Converting Furniture to Play Structure

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Howdy folks,

Not sure where the right place to put this is. Sassy has recently become absolutely fascinated by the drawers in my kitchen, to the point that I've had to install child locks to prevent her from opening them, hopping inside, and occasionally getting stuck behind them. This is very cute and funny, of course, but it's a bit inconvenient, and I would love to think of a way to stimulate her curiosity around these fabulous devices full of treasures.

Can anyone think of a way that I could convert some sort of existing chest of drawers, maybe from Ikea or the like, into a fun, safe place for her to relax and explore?

My big safety concerns right now are around her getting stuck behind the cabinets (this has happened numerous times, where I have to take the drawers out to free her, though she never seems stressed out about it) and pinching her paws on the tracks. The drawers are light enough that I don't worry about her slamming anything in them, but those are the two problems I'd like to solve.

Any crafty types here have any thoughts?

Will post photos of Sassy in the drawers when I'm not at work.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdy folks,

Not sure where the right place to put this is. Sassy has recently become absolutely fascinated by the drawers in my kitchen, to the point that I've had to install child locks to prevent her from opening them, hopping inside, and occasionally getting stuck behind them. This is very cute and funny, of course, but it's a bit inconvenient, and I would love to think of a way to stimulate her curiosity around these fabulous devices full of treasures.

Can anyone think of a way that I could convert some sort of existing chest of drawers, maybe from Ikea or the like, into a fun, safe place for her to relax and explore?

My big safety concerns right now are around her getting stuck behind the cabinets (this has happened numerous times, where I have to take the drawers out to free her, though she never seems stressed out about it) and pinching her paws on the tracks. The drawers are light enough that I don't worry about her slamming anything in them, but those are the two problems I'd like to solve.

Any crafty types here have any thoughts?

Will post photos of Sassy in the drawers when I'm not at work.
:lol:funny you mention ikea i was there just the other day. i see plenty of stuff that can be used as a kitty gym or hide outs etc.they always have those cubby type shelves with no drawers for storage we have one thats got 9 squares that graycie uses all the time to nap or just hang out in. safest thing ofcourse would be a giant cat tree if your local to southern california i know of a couple places you can get custom cat trees made to order or you can walk into and shop for one. almost forgot there is an online store that sells wall mounted cat shelves that are mounted to your walls you can create a highway up high for your cat using them

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You can remove the last bottom drawer so that Sassy have an escape route.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use one of those block bookshelves. Cut the backs off some of those fabric drawers to make them think they're in a drawer.

I've seen some people make DIY versions of this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B088R6RBH3/?tag= Can't find the plans right now.

Basically you could install cat doors to many items.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She gets all your attention when she’s doing that right? lol Try completely ignoring it first, they get over it quickly when there’s no fun in it. The thing to consider with cats is they have hangouts and spaces that they choose. Building furniture is a big gamble, and can be a big letdown. Cats are unpredictable - they have a favorite spot and then they randomly find another favorite spot. They don’t really need a small house, they have a much bigger one to hang out in, with comfy large cushions. I’m not trying to discourage by any means, it’s just your kitty is exploring her world right now. If you do build something though the higher up it is the better chance she’ll like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha! She doesn't get much attention when she does it because I know that's encouraging her - only when I have to remove one of the drawers to retrieve her from behind the cabinet. There's enough free furniture on craigslist that it might be a fun, low-risk project, but yeah. I think I've been through four cat trees in the past year because she just likes what she likes.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you happen to be a lucky owner of a jig saw I imagine the possibilities are pretty endless with modifying a piece of secondhand furniture!

I'm picturing a chest of drawers with a hole or two cut in the drawer faces. One or more of the drawers could be removed entirely to make the inside more roomy (but the drawer face kept and fixed in place), little half shelves on the inside for places to jump up, maybe even an access hole at the top or sides? Just one idea. Definitely a lot of room to get creative.

I tried to illustrate some possibilities:

IMG_2979.JPG

I'd love to see what you come up with, so please keep us posted!

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh an as far as preventing Sassy from getting stuck behind the drawers, maybe blocking off the empty space with something? Pillow stuffing and upholstery foam cut to size come to mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you happen to be a lucky owner of a jig saw I imagine the possibilities are pretty endless with modifying a piece of secondhand furniture!

I'm picturing a chest of drawers with a hole or two cut in the drawer faces. One or more of the drawers could be removed entirely to make the inside more roomy (but the drawer face kept and fixed in place), little half shelves on the inside for places to jump up, maybe even an access hole at the top or sides? Just one idea. Definitely a lot of room to get creative.

I tried to illustrate some possibilities:

View attachment 445051

I'd love to see what you come up with, so please keep us posted!
Oh, I love this. Recent life events have sidelined my desire to complete this project (Sassy is totally fine, it's just general stuff) but that may have inspired me all over again.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel you on life overwhelm! Hope everything is going okay for you and that any stress is settling down. If momentum strikes, do keep us in the loop, but no pressure :)