cook diet vs freeze dry

jamie shermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
am hoping to learn from you all. My cat was on prescription diet and i now shift to freeze dry. His poo firm up and I am quite pleased. However the vet against raw diet and suggest me to give back cooked meat to my cat. Is that true that freeze dry is easier to digest as compare to cook meet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many vets are against raw diets of any kind for various reasons: they've seen too many clients feed an unbalanced diet which results in nutritional deficiencies, concerns about bacteria in raw meat, etc. It's ok to disagree with the vet about food. It's YOUR cat so you make the decisions on what to feed. Just make sure the brand of freeze dried raw you are feeding is a complete diet. Some are just toppers / treats.

Raw diets are much more digestible than canned or dry food. Home cooked diets are also very digestible. Which to feed is up to you and what your cat likes.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second everything that LTS3 LTS3 writes. And want to add that there's also nothing wrong with feeding your cat home-cooked food (with complete supplementation) plus freeze-dried raw food. We do and our cats love the variety.

Also, depending on the specific freeze-dried raw foods you have available, you might be able to seek out foods that have undergone HPP -- high pressure processing -- that kills bacteria. Our vet's not thrilled about raw food either but she feels better if it's undergone HPP. (Fortunately our cats love some of those foods!) It seems that foods with poultry are most likely to go through HPP.