes.