Convenia

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry you lost your pet. That is a rough thing to have happen.

Ailish has had Convenia several times, including last week, for skin issues. She has had no problem at all with it and it has worked each time. It does not tend to make her tired. In fact, she has been quite peppy since she had it on Tuesday, I'm sure it is just a coincidence.
Any medication that has an effect is going to have side effects in some animals. I know that is not going to make you feel better about your loss. It's a risk we all take when we treat a sick pet. Also, without actual proof that it was the Convenia that hurt you cat it's just guessing to say it killed him.

My concern is more the injection site issue. On the other hand, I know that pilling a cat can be very hit or miss, which isn't great when we're talking about an antibiotic. Part of the reason for Convenia is that the dosage can be controlled better than giving them pills. Trying to figure out what is right is difficult sometimes.
Without actual proof, you are just guessing that it didn't kill them.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat died from Convenia. She got progressively worse and the vet that gave her the shot never told me what she did and she did not put it in the medical records. I only found out after my cat died when I was reviewing my cat's bills - she BILLED me for the shot but didn't put it in the chart. I had my girl to 2 other vets who thought she got poisoned but we couldn't figure it out. She had 2 blood transfusions and was in the hospital a week. The poor cat went through HELL - and then I had to put her down because they couldn't get it out of her system. This was a young, healthy cat who CUT HER PAW - she needed ONE STITCH and wound up DEAD because the lazy, stupid, vet gave her this anti-biotic. They KNOW it has terrible side effects, they KNOW cats die from it - there are tried and true and safe anti-biotics on the market yet they USE this. I will no longer use any vet who tells me they take a chance and use this drug. I sent the records to the FDA and they sent me a 20 page form to fill out. This is why it is still on the market. Never let the vet inject this toxin into your pet. It is not worth it.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Other than in controlled conditions (I.e. clinical trials), and certain cases of ISS, it is nearly impossible to determine whether Convenia alone has killed a cat in most cases.

Generally speaking, virtually all cats receiving Convenia have preexisting risk factors to begin with - that’s why they’re given antibiotics. And this dramatically complicates determining a cause of death.

And along the lines of what Ailish said - you can’t prove a negative.

Convenia absolutely has it’s place and is generally very safe. Death is a side effect of nearly every medication, so that alone means nothing.

My vet clinic uses Convenia as a default for surgeries in cats and sometimes other circumstances too. A vet with 30 years experience there told me I was the first person he had ever encountered to request oral antibiotics for a cat in lieu of Convenia - yet cats are not dropping at alarming or even disproportionate rates after being treated with Convenia there.

And while some people think not being able to handle a cat isn’t an excuse - well, be thankful you have had the privilege to make such a judgmental assertion.

When a cat has a life threatening infection, or an infection on top of other vulnerable comorbidities like CKD, and they aren’t eating and can’t be handled, the risk of Convenia is inconsequential relative to the risk of untreated infection.

My sister’s cat when through a serious episode of lethargy and total anorexia a few months back, just from a UTI. Antibiotics turned it around completely, and luckily getting medicine into her cat is not an issue. But if it was, a calculated risk to opt for Convenia would have been warranted. The cat was already dying.

And as someone else mentioned, it’s often necessary for ferals, especially if they aren’t eating or eating reliably. Same for other pet cats who otherwise weren’t properly socialized, certain traumatized cats, or cats who are a significantly difficult to handle and in extremely delicate physical condition - it’s simply too dangerous to wrangle and fight with a cat like that 2x/day for 2-3 weeks.

From the perspective of a vet, it’s hard enough to get cat owners to bring their cats in anywhere near the rate of dog owners. Many are simply not willing to put in the effort to pill a difficult cat, or the owner’s schedule or reliability regarding administering antibiotics on the proper schedule is difficult or brought into question. Same for clients treating an outdoor only cat where the cat may not reliably come back.

Convenia has it’s place, and while it has definitely caused death and complications in some cats, it has almost certainly saved exceedingly more.

Personally, we do everything to avoid the elevated risk of Convenia and opt for oral antibiotics whenever possible - and I was absolutely furious once when a vet forgot about our previous conversation about this and I saw Convenia injection on the receipt - but we do use it in the circumstances and for the cats who warrant its use.

And I also agree that vets should at least talk to and try to convince owners to go the oral route wherever possible, and better inform clients of the elevated risks of Convenia compared to alternatives.

