Convenia

Melodic7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi 👋

Has anyone got experience with Convenia antibiotic injection? My cat Sunny had this and a day later his eating slowed down and 2 weeks and 3 days later still not eating. I mean he's had little bits of food, but just very small amounts. He is being monitored by a vet, but they are saying it shouldn't be related to the injection. I know it lasts in their system up to 65 days, I'm hoping the no eating doesn't last this long.

My question is has anyone else experienced this and and if so how long did it take your cat to start eating?

He does have other issues but, the no eating literally started the day after the injection.

Thank you,
Mel and Sunny 😽

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such a controversial medication that I wish it would be taken off the market. I am so very sorry you're having this experience with your kitty, but I'm thankful that you've made contact with the vet and that the vet is monitoring the situation.

There are many posts here about Convenia. I am not a fan of this medication at all. I have had 2 cats get this shot at different times in their lives and they were like zombies for about 10 days, only getting up to eat (very much reduced appetite) and go potty. There was no playing and no interacting. This is a medication that is used off label and usually not for its intended purpose, which is skin issues if I remember correctly. Vets like it because it's easy and there's no pilling. Owners like it for the same reason. I would prefer to pill my cat or pay extra for a compounded treat medication than to give a convenia injection.

Here's a link to the search of previous posts on Convenia: Search Results for Query: Convenia

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Convenia is used very often and successfully in cats. Many who maintain feral colonies use it routinely as there is no other way to give an antibiotic to a feral cat. However, it is controversial, as was stated, and there are complaints of side effects.

My one experience with it, a few months ago, resulted in what you are describing with Sunny. My cat was taken back to the vet for monitoring and regained his former self. He is fine now with no long term side effects.

It was given for a UTI and skin infection, and I will say that the skin infection literally cleared up in front of my eyes. However, I refused to allow it to be given to another cat who had FIC a month later.

You can talk to Zoetis directly about this and open a case with them which I did for my cat.

Allergic reactions to CONVENIA are possible. The primary side effects reported with CONVENIA injections in cats and dogs are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and decreased appetite. These side effects are uncommon, similar to the incidence rates of other antibiotics. Zoetis takes its responsibility to collect information on side effects very seriously. We have a call center where you can report any adverse reactions or ask any questions. Please call Zoetis at 888-ZOETIS1 (888-963-8471).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melodic7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. So just an update, Sunny started eating at the 3 week mark, however hes now at 4 weeks and definitely not getting his full calories in, he is still not quite himself. He's not interested in his favourite games, treats he loves he now turns his nose up at. How long did it take for your kitty to return to normal or did they? Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Zoetis told me that most reactions occur in the first 14 days, although the medication stays in the body for 65 days. It took Rikki about a week, including an extra day at the vet's office for support, in order to improve. Make sure that Sunny is eating enough to sustain himself and keep monitoring him. If anything seems to worsen, call the vet. If he were my cat, I would probably check in with them anyway and ask for their opinion of his continued lethargy and lessended appetite...which are two of the major side effects.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took my girls about 10 days to start eating regularly. It was still reduced, but they weren't in a zombie-like state and they were more coherent and eating. Hopefully as time goes along, your baby will regain appetite and activity level.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has had a few convenia shots. I can't say I've seen her have a reaction from it. My 10 year old girl had one two weeks ago for a UTI and I didn't notice any change in her behavior but she was already under a bit from the UTI.

I live alone and I can't pill her. I've yet to see a vet or vet tech that can pill her solo either. So for us the benefits of this shot outweigh any potential drawbacks.

I would ask WHY did your cat get this shot? Is it possible your kitty is a bit under for the very reason that required the shot?

terrimontes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi 👋

Has anyone got experience with Convenia antibiotic injection? My cat Sunny had this and a day later his eating slowed down and 2 weeks and 3 days later still not eating. I mean he's had little bits of food, but just very small amounts. He is being monitored by a vet, but they are saying it shouldn't be related to the injection. I know it lasts in their system up to 65 days, I'm hoping the no eating doesn't last this long.

My question is has anyone else experienced this and and if so how long did it take your cat to start eating?

He does have other issues but, the no eating literally started the day after the injection.
Thank you,
Mel and Sunny 😽
what has been the outcome with your kitty? I am experiencing this nightmare right now. Have they done anything to get your kitten to eat? What sort of tests or treatments has he had since this time?