But that doesn’t mean use of Convenia is always inappropriate for every cat or situation.

Also, I’m highly skeptical that probiotics could “save” a cat from a Convenia reaction. A cat with a reaction severe enough to warrant being “saved”, is not going to benefit that substantially (if at all) from probiotics alone. As it is, probiotics have extremely limited and conflicting evidence to back up their efficacy in humans, let alone cats, and especially as it pertains to promoting a significant immune response.

My heart is sincerely with every one of you who has lost a cat. I hear and share many of your concerns about Convenia.

But while I agree there is elevated risk, that alternatives should be pursued (where possible), and it is generally overused, that does not justify the overt fear mongering or total vilification of a drug that saves far more lives than it harms.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat died from Convenia. She got progressively worse and the vet that gave her the shot never told me what she did and she did not put it in the medical records. I only found out after my cat died when I was reviewing my cat's bills - she BILLED me for the shot but didn't put it in the chart. I had my girl to 2 other vets who thought she got poisoned but we couldn't figure it out. She had 2 blood transfusions and was in the hospital a week. The poor cat went through HELL - and then I had to put her down because they couldn't get it out of her system. This was a young, healthy cat who CUT HER PAW - she needed ONE STITCH and wound up DEAD because the lazy, stupid, vet gave her this anti-biotic. They KNOW it has terrible side effects, they KNOW cats die from it - there are tried and true and safe anti-biotics on the market yet they USE this. I will no longer use any vet who tells me they take a chance and use this drug. I sent the records to the FDA and they sent me a 20 page form to fill out. This is why it is still on the market. Never let the vet inject this toxin into your pet. It is not worth it.
I am so sorry.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your precious kitty went through that and for your suffering and loss. It is not something you ever get over. I will never allow the use of the drug again and I try to warn as many people as I can about it. Sadly it is still on the market about eight years after Angie passed. I know that I have warned a lot of people away from using it so I take comfort in that and I have saved some cats and dogs lives by warning people and by continuing speaking out against it. There is at least one Dvm who is also speaking out against it now too so tide may be turning.

Many people will defend it. If their cat or dog ends up suffering and passes because of it we will see how they feel. Some cats do not have a severe reaction until after several injections so don’t think you’re OK just because your cat had it once or twice and they were ok.

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a whole facebook page dedicated to convienia horror stories. I'm realizing that this drug as long suspected by me is the reason for my beautiful Gems death. Her health problems started after after her original convienia shot for an ingrown nail that had to be pulled out of her pad at end of September 2018. Her bloodwork was normal She weighed 8.80 lbs. I trusted the vet who did not give any side affect information. My choice to trust will haunt me forever. She started vomiting on and off, and was constipated for the first time. Her xray was normal. Still not putting two and two together and the vet not suggesting that it could be the culprit- she used convienia again when Gem had teeth pulled. This led to a downward health spiral- weight loss, muscle wasting, anemia, pancreatitus because of, and death from a pleural effusion in August 2020. Don't risk it, I can't believe something that has the potential to kill is even allowed. Use something else and ask questions about any drug side affects before using. And if you have any doubt read the facebook page- and Lisa Pierson DMV article on it. I wish I had.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a whole facebook page dedicated to convienia horror stories. I'm realizing that this drug as long suspected by me is the reason for my beautiful Gems death. Her health problems started after after her original convienia shot for an ingrown nail that had to be pulled out of her pad at end of September 2018. Her bloodwork was normal She weighed 8.80 lbs. I trusted the vet who did not give any side affect information. My choice to trust will haunt me forever. She started vomiting on and off, and was constipated for the first time. Her xray was normal. Still not putting two and two together and the vet not suggesting that it could be the culprit- she used convienia again when Gem had teeth pulled. This led to a downward health spiral- weight loss, muscle wasting, anemia, pancreatitus because of, and death from a pleural effusion in August 2020. Don't risk it, I can't believe something that has the potential to kill is even allowed. Use something else and ask questions about any drug side affects before using. And if you have any doubt read the facebook page- and Lisa Pierson DMV article on it. I wish I had.
I am so sorry about Gem😿💔 please report this to the fda and zoetis and warn everyone you know. Hugs to you, run free Gem❤🐾🌈

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Gem😿💔 please report this to the fda and zoetis and warn everyone you know. Hugs to you, run free Gem❤🐾🌈
Hi, yes I've told everyone I know and will report. I'm thinking of handing flyers to the pet stores I use to post.
Happy New Year to you and yours, and thank you for your kind words!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes I've told everyone I know and will report. I'm thinking of handing flyers to the pet stores I use to post.
Happy New Year to you and yours, and thank you for your kind words!
You’re welcome💕 Happy New Year 😻 Sadly those who discuss what happened to their furbabe due to convenia will often be criticized by some people who defend it and who will not acknowledge its obvious dangers, the main one being how it acts and remains in the system, if a severe reaction occurs it can’t be stopped. My father, who is a scientist, warned me not use it as soon as I told him about it due to this, my dvm office at that time was pushing it as soon as it came out as the new antibiotic on the block. Don’t let that stop you from handing out your flyers and telling people about what happened. There is no need to use it, there are numerous other safe antibiotics that can be used which don’t have these dangers. In Angie’s case it turned out she had cancer, there was no sign of any bacterial infection and she never should have been given this drug. I was ill myself at the time and was not thinking clearly when I allowed it, a decision I will regret forever.

Last edited:

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’re welcome💕 Happy New Year 😻 Sadly those who discuss what happened to their furbabe due to convenia will often be criticized by some people who defend it and who will not acknowledge its obvious dangers, the main one being how it acts and remains in the system, if a severe reaction occurs it can’t be stopped. My father, who is a scientist, warned me not use it as soon as I told him about it due to this, my dvm office at that time was pushing it as soon as it came out as the new antibiotic on the block. Don’t let that stop you from handing out your flyers and telling people about what happened. There is no need to use it, there are numerous other safe antibiotics that can be used which don’t have these dangers. In Angie’s case it turned out she had cancer, there was no sign of any bacterial infection and she never should have been given this drug. I was ill myself at the time and was not thinking clearly when I allowed it, a decision I will regret forever.
Its a horrible drug, and I'm so sorry about Angie, it not acceptable.The first time Gem got convenia the vet just gave it to her without asking me- when she had the nail grown into her pad. I have panicked emails to the vet because Gem was vomiting but no mention that convenia potentially caused it. Gem wasn't throwing up before that visit. I didnt put two and two together because the vet didnt say anything. When she gave it to Gem after having teeth pulled she did ask and only said that it would be helpful because I wouldnt have to pill her-and if her mouth was sore it would be hard to do so. No mention of any life threatening, toxic, or illness causing lack of appetite that just goes on.
These forums exist not just for support- but for information we're not getting from the vet, and I've seen so many examples of bad vets, or just jaded to the point of throwing out a disease thats common as the reason for something. I stopped going to this vet after because the trust was gone. I feel I have to at least help put the information out there- ask questions people! Don't just trust the vet is doing the right thing. My feet have been like lead weights since she died, I feel so responsible for making the wrong decision and watched my beautiful Gem diminish, no one wants that.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a horrible drug, and I'm so sorry about Angie, it not acceptable.The first time Gem got convenia the vet just gave it to her without asking me- when she had the nail grown into her pad. I have panicked emails to the vet because Gem was vomiting but no mention that convenia potentially caused it. Gem wasn't throwing up before that visit. I didnt put two and two together because the vet didnt say anything. When she gave it to Gem after having teeth pulled she did ask and only said that it would be helpful because I wouldnt have to pill her-and if her mouth was sore it would be hard to do so. No mention of any life threatening, toxic, or illness causing lack of appetite that just goes on.
These forums exist not just for support- but for information we're not getting from the vet, and I've seen so many examples of bad vets, or just jaded to the point of throwing out a disease thats common as the reason for something. I stopped going to this vet after because the trust was gone. I feel I have to at least help put the information out there- ask questions people! Don't just trust the vet is doing the right thing. My feet have been like lead weights since she died, I feel so responsible for making the wrong decision and watched my beautiful Gem diminish, no one wants that.
Thanks... So sorry for your pain😿 and your loss of poor Gem. I also received no warnings of the possible severe side effects even though I asked about it since it was a new drug. Had I looked it up first I would have read about the dangers and would not have allowed it. There are almost no long acting antibiotic injections at all allowed in people, (convenia specifically is not allowed in people), and there is a reason why, there is too much potential for severe reactions.
Others have said their cat or dog was given it without consent as well. I have never seen anything like this happen before in veterinary medicine. I am glad you are warning people. We always have to be on the look out for this and research each drug. Hugs💕